SuperTech vs. ValuCraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have been shopping around building my supplies. You guys have been rubbing off on me and it now seems logical to shop the sales.

According to the resources of this forum they are both the same thing, S.T. and V.C. filters

Why then are ValuCraft $0.20 cheaper at the AutoZone down the street from me than the SuperTech at ChinaMart?

Is there really 2 dimes worth of difference? If I use either, is my engine going to blow up like something out of a James Bond movie? Am I missing something?

I was planning on stocking up a little and doing a Auto RX treatment. Are they acceptable for this?

Thanks...

I've used both and my car is still alive and well. Either will be fine for a reasonable oci. Autozone and Wally world are not related so you can't really compare the prices of the store branded items.

I think the best store branded oil filter deal were the Total Grips from Advance Auto when they were BOGO.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I've used both and my car is still alive and well. Either will be fine for a reasonable oci. Autozone and Wally world are not related so you can't really compare the prices of the store branded items.

I think the best store branded oil filter deal were the Total Grips from Advance Auto when they were BOGO.

I really like the ProLine filters from Pep Boys, they're basically the same as the Total Grip filters without the grip
thumbsup2.gif

The ValueCraft oil filter line is comparable to what's typically used at quick lubes. Meets OEM spec's, but not by much. You'd be better off with either a SuperTech or a STP.

As I understood it, both are Champ Labs and both have the E-core in some of their models. Both use nitrile ADBV, both have the same 'clicker' type spring.We can assume that both use the cheapest filter media offered by the manufacturer, which is the same, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but that was my rationale.

EDIT: Also: both are better than Fram. Millions of people use fram filters for the life of their vehicle without issue, so let the cheapest filter win.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to run a fleet of identical make and model vehicles, one half with the cheapo brand of filters, the other half with Mobile 1 or Napa Gold. Identical brands of filters and regular OCI's with OCI analysis.

The OCI analysis would tell more than tearing apart the engines and looking at them, but then again I would never do a 15,000 mile OCI on a $2.49 filter.

Knowing my luck after everything was tested the only thing left of the vehicles would probably be their engines.

The only difference between the two is the color. You pay the extra .20 for the black paint.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is Azone selling the ValueCraft filters again?

They've never stopped. They are just kept in the back; sold mainly to commercial accounts.

2-3 dollars?! The ProSelect for my car and my mom's car is around $2.60 IIRC, the SuperTech is $2.44 and I have no idea on the ValuCraft because I've never purchased one. The ProLines at Pep Boys are under $3 as well, they're all good filters for the price. Still partial to the ProLine
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
2-3 dollars?! The ProSelect for my car and my mom's car is around $2.60 IIRC, the SuperTech is $2.44 and I have no idea on the ValuCraft because I've never purchased one. The ProLines at Pep Boys are under $3 as well, they're all good filters for the price. Still partial to the ProLine
thumbsup2.gif

Refresh my memory...are ProLines Purolators or Champs?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
thumbsup2.gif

With tax the Proselect for my Caddy is almost four bucks. The same Valuecraft is 1.70 the last time I bought one. There's a reason NAPA looks like a ghost town next to Advance and Autozone.

Originally Posted By: globey

They've never stopped. They are just kept in the back; sold mainly to commercial accounts.
I have a commercial account with AZ and have not seen the VC filters on my walk to the Comm acct desk.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
With tax the Proselect for my Caddy is almost four bucks.

Wow. Three dollars and some change for a filter going on a Cadillac, that's made by Wix.

Did you have to make a special trip to the ATM for that three dollars and change?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: globey

I have a commercial account with AZ and have not seen the VC filters on my walk to the Comm acct desk.

They are across from the engine management aisle. They are located where the Eiko bulbs, cards of battery terminals and Loc-tite.

They are there, trust me.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: kingrob
With tax the Proselect for my Caddy is almost four bucks.

Wow. Three dollars and some change for a filter going on a Cadillac, that's made by Wix.

Did you have to make a special trip to the ATM for that three dollars and change?
21.gif

I don't think that was the point. Someone asked him a comparative price and he gave an example on his application. He's wasn't complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back