Factory Fill, 10002 miles, '09 Fit Sport 1.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

This is my mother's car and she does not drive hard; very little serious acceleration and she doesn't speed. Most of her driving is to and from work which is ~20 miles of mainly highway cruising each way. I've driven the car on occasion and worked it a little harder, but that accounts for a small fraction of total use.

Miles on car: 10,002
Miles/Time on Oil: 10,002/11 months
OLM: 20% left
Oil filter: OEM
Air Filter: OEM
NOTE: I absentmindedly forgot to sample during the drain. I had no option but to dunk the sample container into the drain-pan, which, while didn't have any other oil in it, wasn't 100% spotless either. The UOA doesn't seem noticeably affected, fortunately.

fituoa1.png

Definitely the FF with all that moly. Looks really good. Haven't seen too many L series UOA's, but if 28ppm million iron is a lot over 10,000 miles the ones Blackstone has seen must look really good. 10,000 miles seems like no problem for this car, and that has to be the easiest possible OCI to remember.

Low wear IMO for 10k miles, considering this is the FF.

Nice shot of moly and boron, good think you kept it in there - dont see any adverse effect. Even the CU isnt an issue, IMO, at those rates.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Not bad. What does Honda recommend for the OCI?
The manual recommends you follow the maintenance minder, which alerts you to change the oil soon when the OLM reaches 15%.

Okay, so with 20% left you're somewhere on the short end of the (otherwise- w/o MM) 10k interval.

I don't think I'm following what you're saying. On the short end of the 10k interval?

The oil was changed at 10k miles when the OLM read 20%. Figured 10k miles was far enough on the FF, no need to wait until it drops to 15%. So, technically, could have run it ~11k or something before the MM spoke up.

What oil & filter was used after the drain? You did change the oil filter right? How does the air filter look?

How does Blackstone know it is a 5W20; they didn't even run a 40C vis test did they?

The oil filter was most certainly changed. The car is now running Mobil 1 0w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter. The air filter looked very clean and good to go for the next interval.

I don't know how Blackstone determined the 5w. I kind of wonder that myself.

Here's another one. 2009 Honda Fit, 9800 miles on factory oil fill. Oil life indicator was down to 10%. Numbers look about the same, except there's quite a bit more aluminum in mine. Oxidation and nitration indicate that this oil is pretty well worn out. I would suggest changing the factory fill at somewhere around 20-30%.

Lab: AVlube.
Date Taken: 11/14/2009 Date Recieved: 11/24/2009
Hrs/Mls [ Oil: 9800 | Unit: 9800 ] Make Up Oil: 0 qts

Iron 20
Chromium 1
Lead 1
Copper 25*
Tin 12
Aliminum 21*
Nickel 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 1
Silicon 43*
Boron 169
Sodium 13
Potassium 5
Magnesium 15
Calcium 1775
Phosphorus 690
Zinc 835
Moly 896
Barium 6
Visc 100c 7.51
% Water Fuel AAA
Glyc NNN
Soot 0
Oxidation 21***
Nitration 11.5*

* indicates flagged as 'above normal', and *** is 'severe'.

A lot of moly in the break in oil which is good. Honda engines are really great and will give you many years of reliable use. Mobil 1 oil nd filters are perfect for your engine. Good luck.

Do you like the Fit? My son has two friends that have them and they really like them. A little to small for me though.

zanzabar,
Very interesting. As you said, the UOAs are indeed very similar, which I think is a good thing. Thanks for sharing that.

Boss302fan,
My mother likes the Fit very much. In my use, I like it a lot as well. It's fun to tool around in and the sport model handles extremely well, which I especially like. It's a smaller car, but remarkably spacious inside. The paddle shifters actually came in handy at times when I drove it (forcing a downshift when you want to kick up the revs, for example) and the USB connection in the upper glove compartment for an iPod is a nice touch (controlled via the stereo, too). It consistently gets 37-39 MPG for my mom. Very nice car. Now if it had another ~35 HP, then it'd absolutely kick [censored]. heh

Originally Posted By: gib
I don't think I'm following what you're saying. On the short end of the 10k interval?

The oil was changed at 10k miles when the OLM read 20%. Figured 10k miles was far enough on the FF, no need to wait until it drops to 15%. So, technically, could have run it ~11k or something before the MM spoke up.

I'm trying to retrace my steps here too. I'm sure I had a valid point (remember the I:Contra hearings) .."but right now, I don't recall" what it was.

Annual OCI's would work well in this service ..with any OTC oil.

I am just Honda puts a nice shot of molly and boron in their factory fill. Considering this is factory fill and has 10K miles onit it is a very good UOA. In fact many GM engines cannot look this good with 5000-7000 mile oil change intervals and 40K miles worth of miles to break in. This is why I do not make excuse's for vechiles that toss alot of wear metals dureing break in. We can clearly see in Honda and Toyota vechiles that an engine does very little "breaking in" if desinged and manufactured properly with good surface treatments and materials!

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What oil & filter was used after the drain? You did change the oil filter right? How does the air filter look?

How does Blackstone know it is a 5W20; they didn't even run a 40C vis test did they?

Agreed, they are just guessing as to whether it is a 5W or 0W oil.
I don't know if the FF oil (either Nippon oil or Idemitsu) even make a 5W-20 but I don't think so. Consiquently I believe it's a 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
This is why I do not make excuse's for vechiles that toss alot of wear metals dureing break in. We can clearly see in Honda and Toyota vechiles that an engine does very little "breaking in" if desinged and manufactured properly with good surface treatments and materials!

...sigh....

If the engine easily lasts 200,000 miles without trouble, I don't care if it sheds enough wear metals in the first 1k miles to recycle into 3 Honda engines.

ASSuming that low break-in numbers somehow implies that an engine has "better materials" is no more valid that if I were to look at those wear numbers and say that this engine was built already worn out. Its just not that simple.

Remember also that UOAs only reveal particles of a certain size range- big particles are invisible to this type of UOA (other than perhaps showing up as insolubles, but they'll generally be trapped by the filter). This engine could have shed a substantial amount of larger particles.

Last edited:
That is just fine. 28PPM is not high at all for 10K miles and break in wear. Most GM V8 would love to have a 5000 mile OCI look that good so perspective is everything.IF you like to use an oil built a lot like the factory break in oil then Redline is the way too go. Redline is the only company I am aware of that puts that much moly in their oil. Rings love oly especialy dureing break in which is why it is their in the factory fill I am sure!Redlines 5W20 is a killer oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back