M1-EP now meets GF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Good, maybe cam pad wear reductions will now be proportional to the cost of the highly touted product. The Basic M1 sure leaves a lot to be desired in wear control in the valve train.

Hmmmmmmmm, perhaps this is why some, but not all, folks have seen elevated iron in their UOA reports with M1? Just a conjecture.

offtopic.gif

back when delvac1 came out it was hard on diesel engine valve trains. the dealership i worked at back then serviced a fleet of trucks with 855 cumins engines and the then new 100k oil. the valve lash on those engines needed more udjustment then others using dino. but i don't ever recall an oil related failure. just my 2 cents.

It's important, IMO, to evaluate the entire performance of an oil, not just one aspect. For instance, Amsoil thickens, RL shows higher Pb and M1 shows higher Fe. However, M1 stays in grade nicely and keeps engines clean over really long drains (as do others). On Amsoil's website they mentioned how dirt is the #1 enemy of an engine and causes more problems, not the oil. All oils are capable of controlling wear and we have seen that on here.

ebaker wrote: It's not fair to say a line of oils has a problem and not be more specific.

Well, it seems to me it isn't required of Mr. Dyson to tell us anything for free. Oil Analyis/performance/recommendation is what he does for a living. I think he laid a pretty big golly-whopper hint right in front of us....one that is worth paying attention to. You want the full story? Employ his services! It's really pretty cheap for the information you get.
cheers.gif

I agree with ebaker. Terry is a great member and I'm sure has helped many, but to use his expertise to sow Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt in us "common folk" and then leave us hanging is not right in the forum section. I take it that he is saying that he knows the real problems with specific motor oil brands and also has solid recommendations based on years of data and experience, but it will cost you to find out more.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that this portion of BITOG is a FORUM where folks SHARE information, more or less as respected equals.

Terry, you have a great service to sell, we all know that you are a good site sponsor and we know how to contact you. Please don't "dangle" worrysome PARTIAL information in front of an easily-paniced herd (it would be better for us not to know) and then imply that hiring you is the only option to ease our minds. These sorts of "business strategies" tend to ruin forums.

quote:

Originally posted by SWS:
I agree with ebaker. Terry is a great member and I'm sure has helped many, but to use his expertise to sow Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt in us "common folk" and then leave us hanging is not right in the forum section. I take it that he is saying that he knows the real problems with specific motor oil brands and also has solid recommendations based on years of data and experience, but it will cost you to find out more.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that this portion of BITOG is a FORUM where folks SHARE information, more or less as respected equals.

Terry, you have a great service to sell, we all know that you are a good site sponsor and we know how to contact you. Please don't "dangle" worrysome PARTIAL information in front of an easily-paniced herd (it would be better for us not to know) and then imply that hiring you is the only option to ease our minds. These sorts of "business strategies" tend to ruin forums.

He told us already. read it again. do you want him to say mobil one is junk in a public forum? i don't think that would be good for him to do in his line of work. look at the UOA's. were do you think that iron comes from? do you think mobil's add pack just scavenges it from the atmosphere?

All oils have some inherent weakness - Amsoil=thickening, RL-Low TBN, M1- Fe etc. No biggy. All also exceed in some way or another as well.

Although I must say Terry has sure made a lot of excuses for Redline.
lol.gif
Never seem to hear anything bad about that brand.
rolleyes.gif
cheers.gif

I think this forum may be entering a slippery slope of individuals, forum sponsors and business interest co-mingling with different objectives.

This forum is for free sharing of common interest, knowledge and concerns.

Ahh, I respectfully disagree.
smile.gif

Due to the variety of personalities involved, this forum has always consisted of snipits of solid information mixed in with all the opinions, conjecture, mis-fired theories and deliberate B$. And it is the same on every internet forum.

My advice is to respect the individuals that have lubricant industry experience to share with us and let them do so on their own terms.

And I fully understand the proprietary issues that prohibit public disclosure of alot of this info. My employer would have me on the "outside looking in" very quickly if I was popping off on the internet about manufacturing processes, details of patentable product designs, or anticipated launches of new products.

SWS, I am not trying to game anyone. What I originally posted was an honest, from the gut response to what I read about GF4 qual for a particular brand of oil. I own my company ( so far) so I have a bit more flexability in what I post than the worker bee does.

Other thing is I am beholden to no entity , may be restricted by ND and secrecy agreements but after that I am about the most unbiased voice ( that has a clue) you are going to get in a forum like this.

I am absolutely tempted to never post here again. I get tired of the fact that many of you CANNOT handle the TRUTH. Tough luck that for free or if you paid I cannot disclose everything I may know about a product. Consumer analysis borders on a liability for me, So you want less, I could do that........

However since I would miss being one of the guys here, and I genuinely wanted to help the average guy understand some of this stuff,....for those that can't handle info that may go against what you understand please ignore my posts!

BTW buster ( you pimp
grin.gif
)and I mean that in the finest sense of the word...
cool.gif

Redline has issues with TBN retention over longer drains, is too expensive, has a limited tech support department,wouldn't ever give me a race suit when I drove race cars professionally( I was sponsored by Synergyn) and has a lot of fallout in the fluid, look in a used bottle.

tongue.gif

BTW I have nothing to say bad about Specialty Formulations, Molakule is smart,honest and makes a cutting edge product.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
...and has a lot of fallout in the fluid, look in a used bottle...

Terry, would it be wise to "shake up" particular said bottle before use, or not?

Just had a flashback of Jack Nicholson in a "Few Good Men".

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world...

grin.gif

No need to shake up a bottle of RL before pouring.

Thats exactly what I was feeling like, Jack Nicholsons character in a "Few Good Men".
banghead.gif

The stress of "knowing" and not always being able to save you all from poor lube chemistries is tremendous!
shocked.gif
.NOT.

Terry:

"You can and you can't. You will and you won't. You're ****ed if you do, and you're ****ed if you don't." (Calvinism)

Steady there! Keep trying to be patient with us. Some of us don't always seem to "get it" but don't give up. For sure, this board needs you a lot more than you need it! Remember: What you provide here is a public service...and few good deed ever go unpunished.
smile.gif

S-I-Vue Appreciate that and G-O-D BLESS you being from NOLA.

We still have many in our county from your neck of the woods. And I think many are staying because Greenville and Hunt Co. is a nice place.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back