G37S - Oil...what a PITA Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't the overheating be remedied with an external oil cooler? It sure seems like a better solution than just using an ester oil.

Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
They refuse to use the oil Nissan recommends and then have major problems
.....go figure

Interesting. Where did you find this gem of information? I'd like to study it myself and see what else it says.

Never mind JonfromCB. I just found all your posts on a G37 forum.
Here's one of them...."Duke, do you own a VQ37? If you do look at section 9, Technical and
consumer information in your owners manual. It says "Nissan recommends
genuine Nissan Ester Engine Oil available at your Nissan dealer"
I would say that's the most persuasive advertising I've seen without
having to spend a fortune. Why spend money advertising when
you already recommend it in writing for a specific application in
the owners manual?"

You do say that any oil will work but have a strong conviction that Nissan Oil is best. That's cool. I wish there were dozens more UOA's on these engines. There aren't many and I have yet to find one about Nissan Ester. I'll keep looking. Too bad the G37S doesn't have an oil temp gauge but it does use the same filter as the Civic Si daily driver.

I guess that's it for me on this topic. I'm going to use something from ChinaMart... either PP which I use in the Lexus and Civic Si or M1 which seems popular with many on the various Nissan/Infiniti forums. They don't seem to be complaining about problems or overheating with those oils....

Thanks for everyones input.

Cicero, Looks like I struck a nerve with my last
post...sorry. Interesting that in your attempt to discredit me
in your above post, you failed to disclose the question
from Duke that I was answering..."where in the owners manual
is Nissan's oil recommended"? You seem to not want
to be confused by any details or facts, so I would
recommend that you use mobil 1 in your VQ37.

I'm certainly not "in bed" with Nissan nor doing
advertising for them. You asked me where I got my information
about "guys having major problems"...good question.
Just go to four or five of the forums with VQ37 owner posts
and use the search-engine to locate "limp mode", "overheating",
"engine replacement", and "engine failure"....then "PM" the
actual owners and ask them about their oil use, driving habits,
service interval, etc. If you "PM" them it won't start a oil
turf war and I found that about 70% replied with straight
answers......it did take alot of time over 3 or 4 months
though. Then GO TO two Nissan and two Infiniti dealers and
ask the Servce Manager how many VQ37 engines they have
replaced or had had to rebuild the valve train on, and for
their opinion on the cause of the problem.
For $100 you can subscribe to Dyson's data base
and look at UOA information on these engines
until your eyes bleed and decide for yourself
what works best in the VQ37.

There is alot of info' to be had if you are truely
serious about getting it. It certainly is no secret
in "the car world" that this engine is having more
than it's fair share of oil related failures.
When you find out what works better than what
the manufacturer recommends, let us all know
would you? Good Luck

Last edited:
If it's a lease and you'll be dropping it off before the warranty expires, and don't care much about the 'issues' this engine is getting a reputation for, then use whatever oil makes you happy. If it were mine I would use Nissan's oil, or Redline.

IMO Nissan is blaming the user rather than their engineers/accountants for building an inferior engine that can take a typical type of oil. They should work on the metallurgy better and keep the wear at bay rather than relying on hard to find exotic oil that they are going to gouge people on.

Just use a thicker oil like 10w40, that'll solve the "ester is recommended" problem.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
IMO Nissan is blaming the user rather than their engineers/accountants for building an inferior engine that can take a typical type of oil. They should work on the metallurgy better and keep the wear at bay rather than relying on hard to find exotic oil that they are going to gouge people on.

Just use a thicker oil like 10w40, that'll solve the "ester is recommended" problem.

And please explain why Nissan should be obligated to build an engine that can run on 5w-30 GF-4/GF-5 conventional oil?

The VQ engines are a performance platform. It is a niche market. If this was a mainstream engine like their QR25 I can agree with you, but performance engines have very specific requirements and I'm sure you realize that it is nothing new to the industry.

The Ester oil reduces friction inside the engine. It also alleviates some start-up noise, possibly due to better oil film. 10w-40 is not going to fix the problem.

[/quote]The VQ engines are a performance platform. It is a niche market.[/quote]

^^Absolutely! If you`re going to drive a highly tuned precision high performance car,it`s going to require difference maintanence then something like say,a Ford minivan. I read all the time where people on Z32 boards complain and bellyache about having to shell out a few extra cents for premium unleaded gas or high quality motor oil (because that`s what these cars require). They should`ve thought about that before they invested in a $40,000+ sports car.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

And please explain why Nissan should be obligated to build an engine that can run on 5w-30 GF-4/GF-5 conventional oil?

The VQ engines are a performance platform. It is a niche market. If this was a mainstream engine like their QR25 I can agree with you, but performance engines have very specific requirements and I'm sure you realize that it is nothing new to the industry.

The Ester oil reduces friction inside the engine. It also alleviates some start-up noise, possibly due to better oil film. 10w-40 is not going to fix the problem.

Then why Honda recommends 10W30 GF-3 conventional oil in S2000 ? Until model year 2003, S2000 makes 120hp/liter and red-line at 9000 RPM.

What is the big deal? They offer the oil at the Nissan dealership. So, if they didn't offer it I could see people getting upset. But that is not the case. The engine takes a specific oil. So does a Ferrari or Maserati or Porsche or BMW or any other exotic high performance car. Many people are just lucky Walmart carries M-1 0w40.

