Do we really care about Speed Ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For basic cars with mid sized profiles, does it really matter if we run H or greater if we are not attaining top speed? In hottter climate, maybe we see higher tire temps, but as long as Load Rating is met, does it really matter?

Shure, low-profile tires gernerally come as V and Z, with there not being a S option in that size, but handling aside, a well-built S tire like Yoko TRZ can work on a car calling for H. My friend has an old Jag and pays a ton for V-Z rated tires, when I tell him H is fine. Should we discuss this?

"Should we discuss this? "

Sure we should. I got stuck putting V rated tires on a Camry because of the trim package. Posted the story and got a lot of good responses, seems like the tire dealerships are in cahoot. Or their successful attorneys mandate them to match the OEM tires.
Hard to reason why a standard Camry gets a T rated tire, but the Deluxe gets a V with the same suspension and engine. Wheels were different, don't know if that affects.
I'm sure there are a lot of similar stories, and "discussing this" gives ideas and ways to eliminate the problem. Or at least a way to circumvent it.

Speed rating affects the handling dramatically on some tires. I remember in the early 90's putting R rated? S rated? toyo tires on a saab once and it rode like some big buick or something. Completely changed the personality of the car. Went back to H immediately and it drove like a saab again.

For any European car or car that handles well I now always err to the side of too high a speed rating instead of too low. For the Jag, it just depends on what kind of feel he likes for the car but I agree H is probably fine from a safety standpoint.

BTW, you don't have to pay more for higher speed rating if you are careful. You can get nexen tires f.e. for very cheap and they are great tires. I love Michelin but at $266 per tire I went with the $90/tire nexen N7000s instead and they are great.

That's the thing, new Touring" tires handle quite well. Well enough for say, a bigger Beamer or teh Jag.

The speed ratings are just a way to get more dollars from Mr Consumer.
And most likely a way to get out of paying lawsuits.
My theory is it's just as easy to get a puncture in a $200 tire as a $50 one,but I've never bought a $200 tire.
:)

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Let's put it like this:

There are tire experts testifying in court that the construction of an H rated tire prevents tread separations.

Yes, but so does driving at reasonable speeds with properly inflated tires. Besides, a tread separation isn't even a dramatic event in terms of your ability to control the vehicle.

But I've recently converted to one who is willing to pay the extra for an H-rated or higher tire to get the improved safety and handling. I was quite shocked at how mushy the handling is on my girlfriend's MX-6 with cheap S-rated tires compared to cheap H-rated tires. I'd still buy Q, S, and T rated winter tires though, as there aren't too many serious winter tires rated higher than that and the tread is already mushy, but I'd also pay extra to get an H speed rating where available.

Going from S or T to H or V doesn't really add much manufacturing cost to a specific tire anyway, so maybe they should just make them all H-rated or higher and give everyone the handling and safety benefits. On Tirerack, in 205/55R16, the BFG Traction T/A is $78 for T, $88 for H, and $91 for V. Considering the H and V versions have a AA traction rating compared to the A on the T, there's really no reason for even making the T-rated version. It has a higher treadwear rating, but anything over 400 is plenty.

Down here, it is illegal to put a lower rated tyre than that which it came from the factory with, even 'though it's illegal to do more than 110km/hr.

You CAN install lower rated tyres on the proviso that there's a big green warning sticker in clear view of the driver, warning them that lower rated tyres are fitted.

I wouldn't want to be the owner of a vehicle like that in an insurance claim 'though.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Down here, it is illegal to put a lower rated tyre than that which it came from the factory with, even 'though it's illegal to do more than 110km/hr.

If an S-rated tire is illegal for some, it should be illegal for all. The government should value the safety of those who can only afford a used car that originally came with S-rated tires just as much as those who bought a new car with V-rated tires.

I also bought Nexen N2000. V rated for my Focus...best tires I have had on any car! But the problem with the speed rating is most shops are by the book I am sure I could use a regular Uniroyal tire without a V rating and it would be fine. I think its close to impossible to suffer a blow out from speed and heat unless you are in a ultra high performance car.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

You CAN install lower rated tyres on the proviso that there's a big green warning sticker in clear view of the driver, warning them that lower rated tyres are fitted.

I wouldn't want to be the owner of a vehicle like that in an insurance claim 'though.

my camry made at altona, vic, came with V rated tyres. Door plaque says H rating is OK. I think the door plaque takes precedence over what it came with from the factory.

Let's put it like this:

There are tire experts testifying in court that the construction of an H rated tire prevents tread separations.

Comments?

Duh. Full nylon cap plies typically start with H speed-rated tires. Supposedly resists tread separation in case of blowout and don't they also help tires run cooler?

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Let's put it like this:

Comments?

Duh. Full nylon cap plies typically start with H speed-rated tires. Supposedly resists tread separation in case of blowout and don't they also help tires run cooler?

What they really do is 2 fold:

1) They provide constriction to reduce circumferential growth due to centriugal forces.

2) They add structure to reduced the standing wave that gets generated. I think it is here where the "cooler running" part comes in, but I think that is not a primary effect, it's a result of something else.

As alluded to by rpn453, moderate speeds and proper inflation pressure help REDUCE the probability of a tread separation - and as Audi Junkie said, temperature plays a role here.

(As a side note - I try to be very precise in my language when I talk about tire failures - and the term "blowout" is used when the tire loses air rapidly, which is quite different than the common "belt leaving belt" separation. Most "belt leaving belt" separations - commonly referred to as "tread" separations" - do not result from - or result in - a loss of inflation pressure.)

