Castro Syntec doesnt have GM 4718M approval? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never unlocked the mystery of the corvette 4718M spec. Where does syntec 5W-30 not perform to meet this approval? - or is this just an EoM v. BP thing and BP is just staying away from GM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
or is this just an EoM v. BP thing and BP is just staying away from GM?

BP is not staying away from GM. Castrol Edge (5w-30 and 10w-30) both carry the GM 4718M approvals.

So castrol is inferior in some aspect as plain old m1 carries the approval as well as other "humble" oils. Castrols add pack looks strong in this oil - dont understand. Basestock issues? Shears out of grade?

Edge does not have the approval either. My guess is they didn't pay to have it tested. I would think with the add pack it has it could pass it. But maybe I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

BP is not staying away from GM. Castrol Edge (5w-30 and 10w-30) both carry the GM 4718M approvals.
No it does not. It says on the bottle it exceeds those requirements. It doesn't say its approved for them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brian12

No it does not. It says on the bottle it exceeds those requirements. It doesn't say its approved for them.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

The last time I looked Edge was not on the approval list.

Last edited:
I wonder if that is WPP listed as warren on the approval list. It would be shocking if WM's synthetic really did meet the GM4718 spec. If it does I may have a new oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
The Walmart Supertech does meet the spec.

It meets 6094M, but not 4718M.

Personally, I don't really know what the difference between these two specs is. Anyone got some info on that?

It meets 6094M, but not 4718M.

Personally, I don't really know what the difference between these two specs is. Anyone got some info on that?

As I recall 4718M deals with high temp specs.

Well it is now. Has been for a little while.

The last time I looked Edge was not on the approval list.

OK, so WP ( old supertech) and Kendall meet 4718M but not Castrol Syntec. That is embarrassing for BP. I tried this oil since I'm always badmouthing BP for their past actions and LCD advetisments but want some seat time behind it to flesh out my comments. Ive been down the M1, PP and synpower road. It's current fill in the Yaris with a wix 2AZFE app filter. Engine runs well, doesnt "feel' like a under 10cst oil on the road or behind the piston. And its 90 deg around here this week. Good power from this oil.

So BITOG'ers it appears we still dont know whats in 4781M. I couldnt find anything on a WWW search either. Gotta crack this egg!

GM 4718M is a high temperature test wear test. Regular Syntec has been among the most over rated oils on the market to date.

In Canada, they ended up making a specific oil that met the GM 4718m. Edge I think meets it but is not officially approved.

Not a BP fan but, its add pack is as strong as anything. Runs good in the engine - blows away the Synpower it just replaced.

Not a BP fan but, its add pack is as strong as anything. Runs good in the engine - blows away the Synpower it just replaced.
How does it blow it away? Is your engine smoother?

I should abstain but I can't. Specs are awarded to licensi's. Licensies are paid for. C astrol and BP have relationships with BMW and Ford but not GM. Castrol Syntec is a sleeper. I plan on purchasing and running nothing but the Syntec once my current stash is gone.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I should abstain but I can't. Specs are awarded to licensi's. Licensies are paid for. C astrol and BP have relationships with BMW and Ford but not GM. Castrol Syntec is a sleeper. I plan on purchasing and running nothing but the Syntec once my current stash is gone.
Why nothing but Syntec? lmao

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back