ATF for 2007 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buster,
I think the Mazda 6 has the same tranny as my 07 Fusion, which as I said takes the MC FNR-5 oil which I believe is the same as Mazda M_V oil. You will need to check, but your Mazda 3 may have the same tranny as my 07 Focus. If it does then you will be fine using the M1 ATF as it is Mercon V rated. I checked with Mobil tech recently and Fords FNR-5 ATF is not M1 rated.

Buster, I didn't have the patience to read all the post in this thread - so maybe this is covered and/or you probably already knew this - but the Mazda M-V is a apparently a different spec from all the other MV, M5, Multi-veh, etc specs.

I bought my '06 Mazda 6 one year ago with 47k on it. ATF was going brown. A couple of months ago (w/ around 60k on it) I did two drain/fills (separated by 20 minutes of driving) - I used Wally World Dexron III (kind've of flush so I went with cheap stuff). Then drove it and did a last drain fill with M1 ATF. Everything is good - though can't say it's any better than before. If I have the nerve to take my oil (Schaeffers 7000) out to one year, then I'll do an M1 ATF drain/fill each year with the oil change (it's a mess getting under that car with the undercarriage shield, etc).

BTW - concerning using the Wally Dexron in my Mazda 6 - I called a reputable trans shop here - asked them about their trans flush (complete drain/fill) - they said they would use Dexron III - thus I figured I could get away with using DIII for my own little "flush" - especially since I would then be rotating it over to M1 ATF over the next several years.

(that trans shop also offers Amsoil ATF - for an extra penny or two)

Yep. I just did a drain and fill with OEM fluid. I'm glad I didn't put that universal Mercon [censored] in there.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Buster,
I think the Mazda 6 has the same tranny as my 07 Fusion, which as I said takes the MC FNR-5 oil which I believe is the same as Mazda M_V oil. You will need to check, but your Mazda 3 may have the same tranny as my 07 Focus. If it does then you will be fine using the M1 ATF as it is Mercon V rated. I checked with Mobil tech recently and Fords FNR-5 ATF is not M1 rated.

The mazda3s (2.3L) shares your fusion tranny (FNR5) and requires the same fluid. The mazda3i (2.0L) has a 4spd ATX but I don't think it is the same as the focus.

You are right that the Mazda6, Mazda3 and Fusion have models that share the FNR5 ATX which has the quirky ATF requirements.

Thanks for all the replies.

It definitely takes the Mazda M-V spec. fluid, which M1 ATF claims to meet but we know how that goes....

I'm probably better off sticking with the OEM fluid based on the variable friction modification each fluid has.

My wife has an '06 and we went with mobil super multi vehicle ATF. This coveres the M-V spec

I'm not sure if its available to you guys, but if it represents mobils ATF as a whole, its been really good. Smooth shifts, hot or cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Thanks for all the replies.

It definitely takes the Mazda M-V spec. fluid, which M1 ATF claims to meet but we know how that goes....

I'm probably better off sticking with the OEM fluid based on the variable friction modification each fluid has.
if you go with oem don't forget to change it more often! mike

Originally Posted By: buster

You wonder how much goes into them being able to claim a spec. Schaeffers also meets M-V - but the local rep stated the Schaeffers is significantly lower in visc than others, and that was giving people the willies - but that it was "not an issue". But that all seems kind've spooky to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back