Bottom line: If you can't afford the oil...you can't afford the car.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Bottom line: If you can't afford the oil...you can't afford the car.

^^The best answer yet!

Nissan is not the only one to blast, BMW's M series engine with 10w60 is also the same, and Farrarri's unique oil.

IMO they got lazy and try to squeeze out a couple extra horse and reduce fuel consumption by using thin oil when they should be using something thicker.

What's a fraction of a percent drop in fuel economy or horse power when using a thicker and proper oil that's available? like 20w50 or 10w40?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
[/quote]The VQ engines are a performance platform. It is a niche market.

^^Absolutely! If you`re going to drive a highly tuned precision high performance car,it`s going to require difference maintanence then something like say,a Ford minivan. I read all the time where people on Z32 boards complain and bellyache about having to shell out a few extra cents for premium unleaded gas or high quality motor oil (because that`s what these cars require). They should`ve thought about that before they invested in a $40,000+ sports car.

I have a new G37 Sedan and have been researching this for a while as my first oil change approaches. The problem is, they don't actually require their own expensive oil. If they did, fine I'd use it and it wouldn't be an issue.

However, my owner's manual only requires the use of any API certified 5w-30 oil. Then, on another page, in an asterisk somewhere they "recommend" the use of genuine Nissan Ester Oil.

So no, of course Nissan isn't obligated to build a performance engine that takes conventional 5w-30 oil. However, if the owner's manual says it's OK to use regular oil, and then as one person said above, "major engine problems" are occurring as a result, this does not seem like the owner is at fault.

Last edited:
Smshadowman, There is a big difference between what is
required by Nissan for warranty purposes and what is
recommended. "a" problem with this engine is many (not all)
race or track, or drive these high performance engines
at their limits. Even short bursts of open throttle with
this engine generates alot of heat very quickly in the
valve train. Combine that with an oil that meets minimum
requirement and/or that oil has been run to long and repeadtedly
subjected to excessive heat and suddenly there are problems...and
there are lots of examples of this very problem with this engine.

I bought a $45K car and it's a no brainer for
me to use what Infiniti/Nissan recommends in it after reading
why they developed it and recommend it. I also drive hard
enough that according to the driving style described
in the service manual (not the owners
manual) I easily meet the requirements for 3700 miles
or three months service interval. I would argue that
most drivers meet those requirements with this engine
but instead choose the longer interval.

I also realize that many younger drivers lease these cars because
it's cheaper and then they use cheaper oil, drive them like they
stole them, leave the oil in for 7K and are having oil related
issues. ....no more, no less Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
Cicero, Looks like I struck a nerve with my last
post...sorry. Interesting that in your attempt to discredit me
in your above post, you failed to disclose the question
from Duke that I was answering..."where in the owners manual
is Nissan's oil recommended"? You seem to not want
to be confused by any details or facts, so I would
recommend that you use mobil 1 in your VQ37.

I'm certainly not "in bed" with Nissan nor doing
advertising for them. You asked me where I got my information
about "guys having major problems"...good question.
Just go to four or five of the forums with VQ37 owner posts
and use the search-engine to locate "limp mode", "overheating",
"engine replacement", and "engine failure"....then "PM" the
actual owners and ask them about their oil use, driving habits,
service interval, etc. If you "PM" them it won't start a oil
turf war and I found that about 70% replied with straight
answers......it did take alot of time over 3 or 4 months
though. Then GO TO two Nissan and two Infiniti dealers and
ask the Servce Manager how many VQ37 engines they have
replaced or had had to rebuild the valve train on, and for
their opinion on the cause of the problem.
For $100 you can subscribe to Dyson's data base
and look at UOA information on these engines
until your eyes bleed and decide for yourself
what works best in the VQ37.

There is alot of info' to be had if you are truely
serious about getting it. It certainly is no secret
in "the car world" that this engine is having more
than it's fair share of oil related failures.
When you find out what works better than what
the manufacturer recommends, let us all know
would you? Good Luck

Were those engin problems on reg driving or on the track? Seems more of the problems I have been reading about are these guys buying a nice G37 and then puching it on the track.

There might be some UOAs on the 370Z forum. Put RL 5W-30 and sleep well.

My oil would sometimes get to around 250 just on my 7 mile drive home from work.

Nissan is not the only one to blast, BMW's M series engine with 10w60 is also the same, and Farrarri's unique oil.

IMO they got lazy and try to squeeze out a couple extra horse and reduce fuel consumption by using thin oil when they should be using something thicker.

What's a fraction of a percent drop in fuel economy or horse power when using a thicker and proper oil that's available? like 20w50 or 10w40?

.. 10W-60? Sounds like 5W-50 o_O

I had a 1986 BMW 325es and i used heavy oil in it. It was 2.7L not 2.5 as name implies it was the "ETA." Inline 6, very torquey. 10W-40 and 20W-50..BM likes the Heavy Oil.

The way I understand (layman, of course) Esters is that they 'stick' to engine parts more than PAO's or conventionals, perhaps, if its simply a noise problem, that they are recommending Esters because it will provide a small film of oil 'stuck' on the parts, therefore eliminating noise that may take place during startup while the system is getting pressurized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back