DEISEL FUEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Pilot and actually talked with a representative in the supply side of things. I asked him what he looked for in the fuel that he purchased. He said there isn’t much since all fuel is basically the same and fuel is purchased based upon the pipeline specification not the refiner.

So I found the pipeline spec’s for ULSD and compared it to the requirements for my 2010 DD15 and was a bit surprised to discover the gap between them. The pipeline spec meets the requirements but at minimum levels. Meaning, “the” minimum requirements appear to be the pipeline spec’s.

I have two questions for the experts; can a fuel additive really bump the numbers up and is the additional cost of the additive worth it. What is the net gain of the additive? Improved fuel economy or preventative maintenance? Or both?

It is not surprising that any company only uses the minimal of the spec.

I don't know the answer to all your question, but go to this link of the lubricity study for diesel additive by Spicer at DieselPlace forum. It is a known fact that the ULSD has less lubricity, hence, this study shows the impact of different additive for diesel fuel in terms of lubricity.
The study was members supported and not supplier supported so there is additional brownie point for that.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

There is also a discussion thread separated after a few pages that you can access by going to the Maint&Lubrication section at Diesel Page. Some of the mods at BITOG is also mods there.

Thanks for the feedback and I will follow those links tonight when I have a bit more time …

I do want to take a moment to clarify something. The pipeline specs for ULSD appear to be the same everywhere. It is my understanding that most energy companies transport most of their product using pipelines.

If the pipeline spec calls for a cetane value of 40 then that is all that will come out the other end. No supplier will provide more than they have to. So it appears that the pipeline spec that is the limiting factor.

It was my understanding that the additive packages were put in by the distributors after the fuel left the pipeline but it appears that isn’t happening. So we are left to put the additive package in ourselves? Is this correct? Someone … ?

I am not sure lubricity is really a concern with the new oil and injection systems. But I will read more about it tonight …

You may have to dig into your states requirements as well to find a true story for your location. The pipeline minimum spec may be a cetane value of 40, but for instance the Texas Low Emissions Diesel program sets the minimum requirement for the 113 Eastern counties at a cetane value of 48. Texas 30 TAC 114.312

Locally here in a review of the code it seems that there is no state requirement on lubricity. http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/implementation/air/sip/miscdocs/DRAFT.TxLEDQnA.pdf

IT seems currently the only spec governing lubricity requirements is the ASTM spec, and in general experience at the pump there is no way to know if you are getting ASTM spec fuel.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/diesel/documents/420b06010.pdf

"TWOA commented that requiring tug/towboats operating in the
HGA to utilize 15 ppm sulfur diesel fuel creates safety risks because
many tug/towboat engines utilize diesel fuel as a lubricant
and the drier ultra-low sulfur diesel could cause failures of these
engines thereby creating collision and pollution hazards.
The commission disagrees with this comment. All currently used
or proposed low sulfur diesel fuels are designed to meet the
ASTM viscosity specification or the ASTM standard for lubricity.
The low sulfur diesel fuels currently in use, such as CARB diesel
(15 ppm), Swedish diesel (10 ppm), ARCO-BPAmoco (9 ppm),
have not demonstrated any lubricity problems with the fuel injection
and/or supply systems. Since the low sulfur diesel fuels are
designed to meet the specification for lubricity based on ASTM
standards, there should be no lubricity problem associated with
fuel systems due to their ultra-low sulfur contents. The commission
made no changes to the rule language in response to this
comment."
http://texinfo.library.unt.edu/texasregister/pdf/2001/0112is.pdf

Now that is interesting … different fuel specs by region/state. Was that draft ever acted upon?

I am not certain if the same lubricity issues apply to me or anyone else with a newer engine with a CJ-4 engine oil specification.

I travel all 48 states and purchase my fuel according to my route plans and the cost of fuel. I am certain the fuel quality varies a great deal. By the time the fuel hits the injectors it will have been filtered three times. I feel the fuel will be as clean as it can possibly be. Now I am just wondering what I should be adding back to it.

My goal is reduced fuel consumption and preventative maintenance …

… tim

" It was my understanding that the additive packages were put in by the distributors after the fuel left the pipeline but it appears that isn’t happening. So we are left to put the additive package in ourselves? Is this correct? Someone … ?"

Some do some don't
A good fuel additive will give you added lubricity, detergency,anti-corrosion and more. It WILL provide preventative main. for your injectors and fuel system and get you a moderate fuel mileage improvement.

Last edited:
The folks there at diesel place did an excellent job with that test. I wish we had more resouces like that. Thank you JMJNet for binging it to my attention ...

.... tim

Originally Posted By: timenright
Was that draft ever acted upon?

… tim

Hi Tim,
I believe it was, as all current code seems to comply with the answers in that QandA. It looks like they just never got around to removing the draft label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back