2008 FLHTCU, Amsoil MCV 20W50 3205 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
373829351.jpg

Still using FP Plus and Bio Plus fuel additive 50/50. OEM oil and air filters.

Had the induction module replaced with this oil in service. I believe that is where the titanium came from. We will see at next UOA.

I could not be happier with the way this engine is wearing. I just wish the rest of the bike was holding up as well.

Any comments or suggestions?

Awesome analysis. Oil held up great, engine wear is nice. Help me with associating the Ti with the induction module (?)

Pretty much typical on this forum. Yet another no shear Amsoil analysis and others ignore it. Naturally people say I'm biased (of course I am, big whoop) - but if this analysis had any sign of shear or high Fe or whatever -- the boys (they know who they are) would have been on your UOA like stink on [censored].

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Awesome analysis. Oil held up great, engine wear is nice. Help me with associating the Ti with the induction module (?)

Pretty much typical on this forum. Yet another no shear Amsoil analysis and others ignore it. Naturally people say I'm biased (of course I am, big whoop) - but if this analysis had any sign of shear or high Fe or whatever -- the boys (they know who they are) would have been on your UOA like stink on [censored].

I was wondering why my UOA's didn't get any attention. Oil has thickened a little in previous UOA's. Nothing to cuss this oil over. I am very happy with this oil and motor combination.

Induction module and main wiring harness was recently replaced. The tech at Polaris stated paint has titanium in it. The induction module which is basically the throttle body and associated electronics is painted.

I'm sure Amsoil makes a good engine lube but not so good that I am going go to the trouble to order it and pay shipping and all that [censored]. There are so many great oils (Group IV's and V's even if that's your thing) at your local auto parts store or frickin Walmart. Plus, I find Amsoil's marketing annoying. Right up there with "Think with your dipstick" in my book.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Pablo said:

I'm sure Amsoil makes a good engine lube but not so good that I am going go to the trouble to order it and pay shipping and all that [censored]. There are so many great oils (Group IV's and V's even if that's your thing) at your local auto parts store or frickin Walmart. Plus, I find Amsoil's marketing annoying. Right up there with "Think with your dipstick" in my book.

Ya what a pain in the [censored], get on the computer, place your order and wait 2 days for your oil. Never have to leave the house WOW absolutely outrageous. If you don't want to pay shipping go pick it up at one there many warehouses.I can't believe Amsoil is still in business operating like this.

What marketing are you talking about? Because they sell a product online or they have salesman trying to sell you a good product.

Last edited:

27.gif

Find a local dealer. There are 3 near me. One of the local motorcycle dealers also carries Amsoil. I buy from a local dealer for the price listed on the site, but with no shipping cost.

Their marketing in their sales people. They are annoying.

Is an Amsoil dealer calling you at home and bothering you? I'm sure there are some pushy dealers out there but I haven't ran into one. My local indy suggested I use synthetic in my bike. He sales Amsoil. I did a little homework and chose Amsoil. I could not be happier with the products I chose.

I see that this is getting away from the UOA part because it is an Amsoil UOA.

Any comments on the UOA?

I forgot to ask - were ALL the previous oils MCV? Seems like B and Mg (additives) jump around.

Originally Posted By: hd2002
I see that this is getting away from the UOA part because it is an Amsoil UOA.

Any comments on the UOA?

Especially since it's a good Amsoil UOA. Actually the mods should be notified to clean up some of the off topic junk. It's kinda weird Amsoil gets hit for being the off topic spammer, sales jerks and other weirdness....and...well....see above. Group V oil choice at Walmart? Amway? I'm trying to stay professional!

This UOA has all the elements needed to turn into a [censored] contest for no good reason.

1. It's a HD.
2. It's Amsoil.

It's too bad. It's a good report and the new Amsoil formulations look like they work really well.

Last edited:
Quote:
I could not be happier with the way this engine is wearing. I just wish the rest of the bike was holding up as well.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that is not holding up well ? The UOA looks very nice....

Where do I start. Mostly electrical, started with twist grip sensor wiring (3 times), then induction module wiring, starter staying engaged, front wheel bearings and now the radio. On trip almost to Maine TGS came up again but dealer replaced main wiring harness and induction module. I think wiring harness has been the issue all along but who knows. 2 days in a motel not much fun. All together bike has been in shop 11 times, some of the occassions were repeats due to incompetent mechanics not fixing properly. But still a huge inconvience for me. I have called HD customer care on several occasions.

Asked local service manager what to do and he is working with HD district manager to see if they will buy bike back. I am not getting my hopes up by any means.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...Do you think it's just an isolated issue or is this common thing of the brand ? My wife and I have been looking at them..
Do you have an idea of what you would like replace it with if they buy it back ?

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Sorry to hear about your troubles...Do you think it's just an isolated issue or is this common thing of the brand ? My wife and I have been looking at them..
Do you have an idea of what you would like replace it with if they buy it back ?

I think it is an isolated issue. All the Harley's I have had I have never had electrical problems like this.I think you and your wife will be happy with an Ultra. I will probably be replacing with another Ultra whether they buy it back or not.

3200 miles? I run Valvoline 4 stroke in my buell for 2000-2500 miles. Seems like over kill if you are going to change it that often. Any synthetic is going to be comparable at that change interval. I dare say my conventional oil will hold up well to that UOA, but i've never had it tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back