Got an email from Amsoil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
....stating the filter I use for my civic should not be used for the 1yr drain interval and should be replaced according to what honda says to do. This kinda bothers me. Reason I bought Amsoil was for the 1yr interval. Cost is about the same for it but saves me time from changing the oil 3times year vs 1 time a year.
I called to ask about it and the tech guy said they got a few complaints that the low oil pressure light is coming on and now they are testing to see why. Well i have done 18k/1yr and had nothing of that sort happen to me. I didnt even have to add any makeup oil. At the end of the 1yr the dipstock showed the oil in between full and add. Anyways amsoil sends me a wix filter and an extra quart of SSO 30w free of charge to make up for the fact i have to change it earlier. I'm thinking of still doing the 1yr interval. Any suggestions?

I'd follow Honda on this deal. Sometimes these extended drains can be a problem, especially if they didn't run ample testing of the filters as in this example.
27.gif
Good to see Amsoil is on top of things.

I have nothing but experience to back this up. So, this is an experienced opinion.

I don't think you would have issue with doing exactly as you have been. It took a very long time for the number of obscure incidents of problems for Amsoil to pull the recommendation. It's not like the Toy/Lexus issue. I think that the EaO was introduced in Oct of 2005 ..so it took just shy of 5 years for it to require any action.

I don't think that your higher mileage weighted ONE YEAR OCI would be the problem with the EaO. I imagine it's the 6k-8k ONE YEAR OCI

When the oil pressure idiot light comes on, that's a serious problem. You are on the verge of ruining an engine if you haven't already done it. Take advantage of what other have experienced instead of waiting for your light to come on.

The Civic isn't the first car Amsoil has had long filter change interval problems with. You would be wise to follow their advice.

Sounds like according to Amsoil you don't need to change the oil, just the filter.

At least Amsoil is notifying customers.

I'm a little Fuzzy on this. Did the OP email Amsoil or call them and provide an email address? Or did they just contact everyone who bought those filters that left an email address?

I think its the EAO13?? They dont list it as choice for my civic anymore. Thing is if im going to have to get under my car to replace the filter then I'm going to change the oil too. So if thats the case then I see no need to use amsoil. I might aswell just get oil from the store.

Gary
You are saying with less miles put on the filter that is what is causing the problem?

I have a sample from my first run but never sent it in. It almost came to do the second change so i figured i would wait to send both in. Unfortunately i developed the "coolant seepage" through the block a few months back and got a new shortblock put in so that oil got dumped. I think this dealer used M1 oil not sure, but i got amsoil left so thats what will be going in for the "fist" oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm a little Fuzzy on this. Did the OP email Amsoil or call them and provide an email address? Or did they just contact everyone who bought those filters that left an email address?

I would assume being i payed for the membership deal they got my email from that. They contacted me.

Impressive about Amsoil letting their customers know what may be a problem. Very few companies come out and say don't do this esp after marketing the product as extended OCI.

Hats off!

Interesting that we seem to be going back to the old standby... Amsoil, Mobil and such say the following;

Follow the manual!

I like that. I also like companies that don't make blanket statements for every vehicle out there.

Watch their app charts though. They are incorrect for 2 things on 2 of my vehicles. Follow your manual on correct CAPACITIES (or to double check)

Some vehicles can not do a extended OCI (My Toyota also has a warning from Amsoil on the filters)

Got to give Amsoil a big
thumbsup2.gif

well i was pretty happy with the extended interval. barely any oil consumption, fuel mileage stayed the same through out and the engine ran fine.

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
well i was pretty happy with the extended interval. barely any oil consumption, fuel mileage stayed the same through out and the engine ran fine.

Well remember that Amsoil is sending out the notice because there has been a problem (or their testing now shows a possible one) but you may be not a issue... YET.

Personally, I'd play and follow their advice/warning. I'd HATE to prove them CORRECT!

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409

Gary
You are saying with less miles put on the filter that is what is causing the problem?

Insolubles load a filter. Your steady state miles are very light in insoluble production. Higher mileage types would be less likely to load a filter as opposed to those who are constantly in fuel enrichment. That's why manufacturers allow (in many cases) the changing of the filter every other time if mileage is used to change the oil.

There are other factors, but they're not as pronounced as the warm up cycle.

My speculation, at least in the EaO Honda issue, is that it took around 5 years for enough market penetration to find those who happen to do the right combination shot to miscue with the 8 ball. The Toy/Lexus thing was very quick in comparison.

Last edited:
not sure if it would fit. would be a big pain to buy one and then have it no fit being amsoil is not down the street.

Johnny,

They did offer an EAO filter...EAO13 but now ofcourse they dont.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back