A Question to Police officers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a very safe neighborhood and some idiot drew a KKK symbol on my garage. It was easily washable but scary at the same time. I am 1/4 Asian but you can still see my Asian features. Out of all houses, they drew it on mine. There are not many minorities in my area.

Some people say to leave it be and it was probably some stupid kid on Spring Break. Some say to call the police. I am always skeptical about calling the police in "petty" situation because I have no idea what police would do. What would they do? I never saw the person and there's no camaras.

Should I call the Police or leave it be? I used to be anti-gun but I'm reconsidering about getting a concealed weapons permit.

Call and make a report. That way if this happens agaain and the person is caught there well be a paper trail that can be used against them. Also it will show patterns and might show a need to have officers patrol in that area more often. Dont worry about wasting a officers time some departments have unarmed community service officers and voulenteers that are paid to hadle non-emergancy calls just like this. Crimes like these can get worse, be safe not sorry.

Last edited:
File a police report. You might not feel that the act is worthy of police action but this could be the first of many actions by these people or could be another act by individuals that are already being looked at by the police. Filing a report will not hurt by any means.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kevco
Call and make a report. That way if this happens agaain and the person is caught there well be a paper trail that can be used against them. Also it will show patterns and might show a need to have officers patrol in that area more often. Dont worry about wasting a officers time some departments have unarmed community service officers and voulenteers that are paid to hadle non-emergancy calls just like this. Crimes like these can get worse, be safe not sorry.

Good call, and well said IMO.

+ 5 report it. I would think it's random but maybe not. Someone needs to get a life.

I am thinking about a gun as well because there are so many crazy people running around. My Sister wants to as well. She told me today a few years ago a crazy guy was trying to sick his pit bull on her. I think she was walking her dogs in North Seattle, WA.

Report it. Around here, that would be written up as a hate crime (race/sex/disability) rather than randomn graffiti vandalism.

If there is a pattern, better off getting the paper trail started early.

Alex.

Not a police officer but deal in the "biz" for the job.

File a report. Paper trail is a must when/if they catch the idiots. Everything they have on the perp will help when it comes time for the prosecutor to charge. The bigger the file the better.

Even if someone had not written anything on my property I would have a weapon and I do carry all the time. And I'm someone that people don't want to mess with but you can be the biggest and baddest but someone with a 9mm can ruin your day.

Get training and make sure you have the mindset that you CAN defend yourself with a weapon. If you don't/can't (and its better to ADMIT it before hand and OKAY that you can't) then get some other plan. Having a weapon and not using it can sometimes get you in bigger trouble. (ie they take the weapon away and use it on you)

Most likely, some punks who need their rear-ends kicked. And their Dad is not around to do it enough...

Take care and good luck! Bill

Maybe this shows why anti-gun doesn't really make sense. However, before you get a pistol and as CWP make sure you know both how to use one and when to use one. One rule getting more and more respected in every state is the castle doctrine. When you have an intruder in your home it is open season. Once you open fire you shoot to kill and you shoot enough to make sure the job is done.

Having said that, I still don't ever want to have to use one of my firearms against another human being.

I agree, report the incident to the police. In addition to all other arguments, there may be a pattern the police are working on.

I report minor crimes when they occur. They can't even attempt to cope with a problem if they're not aware of it.

I wouldn't necessarily get all riled up about ethnicity issues. I guess that's easier for me to say, but it's no different than the future critters club walking down the street strutting down the sidewalk. I engage them in an earnest manner and find them to be just your typical young person who's seeking identity.

The main thing is not be intimidated and alter the way you live.

I work for a municipality and graffiti was aggressively dealt with buy the police, housing inspections, sanitation dept. They were well equipped to record & remove tags as quickly as reported. The City police gang unit got involved and documents all tags initially before removal. There is great significance in the symbols that go up by night & removed by day. If you have been victimized by this sort of vandalism you need to report it to the police. You have been marked as "something" in some cases and future crimes may be involved. And no one wants a big dirty KKK on there building. Its possible where you live they may supply you with chemicals to do the cleanup.

Last edited:
Your best defense is a good weapon at your side, especially at your home.

However, I asked a friend who is right here next to me. He is a LAPD officer he said that file a report that even something as small as that should not be ignored. He added that you would not be wasting their time since this has to deal with your safety and KKK threats are taken very seriously, and if they ever caught someone they have it on file.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I live in a very safe neighborhood and some idiot drew a KKK symbol on my garage. It was easily washable but scary at the same time. I am 1/4 Asian but you can still see my Asian features. Out of all houses, they drew it on mine. There are not many minorities in my area.

Some people say to leave it be and it was probably some stupid kid on Spring Break. Some say to call the police. I am always skeptical about calling the police in "petty" situation because I have no idea what police would do. What would they do? I never saw the person and there's no cameras.

Should I call the Police or leave it be? I used to be anti-gun but I'm reconsidering about getting a concealed weapons permit.

This is not a minor situation, this is a hate crime. Report to police as soon as possible and take a picture, also informing the police while they there to investigate that you are thinking about buying a gun to protect yourself and your family.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

This is not a minor situation, this is a hate crime. Report to police as soon as possible and take a picture, also informing the police while they there to investigate that you are thinking about buying a gun to protect yourself and your family.

Agree. BUT I'd not tell the police what you are going to do as far as getting a weapon. If the original report states that you are going to get a weapon due to the tagging and you end up shooting them someone may use the first report against you.

Far fetched?
smirk2.gif
Yes but Lawyers look for stuff like that to use against you and make their client into a "victim".

Make you the bad guy. Sick I know but....
31.gif

You don't want anything on any report just in case you have "interaction" of the wrong type with the perp who did this..

Just my thoughts...

Bill

Thank you for the responses, guys. I will report it to the Police on Monday.

For now on, I will report everything. I'm just so mad and frightened.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Agree. BUT I'd not tell the police what you are going to do as far as getting a weapon. If the original report states that you are going to get a weapon due to the tagging and you end up shooting them someone may use the first report against you.

Far fetched?
smirk2.gif
Yes but Lawyers look for stuff like that to use against you and make their client into a "victim".

Make you the bad guy. Sick I know but....
31.gif

You don't want anything on any report just in case you have "interaction" of the wrong type with the perp who did this..

Just my thoughts...

Bill

That's very good advice Bill, going to court is a [censored] shoot and you want everything that can be tilted in your favor to be tilted in your favor. Never assume that mere innocence is an adequate defense, you also need to appear innocent to a judge or jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back