Toyota 0W-20 Black Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and called the dealership that is selling the Toyota 0W-20 on E-bay, they only have one case of the red bottles left which are made by Nippon in Japan.

They are now selling the black bottles of Toyota 0W-20 which is now made by Mobil. I am wondering if anyone who has the black bottles of the 0W-20 are going to do a VOA, my gut feeling is that this oil in the black bottle is not the same, it may be closer to the specs of the Honda 0W-20.

If I am going to be buying an oil I would like to at least see a VOA on it.

So if anyone has a VOA on this black bottle or are thinking of doing it please let us know.

The other alternative is the Castrol Edge 0W-20 but that will not be out until the summer at the earliest, and with 0W-20 oil's not selling well who knows when it will hit the shelves.

Any info would be appreciated.

Most Honda oils are mobil, but their 0w-20 is idemitsu, so I doubt "it may be closer to the specs of the Honda 0W-20".

Would be interesting to see. PP makes 0w-20 as well.

I just picked up a bottle, believe it is black with green lettering. Says 0w20 Synthetic toyota oil.

Charged me $6.99 a qt. Also picked up another drain plug for 4

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
I just picked up a bottle, believe it is black with green lettering. Says 0w20 Synthetic toyota oil.

Charged me $6.99 a qt. Also picked up another drain plug for 4

Did you pick it up at the dealer, that's not a bad price, I could get it off E-bay with the shipping added and it would come out to $6.25 a quart.

Nippon oil was making the Red Bottle 0w20 Toyota oil sold in the US. Seems the Black bottle US 0W20 Toyota oil is now being made by Mobil. I have a feeling it will be closer in spec to Mobil 1 0W20 than the Nippon 0W20 made by Toyota. My feeling is Mobil offered Toyota a better price. Not knocking the oil but I would love to see a side by side VOA of the Red Bottle 0w20 Nippon oil, and the Black bottle 0W20 Mobil oil packaged for Toyota. I'd love to see if they are closely formulated.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
"I have a feeling it will be closer in spec to Mobil 1 0W20"

You're not alone.

I basically have the same feeling, that Red Bottle of Toyota 0W-20 sure looked good, meaning the VOA on it.

You're not alone.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

For me I'll be waiting for either PU 0W20, Edge 0W20, or a VOA of this Black bottle 0W20 Toyota oil before I buy any more 0W20 oil.

I know the VOA on Mobil 1 0W-20 is about 7 years old, but that was the only one I found in the VOA Section here.

Wonder what Toyota Canada is carrying now? We had a black bottle, but the current thinking is it's the same as what's in the red bottle USA.

I wonder if they have a new style bottle available up here? I should head over and buy every last drop of the old style (black bottle Canada/red bottle USA) if they have any. I have six litres of it in the garage now.

I've done my fair share of VOA (twice) and UOA on this Toyota 0w20. Time for someone else to step up to the plate and test the new formula.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c3po

You're not alone.

I basically have the same feeling, that Red Bottle of Toyota 0W-20 sure looked good, meaning the VOA on it.

A VOA of the Mobil supplied Toyota oil will but the question to rest, but since we're speculating I don't think it's anything like M1's own 0W-20, since it's too heavy and doesn't contain enough moly.
Mobil has been supplying Toyota with their other grades of oil for a long time but the current M1 0W-20 doesn't meet Toyota's spec's for their 0W-20 consiquently they decided to stay with Nippon Oil who makes the oil for them in Japan and could also make it for them in their plant in Alabama.
Since Mobil is only just now supplying the 0W-20 oil to Toyota it would make sence that it now meets Toyota's spec's and is not just their repackaged current 0W-20 oil.

As rcy discovered the same thing happpened here in Canada with Honda's 0W-20 which has a similar formulation to Toyota.
Petro-Canada is the supplier for most of the other Honda branded grades of oil but not the 0W-20. Petro-Canada does have their own 0W-20 grade but it doesn't meet Honda's requirements for a low vis', hi VI, hi moly 0W-20 oil. Consiquently it's sourced from Idemitsu in Indiana.

My hunch is that since Mobil has had to go to the trouble of formulating an oil to meet Toyota's spec's it will exceed them, i.e., be even better than the Nippon Oil made product just as Castrol Edge has done with their yet to be released 0W-20 and it's 40C vis of 38.62cSt and 220 VI.

rcy, and my Canadian friend's, I don't think Mobil is going to replace Nippon Oil as the supplier any time soon as Toyota Canada's 0W-20 supplier. Toyota Canada is a separate entity with separate management to Toyota USA.

I went last night to get one more qt as I like to have an extra. The price last night was $6.75 a qt. Cheaper then the day before, how I don't know but I didn't question it

Good info Catherham. Here is a thought I had. Maybe Toyota took the Mobil 0W20 oil as is and said it would be fine. Mobil's current 0W20 is nowhere as good as the Nippon Oil formula sold in the USA. A lot of these things are all about $$. JMO If business was a little better I'd buy a qt and bounce for a VOA. LOL

Last edited:
Rob, this topic can be confusing (thanks a lot, Toyota). The two links above are VOAs of the original US red bottle, which I can't keep straight, is either from Idemitsu or Eneos. No VOAs have been posted yet on the US black bottle, possibly from Mobil. To make it even more confusing, the red bottle is black in Canada but still has the same shape.

I'll try to post VOAs of the red vs. black bottle to this BITOG section by the end of April.

The two Toyota part numbers are listed in this thread from PurplePride:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1823477&page=all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back