Mobil 1 15 50w Blackstone Report Bearings Pounded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello first time doing this test on my 5.2 Jeep and here some info on it.

I installed rebuilt heads with hardened seats due to a crack in the head. I had oil and water mixed so after the rebuilt had was done I ran some normal oil for a few hundred miles and switch to Mobil 1 15w 50w I have only 240k on the original engine and transmission so im looking to push her to double that at least.

Just before the head failure I had just started to use Redline oil. Walmart had some M1 for 22 bux so couldn't pass on it. So for this test I drove in 100+ heat while towing up the CA grapvine. I pull about 3000lbs for 600 miles all summer long so is my report normal? Maybe the head braking in left wear metal? It was machined after all? What do you guys think? Ill be sending the new oil out soon for the 2k mile retest. Thanks for the time and for reply!

IMG_5097.jpg

Last edited:
One test is not good enough to make any evaluation. Especially with engine issues and repairs.

Test again after another short run.

Why are you running 15w-50?

It was silver. I guess the GOLD is the EP but they dont seem to sell 15w 50w anymore in EP.

I run 15w 50 because in the high heat with the 10w 30 I would get only around 30 psi @ 2000 RPM 65MPH with the 50w I get 38psi up the hills and hard loads and close to 50 at cruise.

This is with hours of 100+ heat. What would oil PSI be normal on all cars at highway speeds?

Break-in on the new parts, plus contamination from the previous damage is showing up here. I'd do 2-3 short runs with dino before going to a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: porschepilot
I have only 240k on the original engine and transmission so im looking to push her to double that at least.

Is this a typo or are you saying you expect to get 480k out of the engine and tranny? 240k is a lot of miles in my book.

PorschePilot - As someone else has said, i think you'll see alot more benefit to doing maybe 2-3 flushes of a good 10w40 dino oil for maybe 1000-2000 miles each run. You've got all sorts of contaminants in that oil that you need to get out, and the best way is some good oil changes with new filters.

Then try on the 15w50 again. Great oil choice for a hot environment with heavy towing on a gasoline engine.

I did one with dino and now on the second M1 fill so can't do that now I guess. Why would you anyhow? I run the car hard in the heat so dino would not hold the PSI as well from my experience

Well, the oil pan gasket was done befor so don't think it would be that since it has been 4 fills since that was done? Hmmmmm maybe the K&N air filter has to much oil spray? I guess will see what the new report will say once I get 2k on her. Im at 1k now and will be towing 500 miles this weekend so two more weeks should do it.

Well the problem is the sending unit. Mine was replaced so I get perfect readings. Senders go bad after time since they are under load for thousands of hours mine went at 200k.

Originally Posted By: slinky
Originally Posted By: porschepilot
I have only 240k on the original engine and transmission so im looking to push her to double that at least.

Is this a typo or are you saying you expect to get 480k out of the engine and tranny? 240k is a lot of miles in my book.

Haha yes! Im thinking very positive I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back