Complete Fuel System Cleaner Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just wondering why most of the complete fuel system cleaner comes with advise of use every 3000 miles and some warns not to use more than 2-3 times before oil change.

At the beginning I thought the PEA will dilute the engine oil and render the engine oil additive useless, but interestingly the Redline SI-I mentioned it is safe for continuous use.

Is the warning specified because of the kerosene used as the carrier ?
Any idea? Thank you !

Last edited:
Red Line SI-1 is good for continuous use if you use the maintenance dose of it (a small amount per tank). The cleaning dose is much higher, as it is for most cleaners (e.g. half a bottle of SI-1, a whole bottle of Techron, etc.).

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

Is the warning specified because of the kerosene used as the carrier ?
Any idea? Thank you !

I would believe that is the case. PEA is a DETERGENT and will not dillute the gasoline in any way. Kero on the otherhand acts like a solvent in a fuel system designed to use gasoline, I would think the warning is due to the fact that the kero could have a damaging effect on the rubber/ plastic seals that are used in a gas engine . I would be more concerned about damage to the rubber or plastic seals or lines in the fuel system than oil dillution issues.

I think you can use a fuel system cleaner with kero occasionally (every year or so) without causing any damage whatsoever.

Is there a reason that PEA isn't sold in 100% pure form? Once added to gasoline does it still need that carrier to hold it in suspension within the mix?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Is there a reason that PEA isn't sold in 100% pure form? Once added to gasoline does it still need that carrier to hold it in suspension within the mix?

Probably because the $$$ per ounce is ridiculous.
crazy2.gif

Redline has the highest concentration of PEA at 30-50%. Amsoil PI is 27-36%. Current Techron and Regane MSDS sheets now show they use NO PEA.

I'd have to conclude that Redline is the best fuel additive you can bug as it's likely the strongest, but also has upper cylinder lubricants.

The MSDS being changed doesn't mean that the product has been as well.

I've noticed that Regane has a very distinct smell that is likely the PEA, so it wouldn't be hard to tell if it's still in there.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Redline has the highest concentration of PEA at 30-50%. Amsoil PI is 27-36%. Current Techron and Regane MSDS sheets now show they use NO PEA.

I'd have to conclude that Redline is the best fuel additive you can bug as it's likely the strongest, but also has upper cylinder lubricants.

Where does the Shell V-Power fit into this equation? I still cannot find out if it even has PEA in it.

Does anyone know about the V?

Because it's becoming common practice for manufacturers to hide the most important ingredients on their MSDS. Johnny also asked his contacts and they said the Regane formula has not changed.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Where does the Shell V-Power fit into this equation? I still cannot find out if it even has PEA in it.

Chemical Identity CAS No. Concentration
Naphthalene 91-20-3 >= 0.10 - < 1.00 %
Distillate (petroleum), light 64741-77-1 45.00 - 55.00 %
hydrocracked
Distillates (petroleum), 64741-86-2 15.00 - 25.00 %
sweetened middle
Tallow alkyl amine 61791-44-4 1.00 - 5.00 %
Naphthalene 91-20-3 < 1.00 %

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Chemical Identity CAS No. Concentration
Naphthalene 91-20-3 >= 0.10 - < 1.00 %
Distillate (petroleum), light 64741-77-1 45.00 - 55.00 %
hydrocracked
Distillates (petroleum), 64741-86-2 15.00 - 25.00 %
sweetened middle
Tallow alkyl amine 61791-44-4 1.00 - 5.00 %
Naphthalene 91-20-3 < 1.00 %

Thanks man!

A email I received from Sopus stated that there was no formula change of the Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

Still wonder what they're trying to hide from who regarding the new MSDS, considering the formula has been out for years "un-hidden"

Drew

Actually Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner has 40-60% PEA so it is the leader in containing this superior detergent.

Redline has no advantage over the Regane actually it has less of the PEA in its product.

Originally Posted By: Westerly
Actually Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner has 40-60% PEA so it is the leader in containing this superior detergent.

Redline has no advantage over the Regane actually it has less of the PEA in its product.

Where did you see that? I remember reading on here that it used to be 30-40% PEA in Regane.

It's important to remember MSDS's aren't "ingredient lists." They are there to list the potentially hazardous/harmful components of a product. They are mandated by federal law and it is in the company's best interest from a legal and liability standpoint to list everything with a potentially hazardous effect for the sake of occupational safety and well as first responder/hazmat safety. True, things can be hidden to a degree, but if they are hidden to the point that the hazard itself is unclear, then the law is violated. If a chemical's physical properties distinguish it from a more broad category, it must be identified with a CAS number.

So which is it? Does Regane or Redline have more PEA's in it? Or does Regane have none? I just put a bottle of Regane in my tank. I was at Walmart and picked a bottle up on a whim. I'd hate to think I wasted my money on it. We need some resolution on this one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back