PP 5w30, 7200 miles, 98 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
results look fine to me with the driving conditions. The OLM at 0% doesn't make me flinch. Corvette OLM designed for syn? since car comes with Mobil 1 from factory?

Yep, OLM is calibrated based on synthetic oil. Also, as mentioned in my last post, the calibration on my 98 is based on a maximum of 10,000 miles, while the calibration on the 01-04 is based on 15,000 miles. So when I'm at 0% in mine, I could reset it and go down another 50% if I wanted to be equal to the calibration on the 01-04.

You tell em Pat!!!

I agree with you. The only reason I suggested the 10w30 is to try to slow consumption... but it really is no big deal when a report comes back like that one.

I am happy with how well PP held up.

07.gif
23.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: hate2work

So, in my opinion, he is living a little bit on the edge doing it this way. He's already told us that he pushed a previous OLM past the 0% mark, which tells us about his maintenance habits, right?

Excuse me? Are you accusing me of neglecting this car? First of all, the OLM in the 98-00 Corvette is calibrated differently than the 01-04, so the OLM counts down faster in my 98. After reviewing things, they revised the OLM in the newer years without any mechanical changes, so by me going beyond 0% is no different than when the 01-04 guys follow their monitor right to the end. So I'm not neglecting my car thank you very much! Also, I didn't go beyond 0% until after I'd seen a few oil analysis results and determined it was safe. On my longest run of almost 9000 miles, the wear numbers were excellent and so was the condition of the oil. I could still go that far if it weren't for the cold air intake I've got now.

I'm going to stick with my current oil change schedule, as I see nothing wrong with this report that would tell me I'm pushing this oil too far. I see no benefit of a third oil change per year.

Well, neglect is such an ugly word....but that's one way to put it. Let's just say that you're not doing this car any favors with this maintenance schedule.

I'll say it again, you're not giving yourself any "wiggle room" on your oil changes. Why do you feel the need to let it go this far? Is that some kind of "point of pride" that you have, to try and get "the most" out of your oil?

New oil added giving you skewed numbers, an OLM at 0%, severe daily driving, racing at the drag strip, now with a CAI....I don't think we need Stephen Hawking to figure this one out
whistle.gif

Listen, it's your car, you treat it any way you want to. But if I owned this car, it would get more frequent oil changes than you're giving it.

Gives me confidence in possibly running this oil for 7.5K in my little Mazda. Thanks, Patman. I'd keep doing what you're doing. You're treating this car well.

To me, Iron seems a little high considering 14% new oil was added during the OCI. Also, the oil has thickened somewhat considering the added oil, maybe volatility as this engine probably gets rather warm.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Well, neglect is such an ugly word....but that's one way to put it. Let's just say that you're not doing this car any favors with this maintenance schedule.

I'll say it again, you're not giving yourself any "wiggle room" on your oil changes. Why do you feel the need to let it go this far? Is that some kind of "point of pride" that you have, to try and get "the most" out of your oil?

New oil added giving you skewed numbers, an OLM at 0%, severe daily driving, racing at the drag strip, now with a CAI....I don't think we need Stephen Hawking to figure this one out
whistle.gif

Listen, it's your car, you treat it any way you want to. But if I owned this car, it would get more frequent oil changes than you're giving it.

And the engine wouldn't last any longer than mine is going to.

I just don't see what values in this report are making people think this oil has been pushed too far. Honestly.

It's not a matter of pride, the fact that the oil life monitor always seems to coincide with my favorite two months to change the oil works out perfectly for me. And I've got tons of oil analysis reports that prove that what I'm doing is working perfectly. Adding one more oil change per year is not going to extend the life of this engine, it'll only cost me more money for no benefits. It's not like I'm pushing this oil to 20,000 miles here, it's a 7200 mile interval! A lot of car makers recommend that kind of interval on a conventional oil, and I'm using one of the best synthetics out there, and I've got a large 7 quart capacity in this engine. I'm confident that what I'm doing is right and is not neglecting this engine in any way.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
Report looks very good. Is this the 1st PP run?

Nope, this is the 3rd or 4th interval with PP.

Looks good, Patman! I agree that you take great care of you 'Vette! However, I'm wondering if you're concerned about the uptick in aluminum...7 seems pretty high, in most analyses it stays below about 4 or 5....

Did you re-fill with more PP, or have you run out...? Were you able to grab any of the 4.4l jugs when Wal-Mart had them on sale for $18.47 a couple of months ago? that was a heck of a deal!

Quote:

whistle.gif

Where do you get neglect from this report? I see nothing to be alarmed about. Most labs would flag wear metals as being LOW for this report. One qt of makeup oil is low considering the driving conditions. Some LS1's consume a lot more oil. Especially with M1 5w30.

