Removing paint scuffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's Odyssey got lightly brushed by something/one like maybe a white car door. Didn't dent, just left a little white paint. In the past, on my CR-V, I used a dab of Berryman Chemtool. But I can see where this hazed up the clearcoat a tad. What's something a bit less harsh I could use? I seem to remember trying WD-40 on the CR-V before the Chemtool with no luck.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Wife's Odyssey got lightly brushed by something/one like maybe a white car door. Didn't dent, just left a little white paint. In the past, on my CR-V, I used a dab of Berryman Chemtool. But I can see where this hazed up the clearcoat a tad. What's something a bit less harsh I could use? I seem to remember trying WD-40 on the CR-V before the Chemtool with no luck.

Umm, how about trying some products designed for this purpose? Engine additives are much too harsh as you discovered. You can use something OTC like Meguire's heavy duty car cleaner or Scratch X or light polishing compounds that are clear coat safe.

Scratch X works great, it will even get out a little deeper scratches if you really put some elbow grease into it.

Chemtool is like using paint remover on it.Get some scratch remover and buff carefully.

I thought Scratch-X was just for scratches??? So the only solution to gettting rid of these little paint scuffs properly is to buff them out with a rubbing compound of some sort? What if I use magic eraser or clay or something like that?

Nevermind on the Magic Eraser. I just saw that thread on it! I'm just thinking there's got to be something fairly gentle that I can use. I mean, it's just a couple of superficial paint streaks. It's almost as if I could peel them off.

I thought Scratch-X was just for scratches??? So the only solution to gettting rid of these little paint scuffs properly is to buff them out with a rubbing compound of some sort? What if I use magic eraser or clay or something like that?

The part of it's that above the level of your old paint should respond to clay barring. One of the original uses of claybars was to remove over spray in body shops.

A properly used claybar will only remove what sticks up above the surface of the paint. Rubbing compound or other cloth applied scratch removers will remove some of the surrounding surface as well.

Look at the process as a two part process where you get rid of the white transferred paint with as little impact on your paint as possible. Then when the white is off, evaluate how much polishing you want to do to smooth things out.

Yeah, well, I'm also probably making it sound worse than it is. It's just a couple of faint streaks about an inch long that you can't see from more than a a few feet away. I really don't know how it got there...

Yeah, well, I'm also probably making it sound worse than it is. It's just a couple of faint streaks about an inch long that you can't see from more than a a few feet away. I really don't know how it got there...

When there is a streak on your own car, it is "worse".

The claybar is your friend. Keep your paint lubed like the instructions say and the bar doesn't even touch your actual paint. It just glides on the soap water mix.

If you want something over the counter, pick up Quixx kit from usual places. I found mine at a drug store last year for $15. It used to be in Walmart too. It does a great job on light scratches and scuff marks. I have used it to do minor scratch repairs using touch up paint and some light wet-sanding by the provided emery paper. The tubes from the kit polishes the paint very nicely.

- Vikas

I also vote for Scratch X, as I've found it's an excellent light duty compound for removing light scratches and does a great job on swirl marks too. They've got a new version out, Scratch X 2.0, which seems to do an even better job. I use it with a dual action polisher though, not by hand, as that takes far too long.

My 98 Corvette is black, and has 105k on it but still has all the original paint, even though I've driven it through 5 winters now too. People are constantly commenting on how amazed they are that they don't see swirl marks or scratches on the paint. My secret recipe is Scratch X 2.0 followed up with NXT 2.0.

I 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever it is for the Scratch-X. It works well for minor blemishes. If you need something that's a bit more abraisive the Ultimate Compound is also good.

Patman

I don't know how the NXT 2.0 ends up looking good for you. I love the Scratch-X, but I've used the NXT on my black motorcycle and it absolutely looks like chit. Duragloss 101 looks infinitely better. I also just ordered a bottle of the Zaino All In One and will find out how good it does.

I didn't need anything abrasive. It was a very light scuff of white paint. Against everyones advice (sorry!) I rubbed on the tiniest drip of WD-40 and it was enough to take it off. No hazing or any other damage apparent. I realized later that I actualy DO have some Scratch-X that I had bought for my saab and am going to try it on another spot where the wife slightly dinged her mirror against a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back