Diesel oil in gas engine reply - long

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I asked Valvoline about using oil that is intended for use in diesel engines and here are their responses (including the follow-up Q/A):

A - "Most Valvoline diesel oils are also rated for gasoline applications, but we are not sure why you would want to use diesel oils, as these oils are formulated with other additives to assist diesel engine operations. What is your purpose
of wanting to use diesel oils?"

Q - My main interest is the additional zinc and detergents that I believe are in diesel oils.

A - "Here is some more insight on the Zinc and Phosphorus spectrum for your reading. Diesel oils are not the answer. With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for engine oil. The current API standard is “SM,” which replaced the previous “SL” classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle’s emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current engine oil. Because of this, many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in “SM” engine oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new engine oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible, which in turn has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern engine oil is not adequate to protect older engines.
Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the engine oil where it protects the engine, instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car engine oils, including SynPower which is the only synthetic offering this additive.
The only exclusion to this would be if you are operating a high performance or aggressive cam application, where high Zinc levels may be required. Because of these requirements, there are high-zinc engine oils available to meet this need, such as our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil. The VR1 Racing Oil establishes a 75% higher zinc content than SM engine oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines and carries an oil change interval recommendation of 3 month/3,000 miles.
It is important to note, however, that the entire additive package still needs to be balanced for best performance. For example, engine oil with a high zinc level but low detergent may not perform over a drain interval of 3,000 miles or longer."

So...what does everybody think about this?
shocked2.gif

I think it's a great response.

Quote:
Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car engine oils, including SynPower which is the only synthetic offering this additive.

Originally Posted By: vregan
The other day I asked Valvoline about using oil that is intended for use in diesel engines and here are their responses (including the follow-up Q/A):

A - "Most Valvoline diesel oils are also rated for gasoline applications, but we are not sure why you would want to use diesel oils, as these oils are formulated with other additives to assist diesel engine operations. What is your purpose
of wanting to use diesel oils?"

Q - My main interest is the additional zinc and detergents that I believe are in diesel oils.

So...what does everybody think about this?
shocked2.gif

Zn and P contents are at least fourth on my list of reasons for running Rotella T Synthetic in my older-style engines. First is high TBN retention for longer OCI, second is high viscosity index, third is detergent/suspension capability.. then maybe comes flat tappet protection.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
A little puffy, flowery and ad like. But reasonably accurate.

Are they(Valvoline) covering their rear??? If they say yeah go ahead and somebodies cat conv takes a dumper they could say well Valvo said it was ok!
21.gif

I think it's an accurate response, not condescending in its tone, unlike some of their competitors replies I got when asking a simple question. Over the past few months I've gained a lot of respect for Valvoline, respect that was lost over 30 years ago. I guess anything is possible :)

I agree. I don't use Valvoline much anymore but the replies from the tech department has impressed me, the products seem top-notch also.

I am considering putting 5W40 Delvac 1 in my wife's 2002 VW 1.8 Turbo Passat for the summer. It has spent it's life on M1 10W30 EP (last few years) with M1 301 large turbo filter. These are the sludge (coke from turbo) prone engines and this one has run well with no usage on 5K oci's. Since things are good, I do not want to induce a problem, but with 110K I thought this may be OK for the heat of the summer months and resistant to coking during shutoff. She does high speed freeway miles of 300 to 500 miles regularly. Opinions?

People on this site are WAY too obsessed with Zinc content in motor oil. There are excellent UOA's of flat tappet engines all over the UOA section on standard SM oils.

I'm going to have to agree with Valvoline.

SCM746, D1 is SL rated, while D1 ESP & M1 TDT are both SM rated. I think an '02 is approved using SL, isn't it? So, while M1 TDT is least expensive, all three of these 5W-40s should be good to go in your gasoline engine.

How often are you changing the oil? I just replaced our '99 Saab T5 with an '02 Saab T7 sludge-prone model, so I'm switching from 10k mi OCIs to 5k mi OCIs to avoid any problems. I've been using M1 TDT 5W-40 in the '99 & will continue to use it in the '02.

If you're uneasy about running a dual-rated oil, switch to M1 10W-30 HM instead. It's got the beefed up add pack AND has the better Euro ACEA A3 HT/HS for our turbos.

Originally Posted By: vregan
Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the engine oil where it protects the engine,
shocked2.gif

Does phosphorus in other brands escape through the PCV?

When I emailed RP a couple of weeks ago,they recommended their 15W40 (and also their 10W40 and 20W50) for my 300ZX,which is their diesel/gasoline oil. I`ve used it several times in the past and it`s definitely one of my favorite oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EvoStevo
Is what he was saying about VR1's 3-month/3,000-mile OCI true? I've been taking this oil to as much as 7,000 miles on my BMW.
I suspect they will give you 3 months/3000 miles for all their regular PCMO oils, Maxlife, Premium Conventional, Durablend, and even Synpower. That is their corporate mentality. I don't believe VR-1 has any less detergent than their PCMO oils. But VR-1 is not a synthetic, so I would not go over 5000 miles without a UOA. Why not call Valvoline and ask them if you can use VR-1 in your car. When they say 3000 miles, tell them your owners manual says to go 5000, and ask if that would be okay. I suspect they will say yes. Or better yet, just flat out ask them if VR-1 has less detergent/dispersant.

My mother was fortunate enough to snap a fleet, oil-field, 1/2 ton Ford PU that was 4 years old....with 300k on the vehicle. Yep, original engine and tranny....for $500.

The past year, I have done 6 month OCI's on this rig with Mobil 1 15w40 Diesel Engine Oil. This high mileage truck loves this oil. Doesn't eat a drop and runs smooth as silk.

Heck, the final 200k might make this dude a 1/2 million mile truck....and I guarantee it will finish its life with 15w40.

Last edited:
Thanks Eiron....I will give the Delvac 1 a whirl. As I understand it, the time immediately following shut down after shutdown is most critical. As it spins down and cools off, the turbo attempts to boil and cook down the oil left in it

I change the oil on 5K intervals and use the large size Mobil 1 301 filter which is the proper fit for these engines. With this filter you can replace the full four quarts without being well above the fill line.

I am fine running the dual rated oil 5W40 and will try the M1 10W30 HM this coming winter.

thanks

Originally Posted By: CSM746
Thanks Eiron....I will give the Delvac 1 a whirl. As I understand it, the time immediately following shut down after shutdown is most critical. As it spins down and cools off, the turbo attempts to boil and cook down the oil left in it

I change the oil on 5K intervals and use the large size Mobil 1 301 filter which is the proper fit for these engines. With this filter you can replace the full four quarts without being well above the fill line.

I am fine running the dual rated oil 5W40 and will try the M1 10W30 HM this coming winter.

thanks

The best way to prevent that is to drive nicely a mile or two before you shut it down. I used dino in my GN all these years and have never had a coking issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back