Pennzoil YB 5w20- 4708mi- 2003 PT Cruiser/no-turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil sample was taken from my friend's 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Time on this oil was exactly 3 months. The car runs like new and is well taken care of. It is driven on a 50 mile hwy/freeway round trip seven days a week. The manual suggests 6000 miles under these conditions, which seems to be an accurate recommendation judging by the TBN. I just couldn't convince him to go further. 5w30 is the recommended viscosity. From what I can tell, wear is amazingly low. All comments are welcome!

26207_612983679181_55001542_34695564_762803_n.jpg

There really is no wear issues with modern PCMO's and modern engines. Looks good.

Wow. Nice.

Question: Why the use of 5W-20, when 5W-30 is recommended? Most people 'not familair' with oil don't go thinner........

5w20 was suggested to him, by me, for fuel efficiency reasons mainly. It didn't seem to affect wear, so why not? The advantage of less startup wear is enough of a reason alone to warrant 5w20, in my opinion. If there was racing involved or higher than normal oil temperatures, I could see using 30wt or even 40wt, but that is just not the case in this situation.

edit: I believe PT Cruisers and various other Chryslers were issued a back spec for 5w20.. though I could be wrong?

Last edited:
I thought newer PTs use 5W-20? It seems like it's okay in the older ones at least... My dad's '08 isn't around right now otherwise I'd look at the manual.

Originally Posted By: NP_350
5w20 was suggested to him, by me, for fuel efficiency reasons mainly. It didn't seem to affect wear, so why not? The advantage of less startup wear is enough of a reason alone to warrant 5w20, in my opinion. If there was racing involved or higher than normal oil temperatures, I could see using 30wt or even 40wt, but that is just not the case in this situation.

edit: I believe PT Cruisers and various other Chryslers were issued a back spec for 5w20.. though I could be wrong?

Oh, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, far from it. It was a very good move. I'm just suprised a 'non-oil' person would be this forward-thinking.

Originally Posted By: JT1
Beautiful UOA.

Ugly car.

I concur, and no offense, they're not much fun to drive either.
lol.gif

Maybe the Turbo ones are more fun? My dad's handles like a school bus, has a surprisingly harsh ride, sounds really buzzy and has no oomph at all. The transmission also shifts funny, even though it has less than 40,000 miles on it.

I also hear of lots of problems with the PT. One of my other friends has one and she calls it the P(art )T(ime)cruiser because it only works part of the time.

I can't say if the turbos are more fun, but I would imagine it couldn't hurt.. the PT is very overweight for the engine output. The manual transmission makes a lot of difference. Also,the non-platinum spark plugs in this car require changing quite often. My friends car basically eats them in about 15000 miles. I know, bc I end up changing them when he calls and says the car is misfiring again. Luckily I've become quite adept at sort of rolling the intake manifold out of the way instead of removing it to get to them. There is also a couple of intake restrictions that could be remedied and gain maybe 5 hp. lol Handles like a school bus? He fixed that with high performance tires and keeps them at 40psi. His is also the touring package with ( I presume) upgraded suspension.

Appreciate the comments!

Originally Posted By: NP_350
I also hear of lots of problems with the PT. One of my other friends has one and she calls it the P(art )T(ime)cruiser because it only works part of the time.

I can't say if the turbos are more fun, but I would imagine it couldn't hurt.. the PT is very overweight for the engine output. The manual transmission makes a lot of difference. Also,the non-platinum spark plugs in this car require changing quite often. My friends car basically eats them in about 15000 miles. I know, bc I end up changing them when he calls and says the car is misfiring again. Luckily I've become quite adept at sort of rolling the intake manifold out of the way instead of removing it to get to them. There is also a couple of intake restrictions that could be remedied and gain maybe 5 hp. lol Handles like a school bus? He fixed that with high performance tires and keeps them at 40psi. His is also the touring package with ( I presume) upgraded suspension.

Appreciate the comments!

I believe his is the base model. It has pretty nice tires but the steering isn't the greatest on it. The turning radius is the main issue I've found.

Good to know about the spark plugs, I'll have to keep that in mind. As far as I know, his are original and it hasn't misfired or anything like that.

Oh, and by the way, the report looks excellent.
thumbsup2.gif
I just put Pennzoil 5W-20 in my sister's car the other day and I feel even more confident about it now.

Updated PYB formulas with more boron and no moly - seems to be very effective.

Confirms my continued use of PYB - great oil for the money!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back