Oxidation is a tad high but I'm not sure what the virgin # is for this oil.

M1 0w-40 would be another option if you did decide to switch oils but I see no reason too at this point.

Patman - I've got 20 quarts of PP 5w30 in my basement for use in my wife's subie for 3750 mile OIs (warranty thing). So please believe I'm a fan of PP 5w30 :)

That being said, I'd recommend switching to a different synthetic. Mobil One 0w40, Castrol 0w30 (GC), Redline 5w40....maybe AMSOIL SSO 0w30 if you want to extend even further (maybe to one year?).

Here's my thinking....you oil analyses are great. Your consumption is increasing though. 1 quart every 3600 miles? Seems high for an LS1, especially one properly treated like yours and showing such great wear numbers.

Seems like as more PP is running through your system, flushing out old oil, your consumption is increasing.

You live in the great white north. So I'd stick with a 0w or 5w quality synthetic year round. And the oils I named tend to be very stable or upper-end w30 viscosity, or with Mobil One a 0w40 which has a history of safely shearing to a solid w30 viscosity. In other words, these oils tend to be a bit thicker at operating temp. I believe all are also Group IV basestocks, vs. PP Group III.

Mobil 1 0w40 can be had for around $5 a quart with oil filter during the sales of $30 for 5 quarts of Mobil One and a PureOne oil filter. Redline's a tad more expensive. GC is harder to come by. AMSOIL I wouldn't do unless you were extending the intervals even more.

Those are my thoughts....I'm a tinkerer though. You've got a good combo....stick with it or play around :)

Joe

Patman,
Werent you all for dino for 5k before? What did synthetic get you more? except for couple thousand miles that too with 8 quarts of it.. Just askin. Is GTX for 5k a better option than PP for 7k?

Originally Posted By: Seth
Patman,
Werent you all for dino for 5k before? What did synthetic get you more? except for couple thousand miles that too with 8 quarts of it.. Just askin. Is GTX for 5k a better option than PP for 7k?

If I may be so bold as to speak on behalf of Patman... Not in a Vette that specs. synthetic from the factory. Also, Patman has never used conventional oil in has Corvette. For those nubes here, Patman is one of those early members who sacrificed his multiple cars to the study of GC. I doubt you will find a car on this forum that has better UOA trending data on it.

Seth,

You're getting Patman's wife's Honda Civic mixed-up with his Corvette. In THAT car, he does believe 5k miles on dino is the ticket. His latest UOA on that car is a couple of pages before this one....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Looks good, Patman! I agree that you take great care of you 'Vette! However, I'm wondering if you're concerned about the uptick in aluminum...7 seems pretty high, in most analyses it stays below about 4 or 5....

Did you re-fill with more PP, or have you run out...? Were you able to grab any of the 4.4l jugs when Wal-Mart had them on sale for $18.47 a couple of months ago? that was a heck of a deal!

I'm not too concerned with the aluminum considering how hard I drove it, and it's not a huge increase compared to usual.

I did refill with PP, I still had one last jug that I bought last year at 18.47 at Walmart's anniversary sale, and I also bought one of the 4.4L jugs recently that were on for $19.99 so I'll use that one in the spring.

Originally Posted By: buster

Oxidation is a tad high but I'm not sure what the virgin # is for this oil.

Keep in mind that with Wearcheck, the oxidation is not a percentage. Terry has speculated in the past that it could be a number out of 200, so an oxidation # of 70 might really only be 35%.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I'm not too concerned with the aluminum considering how hard I drove it, and it's not a huge increase compared to usual.

I did refill with PP, I still had one last jug that I bought last year at 18.47 at Walmart's anniversary sale, and I also bought one of the 4.4L jugs recently that were on for $19.99 so I'll use that one in the spring.

Sounds good - I did mean the 4.4 liter jugs that were on for $19.98 just a couple of months ago...I guess those two jugs, put together, make just enough for an oil change (7L) and the top-off (1.5L)!

Just funny to see that, when 1 4L jug would be a full OC for my Cavalier!!! :p

Originally Posted By: Yuk
Originally Posted By: Seth
Patman,

If I may be so bold as to speak on behalf of Patman... Not in a Vette that specs. synthetic from the factory. Also, Patman has never used conventional oil in has Corvette. For those nubes here, Patman is one of those early members who sacrificed his multiple cars to the study of GC. I doubt you will find a car on this forum that has better UOA trending data on it.

Will the corvette engine explode or melt if synthetic is not used? Arent there many corvettes out there with 200k run solely on dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back