Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F: 59.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 10.00
Flashpoint in F: 390
Coolant: 0
Fuel: Water: 0
Insolubles: 0.3

Comments:
Wear looks good in the first sample from your Impreza. Universal averages for the 2.5L are
based on an oil run of about 4,000 miles. That's exactly how long your oil was run and we are happy to see
all wear reading at or better than average. Lead was excellent at 0 ppm, and this shows virtually no wear
from the rod and main bearings. No harmful fuel dilution or anti-freeze was found and the viscosity of the oil
read in the 5W/30 range. We see no signs of any obvious problems developing in this data and a longer oil
run should be fine. Try going up to 6,000 miles

Oil filter was Champion Labs STP filter from Auto Zone. Car was raced to redline many times. Did not use a drop of oil.

[Thanks to Jakegday for the resize! -Bill]
11.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Will you be extending the OCI? I would probably gradually push it to 7,500 miles if it were me.

-Dennis

Unfortunately, I just purchased a huge stash of Eneos from Amazon, so I won't be running PU for a long time. I'll be sure to get a UOA on the Eneos since it's such a new oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
4,000 miles is way to short of an OCI.

agree for a non turbo subie. but as for Turbo i would slowly raise the OCI

Amazing how that statement can be made without knowing if severe service is involved. Have you ever driven on I95 at 4:30 in the aft. ???
21.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
4,000 miles is way to short of an OCI.

I would guess you have never driven on Dan Ryan at 3;30 in Chic.Because if did you would 4,000 oci would not be low but necessary. these statements re. oci without knowledge of how or where the person drives are without any thought, just routine web site blabber.
31.gif
Originally Posted By: tig1
Again another low OCI for a high quality oil.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
I would guess you have never driven on Dan Ryan at 3;30 in Chic.Because if did you would 4,000 oci would not be low but necessary.

I sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic on I-290 every day, twice a day. I still don't think 4k OCI is "necessary". I'll do a UOA at 10K miles to see...

Of course there is more to it... oil sump, engine type, etc...

Last edited:
And not to mention that n/a Subaru's are notoriously easy on most oils in most applications. I've got two n/a Subes.
11.gif

-Dennis

It doesn't matter about the severe service.

With an oil as stout as PU, even a severe service OCI should be 7.5k....this OCI is a waste, and that is a FACT.

I tend to agree that this oil was not stressed at this length of service. I also doubt it would be stressed at 7500+. There's only one way to find out.

OCI choice is often governed by other factors than oil fatigue. My observations are that many are unwilling to do ONE YEAR OCI's and that they tend to desire to fit the total maintenance scheme into the year. Some in a mono-seasonal climate can go strictly by mileage. You could include those who are not DIY'r's, but it usually breaks down to 2, 3, or 4 service points a year.

If you're only doing 10k/year, that works out to between 4k-6k per OCI regardless of the service duty. Will it be a waste? Perhaps, but doing 9month OCI's isn't a sensible method for many, especially in a 4 season climate.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
I would guess you have never driven on Dan Ryan at 3;30 in Chic.Because if did you would 4,000 oci would not be low but necessary. these statements re. oci without knowledge of how or where the person drives are without any thought, just routine web site blabber.
31.gif
Originally Posted By: tig1
Again another low OCI for a high quality oil.

It seems that name calling and making personal insults is popular here on BITOG at times by a very few. No need to be that way as it doesn't help your post at all.

As for the OCI, I believe 4K is too short for this oil. I'll stick with that.

Since this thread is about Ultra and oci, I'll ask a question. Let's say someone does very short trips (not enough time to warm the engine much) several times a day for 5 days a week. What would the max amount of miles he should put on Ultra?

I was going to try 7500 miles and do an UOA, but considering that I drive over to campus and Nissan V6s are hard on oil, I might just stick with 5000 miles.

Ultra seems to be astout oil, with lots of TBN. I'd say 7500 is easily possible with ANY service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back