best protection for frequent towing, 5.3 Chevrolet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I found this forum...so much to ask, where to begin?!

Have an 02 Silverado with the 5.3, tow frequently (almost everywhere it goes, daily), a trailer of about 3500 lbs. Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 (weight as recommended by the factory).

Several questions, as follows:

1) Are there any actual differences between Mobil 1 regular, and Mobil 1 "truck and suv formula" (per Mobil's website, they both have 800 / 900 ppm of phosphorous and zinc respectively), but I'm not sure if there are other differences...that was the only spec I could find on their site.

2) Noticed that the Mobil 1 "high mileage formula" has 900 / 1000 ppm of phosphorous and zinc respectively - would it be better for preventing wear? And does it still have the exact same formulation of the other additives as the "regular formula", i.e., detergents etc?

3) What is supposedly better about the Mobil 1 "extended perfomance" formula? The phosphorous / zinc is the same as the regular formula, but that's all the information I have found, maybe it has a higher amount of other additives to start with, to facilitate longer drain intervals?

4) I am using a filter mag, and wondered, as silly as it may sound, if a powerful magnet such as this could possibly be removing the ferrous-metal additives in the oil itself. Many people show super-fine, almost dust-like particles on videos and I wonder if it's just pulling that out of the motor oil itself as well as grabbing metal shavings from the motor

5) Are zinc additives such as zddp a good idea to mix with, say, Mobil 1 oil, for a 94 GMC with a 350, or an 02 with a 5.3? Is the reduction of zinc in the currently available SM specification harmful to the engine in terms of reduced wear protection? (I'm far less concerned about my catalytic converter than my engine in the long term)

Worry more about that 4L60E transmission and your rear diff. Consider synthetics in there. At the very least, increase the interval on fluid changes there.

Your engine will go forever on nearly any synthetic 5w-30 changed in accordance with your OLM.

thanks for the input so far!
i may have to break this 5 question post down to 5 separate posts to be able to get specific detailed answers on each

agree with changing the tranny fluid, every 20-30k. depending how fanatical you are! use either SUV or EP. but actually, 3500 lbs is not all that heavy.

looks like it may be helpful though...nobody has touched on #5, #4, #3, and no specifics on #1 and #2...if I break it down into separate questions, it may be more likely to attract more specific answers on each topic, and not be such a daunting task to answer 5 specific questions at once...

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
Glad I found this forum...so much to ask, where to begin?!

Have an 02 Silverado with the 5.3, tow frequently (almost everywhere it goes, daily), a trailer of about 3500 lbs. Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 (weight as recommended by the factory).

Several questions, as follows:

1) Are there any actual differences between Mobil 1 regular, and Mobil 1 "truck and suv formula" (per Mobil's website, they both have 800 / 900 ppm of phosphorous and zinc respectively), but I'm not sure if there are other differences...that was the only spec I could find on their site.

2) Noticed that the Mobil 1 "high mileage formula" has 900 / 1000 ppm of phosphorous and zinc respectively - would it be better for preventing wear? And does it still have the exact same formulation of the other additives as the "regular formula", i.e., detergents etc?

3) What is supposedly better about the Mobil 1 "extended perfomance" formula? The phosphorous / zinc is the same as the regular formula, but that's all the information I have found, maybe it has a higher amount of other additives to start with, to facilitate longer drain intervals?

4) I am using a filter mag, and wondered, as silly as it may sound, if a powerful magnet such as this could possibly be removing the ferrous-metal additives in the oil itself. Many people show super-fine, almost dust-like particles on videos and I wonder if it's just pulling that out of the motor oil itself as well as grabbing metal shavings from the motor

5) Are zinc additives such as zddp a good idea to mix with, say, Mobil 1 oil, for a 94 GMC with a 350, or an 02 with a 5.3? Is the reduction of zinc in the currently available SM specification harmful to the engine in terms of reduced wear protection? (I'm far less concerned about my catalytic converter than my engine in the long term)

1. Probably has higher HTHS, "Tougher".
2. Yes. Not sure, I believe it has more detergents as well as more seal conditioners possibly.
3. More detergency to fight acids and oil breakdown for a longer period.
4. No ferrous metal additives in motor oil.
5. I would not mess with the chemistry of a oil. Just use a good oil. If you want more protection buy a "High Mileage" Variant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post!