But allow me to throw some things on the table for discussion.

1) We know that the test for a speed rating is done in a 70F temperature room, and the tire has to remain intact for one hour at the rated load and rated pressure at the speed indicated.

2) There is a study (I'll have to dig this out!) that shows that if the test is done at a lower inflation pressure and a correspondingly lower load, the tire will fail as much as 2 steps lower. In other words, a tire rated for a "S" rating (112 mph could actually only be capable of a "Q" rating (99 mph).

3) There is also a study somewhere that shows that temperature has an effect on the speed rating - again a 2 step drop was indicated. So while this might not be important if you live in PA, the folks in AZ better pay attention.

3) And a 3rd study shows that tire age causes speed rating degradation - again as much as 2 steps (which how I remember all this) Again, this is more important in hot weather states.

So while I am sure that you can't actually get a drop of 6 steps, it is certainly is reasonable to assume that it is a significant drop. Just a reminder - the difference between an "S" rating (112 mph) and an "L" rating (75 mph) is only 6 steps.

Given that belt overlays (commonly referred to as "cap plies") sigificantly reduce the failure rate of tires - and that a belt overlay is very nearly required to pass an H speed rating, I think it is just good sense to use H speed rated tires at a minimum.

OK, I'm sure there's a lot to discuss in this post .......

Last edited:
Let's put it like this:

Comments?

What they really do is 2 fold:

1) They provide constriction to reduce circumferential growth due to centriugal forces.

2) They add structure to reduced the standing wave that gets generated. I think it is here where the "cooler running" part comes in, but I think that is not a primary effect, it's a result of something else.

As alluded to by rpn453, moderate speeds and proper inflation pressure help REDUCE the probability of a tread separation - and as Audi Junkie said, temperature plays a role here.

(As a side note - I try to be very precise in my language when I talk about tire failures - and the term "blowout" is used when the tire loses air rapidly, which is quite different than the common "belt leaving belt" separation. Most "belt leaving belt" separations - commonly referred to as "tread" separations" - do not result from - or result in - a loss of inflation pressure.)

But allow me to throw some things on the table for discussion.

1) We know that the test for a speed rating is done in a 70F temperature room, and the tire has to remain intact for one hour at the rated load and rated pressure at the speed indicated.

2) There is a study (I'll have to dig this out!) that shows that if the test is done at a lower inflation pressure and a correspondingly lower load, the tire will fail as much as 2 steps lower. In other words, a tire rated for a "S" rating (112 mph could actually only be capable of a "Q" rating (99 mph).

3) There is also a study somewhere that shows that temperature has an effect on the speed rating - again a 2 step drop was indicated. So while this might not be important if you live in PA, the folks in AZ better pay attention.

3) And a 3rd study shows that tire age causes speed rating degradation - again as much as 2 steps (which how I remember all this) Again, this is more important in hot weather states.

So while I am sure that you can't actually get a drop of 6 steps, it is certainly is reasonable to assume that it is a significant drop. Just a reminder - the difference between an "S" rating (112 mph) and an "L" rating (75 mph) is only 6 steps.

Given that belt overlays (commonly referred to as "cap plies") sigificantly reduce the failure rate of tires - and that a belt overlay is very nearly required to pass an H speed rating, I think it is just good sense to use H speed rated tires at a minimum.

OK, I'm sure there's a lot to discuss in this post .......

I did get it correct about the nylon cap, right?

Also - would the effective speed-rating degradation have a linear contribution from those factors? I'm thinking maybe if all three of those factors are in play, maybe the total contribution is maybe an effective 3 or 4 step drop and not 6?

I know in my field sometimes we test with two or three factors together that would each result in a particular degredation in performance, but the combined degradation isn't necessarily linearly cumulative when all the factors are present at the same time.

I did get it correct about the nylon cap, right?

If you mean that H rated tires usually have a cap ply - yes.
S rated tires generally have no tread area reinforcement.
T rated tires generally have strips over the belt edges.
H rated tires generally have a full overlay
V rated tires generally have 2 full overlays
and higher speed ratings generally have a triple layer at the belt edge with 2 full overlays and maybe an additional layer at the center.

Also - would the effective speed-rating degradation have a linear contribution from those factors? I'm thinking maybe if all three of those factors are in play, maybe the total contribution is maybe an effective 3 or 4 step drop and not 6?

I know in my field sometimes we test with two or three factors together that would each result in a particular degredation in performance, but the combined degradation isn't necessarily linearly cumulative when all the factors are present at the same time.

I don't have enough information to be able to say, but like you, my gut says that a full 6 steps is not likely the end result.

EXCEPT that we know that rubber degrades more or less completely and many years down the road the tire is useless from a load carrying point of view.

T rated tires generally have strips over the belt edges.
H rated tires generally have a full overlay
V rated tires generally have 2 full overlays
and higher speed ratings generally have a triple layer at the belt edge with 2 full overlays and maybe an additional layer at the center.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Does a lot of this depend on size?

The 225/60R16 Michelin X Radials I purchased a few years ago had no fewer than 5 tread plies. 2 polyester, 2 steel, and 1 polyamide. Sidewall was the 2 polyester plies. And their service description was 97S.

Most S-rated tires have only 3 tread plies -- 2 steel and 1 polyester. But those 225/60R16 Michelins seemed to be exceptionally sturdy tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back