best synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
SublGT - You asked:
"Doug, did you ever have air cooled diesels in your fleet?"

No, not in my own Fleet but in my Client's Fleets. These were primarily mid horsepower auxilliary engines on tankers and the likes. Deutz and Hatz are very good engines - all on 15W-40 HDEOs

I have also had some exposure to the larger range of Deutz engines in highway trucks, machinery and etc - in the distant past!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
I'm guilty. I was an M1 advocate. But the relentless "15ppm Iron on M1 vs. 8ppm Iron on PP" finally wore me down and I freaked out a couple of wks ago. Took my two jugs of M1 5w20 back to Wally and got me a "gift card". Very embarrassing.

I have 2 quarts of 0w20 and 2 quarts of 0w30 and was tempted to return those today, swaping out for PP 5w20. But I didn't.

I will probably be one of those that in the midst of Mobil 1's, Valvoline Challenge.....to use my two, Mobil 1 coupon's for $10 off!!!!

You guys will love this..... Today I was in Wal-Mart on the oil isle and there were two Ya-Hoo's discussing oil. When they saw the M1 memo about a hurricane and supply and then saw much of the oil out of stock...the said...."That's the best [censored] oil on the planet....look, it is always sold out of stock!!!" They then filled up their cart with the cheapest, [censored] Wal-Mart brand of dino.

Doug's Pictures:
Delvac1DDetroit001Renn.jpg

Delvac1DDetroit002Renn.jpg

Delvac1DDetroit003Renn.jpg

Delvac1DDetroit005Renn.jpg

Delvac1DDetroit006Renn.jpg

Delvac1DDetroit008Renn.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Doug, are the above photos your Delvac 1 runs?

Quote:
This particular engine of mine (DD Series 60 - 500hp) was dismantled by Detroit Diesel Allison-MTU (manufacturer) in Brisbane, Australia at 1.12m kms.

Near 700,000 miles and the photos are all titled with Delvac. I don't know OCI/filter protocol.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Doug, are the above photos your Delvac 1 runs?

Quote:
This particular engine of mine (DD Series 60 - 500hp) was dismantled by Detroit Diesel Allison-MTU (manufacturer) in Brisbane, Australia at 1.12m kms.

Near 700,000 miles and the photos are all titled with Delvac. I don't know OCI/filter protocol.

If these are the runs he's posted about before, they were extended OCI's.

Do you have a picture of the thrust bearing or do these big diesels run a different type of setup?

Hello,
Pablo - Firstly, thank you for posting the pictures for me - I appreciate that a lot

Information:
Operation = Interstate, Linehaul,Reefer - one Driver for life,
Typical use per annum = 225kkms

Detroit Diesel 12.7ltr Series 60 @ 500hp, 1650lb/ft @1200-1525rpm
Cruise revs 1650rpm, Max revs 1800
Donaldson ELF Filters + MannHummel Centrifuge
Lubricant = Delvac 1 5W-40 (from 60kkms)

OCIs
Average = 99711kms
Longest = 116227kms

Data
Soot
Average @ OCI = 3.2%
Highest @ OCI = 7.8%

Iron
Average @ OCI = 134ppm
Highest @ OCI 221ppm

Highest TAN @ OCI = 6.13
Lowest TBN @ OCI = 2.26

Centrifuge uptake rate = 0.0029g/km

Oil consumption averaged almost exactly 6kkms/ltr

The two major condemnation points were soot (3.5%) @ iron (150ppm) - viscosity was always near new

I hope this is of interest

Last edited:
Hi,
BuickGN - Sorry I have no pictures of the thrusts. This area is "bullet proof" and where possible the bearings were simply "turned" - including the camshaft bearings

These engines have a very robust bottom end!

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Originally Posted By: XS650

I thought about that. Off hand I can't think of a truck that has a 3.8.

Don

Dodge Dakota

Dodge Dekota has a 3.9

I don't know if this has been answered or not, but, Chevrolet used the 3.8 V6 back in the 80's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FrankN4

Don

Dodge Dakota

Dodge Dekota has a 3.9

I don't know if this has been answered or not, but, Chevrolet used the 3.8 V6 back in the 80's.

True, the Buick 3.8L has been in just about every GM product except for the truck line. They even used the 3.8 based 4.1 in some Caddies. I'm pretty sure there has never been another 3.8L in the GM lineup.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I haven't seen anybody here "freaking out" over M1. All I see is some debate about M1.

I'm guilty. I was an M1 advocate. But the relentless "15ppm Iron on M1 vs. 8ppm Iron on PP" finally wore me down and I freaked out a couple of wks ago. Took my two jugs of M1 5w20 back to Wally and got me a "gift card". Very embarrassing.

To my credit I've still got M1 0w20 in the Mazda 6 - w/ 5+k on the oil now. Not dumping it any time soon. The good news is I can now wait for a "price roll back" - surely one is coming.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

Don

Dodge Dakota

Dodge Dekota has a 3.9

Not in a truck.

Doug, the main and rod bearings appear to be worn out. Did they still measure in spec, after 700,000 miles? Did lead, tin or copper in the UOA foretell the condition of the bearings?

Hi,
SudLGT - Worn out? They measured within specification and are still in the engine. As mentioend earlier where possible it is common place to "roll" them - this was done of course

Wear metals on this engine as requested:
Average at OC in ppm;
Copper 7 (30) Max recorded 63
Lead 43 (30) Max recorded 68

The bracketed figures are the condemnation limits from DD-MTU

Roll = changing the position of the bearing shell from top to bottom

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
SudLGT - Worn out? They measured within specification and are still in the engine. As mentioend earlier where possible it is common place to "roll" them - this was done of course

Wear metals on this engine as requested:
Average at OC in ppm;
Copper 7 (30) Max recorded 63
Lead 43 (30) Max recorded 68

The bracketed figures are the condemnation limits from DD-MTU

Roll = changing the position of the bearing shell from top to bottom

Very interesting, I've never heard of rolling the bearings. Then again, I've never had any bearings that were "rollable". Some were really bad and some were just bad. Before I went to a heavier oil I tried some of Clevite's "race" hardness bearings and ended up costing me a crank too. In the end, regular hardness bearings and 20-50 solved my problems.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
54dp43.jpg

As we ALL know the off-road handling of Cadillacs is legendary

The father of a guy I went to H/S with had a car JUST like that - a 2-door in the exact same clour combo! It was in mint shape, and was really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back