VOA Kubota 15-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: X-ref'ed from this thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1348188#Post1348188

Something really seems strange - look at those numbers. This is a CI-4/CG-4/SL oil, but the additive #'s seem awful low. Definitely expecting to see higher everything, especially zinc/phos.
21.gif
I've seen higher numbers from CJ-4/SM's.
frown.gif
Maybe we worry too much.
27.gif

Here are Blackstone's comments:
RON: The viscosity of this virgin oil sample was typical for this oil type and grade. It did not contain any water or insolubles. The additive levels were properly balanced, but a bit low compared to most other 15W/40's (this is not necessarily a problem, unless you have reason to believe it is) WTH does that mean?. This clean, dry oil appears suitable for use. The TBN was 10.4, which is appropriate for this type diesel engine use oil.

UOA #——–

MI/HR ON OIL: —–
MI/HR ON UNIT: ——
DATE: 1-30-09

ALUMINUM: 0
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 1
COPPER: 0
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLY: 1
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
BORON: 1
SILICON: 3
SODIUM: 2
CALCIUM: 693
MAGNESIUM: 532
PHOSPHOROUS: 676
ZINC: 816
BARIUM: 0

SUS VISC. @210F: 76.0
Cst Visc. @100C: 14.50
Flashpoint: 425
Fuel %: —
Antifreeze %: —
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.0
TBN: 10.4
TAN:
ISO Code:

I shook the heck out of the bottle before I took the sample so everything should be mixed up in there; maybe I didn't shake it enough?
Blackstone's equipment out of calibration?
Maybe I'll shake it even harder/re-send?
Send somewhere else? Recommendations?
Not worry about it? It's for my bro's tractor, after all, and I know the J-D stuff http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1062417#Post1062417 I use in mine is good.
54.gif

Last edited:
your quote seems to be appropriate for this thread. I would trust the results. I don't know enough to make any conclusions. Is there an authority which certifies labs over there?

Quote:
Is there an authority which certifies labs over there?
I dunno if there's a national 'standards' rule-set they must meet or not. I'm sure the more knowledgeable guys here will chime in.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
An injection of cynicism here, but how much $$ was the oil/qt.

Dunno?? I'll find out. Normally, OEM branded stuff isn't cheap. He DID get 10% off on the oil/filters because he bought a $36,000 tractor, tho..
crazy2.gif

I'm shocked at the calcium level in particular, considering the majority of Japanese light diesels call for a minimum of 3000+ppm

Does this match up with any other known oil?
Be interesting to find out who actually makes it.....

Was it in fact a 15w-40? I'm surprised because Kubota favors a 10w-30
12.gif

Interesting, to say the least.

A CI-4 with only 10.4 TBN; geez. You can get as good as that from CJ-4.

Kind blows Kub's whole "don't use CJ-4" oil comments into the toilet.

Nothing like a company saying "don't use this; use that instead" and then having their own oil basically, ummm, suck.

Unless, of course, it's their diabolical plan to sell their house branded inferior oil, so that you'll burn up your engine, and come back for a new tractor ...

Personally, I run Rotella 10w-30 in my Kubota L3430GST. I have just used my last of the Rotella CI-4 stock, and I'll be moving on to the CJ-4 stuff next go around.

And seeing this report, I'm not worried in the slighest. CJ-4 is every bit as good as what Kubota is selling, and probably a lot better.

Last edited:
I sincerely doubt you'll hurt your 'bota by using Rotella.

Those numbers are so goofy that I'm going to send a sample to another lab (Polaris Labs) for a double-check. I'll post back when I get the results.
thumbsup2.gif

On a bit of a side-rant ...

WTH is Blackstone doing these days? I used to have faith in them, but I'm not so convinced any longer. Seems their numbers are occasionally askew, at least to their comments. Not that it doesn't happen at other labs, but for the prices they charge, I want top efforts and results. Personal comments written by a human mean little to me if they are jibberish, and/or the numbers are funky. Either the TBN is (what I consider) low for a CI-4, which means their written comment is stupid, or the reading way off, and it's actually higher than 10.4. But either way, it's not confidence inspiring ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
On a bit of a side-rant ...

WTH is Blackstone doing these days? I used to have faith in them, but I'm not so convinced any longer. Seems their numbers are occasionally askew, at least to their comments. Not that it doesn't happen at other labs, but for the prices they charge, I want top efforts and results. Personal comments written by a human mean little to me if they are jibberish, and/or the numbers are funky. Either the TBN is (what I consider) low for a CI-4, which means their written comment is stupid, or the reading way off, and it's actually higher than 10.4. But either way, it's not confidence inspiring ...

My thoughts exactly - I should have the Polaris Labs test kit here today or tomorrow, and I'll send the sample out post-haste.

Those numbers they came up with just do NOT sound right.
crazy2.gif

Okay, I got the results back from Polaris Labs today, and, I guess it's pretty obvious that nothing can be taken as an absolute.
21.gif

Here are the original Blackstone numbers, with the corresponding Polaris # in red beside each one that is different.
ALUMINUM: 0
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 1
COPPER: 0
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLY: 1
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
BORON: 1
SILICON: 3
SODIUM: 2
CALCIUM: 693 1086
MAGNESIUM: 532 748
PHOSPHOROUS: 676 940
ZINC: 816 1202
BARIUM: 0

SUS VISC. @210F: 76.0
Cst Visc. @100C: 14.50 15.5
Flashpoint: 425
Fuel %: —
Antifreeze %: —
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.0
TBN: 10.4 8.67

I wonder what this all means??

I guess there's a lot of art mixed in with the science of these things..
54.gif

Now you see why I use Polaris/OAI. I've seen to many fishy looking numbers on VOA's by Blackstone. They have some kind of issue with calibration on unused oils. It's always the Ca, Mg, P and Z they seem to have issues with, too. Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back