I have an '03 GMC Sierra 53.L, 4L60E Transmission & limited slip rear end. I tow a lot also, a 3,000Lb boat, haul wood, etc.

That engine will last a long time and is tough. If you want to stay with M1, go with the Truck & SUV. I run Amsoil & sometimes PP.

Do you have a limited slip diff? If so, use Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 & SLIP-LOCK diff. additive!

How many times has the trans. fluid been changed, which fluid and at what mileages? Same with the front Diff, read Diff & Transfer Case.

If you're willing to run a 5w40 in your chevy, it's hard to argue with the results that have been posted for Mobil 1 TDT 5w40.

Cheers,

Jeff

I've been considering that, although I'm not sure that the viscosity difference is a good thing...If I was a complete expert on engines, and that engine in particular, and oil, I'd probably be well informed enough to know if that's a good or bad idea, but since I'm a novice, I'm not sure...

I did notice that the TDT 5w40 has 1100 / 1200 ppm compared to the 800 / 900 of the T&SUV and regular formula, and the 900 / 1000 ppm of the High Mileage formula, so it's tempting...

So far, so good...135k and has pulled a trailer probably 90 percent of the miles from 90 till now...

Reminds me, it is time for a tranny fluid change, thanks for the suggestion I'll go with synthetic there too. I did change the rear dif fluid at 100k, and put syn in it, as well as the special syn lube to smear all over the G80 locker...Mine is 2wd so I don't have a front diff etc..

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
I've been considering that, although I'm not sure that the viscosity difference is a good thing...If I was a complete expert on engines, and that engine in particular, and oil, I'd probably be well informed enough to know if that's a good or bad idea, but since I'm a novice, I'm not sure...

I did notice that the TDT 5w40 has 1100 / 1200 ppm compared to the 800 / 900 of the T&SUV and regular formula, and the 900 / 1000 ppm of the High Mileage formula, so it's tempting...

I'm running it in my 5.4L Modular which spec's 5w20
wink.gif

I wish they would just make something in this viscosity that doesn't raise suspicions of too little ZDDP in those of us who think too much..lol

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Great post!

I have an '03 GMC Sierra 53.L, 4L60E Transmission & limited slip rear end. I tow a lot also, a 3,000Lb boat, haul wood, etc.

That engine will last a long time and is tough. If you want to stay with M1, go with the Truck & SUV. I run Amsoil & sometimes PP.

Do you have a limited slip diff? If so, use Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 & SLIP-LOCK diff. additive!

How many times has the trans. fluid been changed, which fluid and at what mileages? Same with the front Diff, read Diff & Transfer Case.

GM trucks use a G80 locking differential. Car use a limited slip. Look in the glove box for the RPO code G80.

The G80 locks both wheels together when one wheel spins 100 rpm faster than the other. It will unlock over 20 MPH. GM says not to use an additive in the G80.

LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL LUBRICANT (SERVICE INFORMATION) #91-4-109
SUBJECT: LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (G80) LUBRICANT - (SERVICE INFORMATION)
VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL LIGHT TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH G80 REAR AXLE ALL YEARS
Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop.
This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of clutches in differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant.
To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle with SAE 80W-90 GL5 (P/N 10950849). The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.VEHICLES/COMPONENTS INVOLVED: ----------------------------- Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles, RPO G80.
SERVICE PARTS INFORMATION:
Part Number Description ----------- ------------------ 10950849 Lubricant, Rear Axle (1 litre)
Parts are currently available through CANSPO.
WARRANTY INFORMATION:
As specified in Light Duty Truck Maintenance Schedules, locking rear axle fluid drain and refill is required owner maintenance at the first engine oil change. Failure to drain and refill the rear axle as specified may contribute to a later axle chatter condition. Refer to the appropriate Light Duty Truck Maintenance Schedule or service manual, section OB, for further details on change intervals.
General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMZ9vcYVSg

Last edited:
thanks for the info on that, I'll be sure not to smear any of that lithium looking [censored] on there when I change it next...to be honest, i'm not completely sure if I did it or not the first time...it's been 2 years ago, and I've slept since then lol. I remember researching whether I should or shouldn't use it, at the time, and don't really remember what I ended up doing.

Good info.

I knew all of that except for the part about not using an additive.

So, Amsoil Slip Lock should not be used? I have used it in most of my 168,000 miles on mine.

Pablo - any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back