Cobalt XFE (Thread-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be interested to see some real world FE figured on this car. Essentially the same ratings as the Civic and Corolla but with more torque and higher gearing. Sounds good to me.

All LS and 1LT five speed manual transmission models ordered on or before March 17th will receive the fuel sipping changes
WHAT ABOUT AFTER MARCH 17 WHY ONLY UNTIL THEN

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
Originally Posted By: wapacz
this was already posted.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1139760#Post1139760

Well I figured it was, I guess we can talk about it a second time.

Sure we can. While there are those who take a pretty rigid view of rehashing issues, and yes, there are limits, I don't see a problem here. First off, we have a very large membership, and some duplication is going to happen (though we do encourage generous use of the search feature...). Also, this is a good timely subject. GM has introduced an interesting car, and it's worthy of discussion. Have at it.

Now here's my thought on the topic. The Cobalts have struck me as somewhat odd since they replaced the Cavalier. They're nice little cars (I've had one as a rental), and would seem to be a fine competitor in their segment. But I could never understand why they always lagged way behind the competition in fuel economy. The pre-XFE Cobalts FE numbers were pretty much the same as those for the Camry and Altima (I-4 versions, of course), which made me think, gee, either buy a competitor if fuel econ is your big issue, or just get a base Camry or Altima instead and enjoy a larger car. Now suddenly the XFE appears, making it clear that GM could have done this, easily, all along. So on one hand, good for GM; on the other, why didn't they just do it in the first place???
54.gif

I researched the corolla civic and cobalt the other day and liked the cobalts hp and tq but they have no power windows and Im spoiled on those so I'd go with the civic EX since it has the coupe option, has more hp with the same or better mileage as the corolla, a better suspension than the corolla, the coupe and sedan both weigh less than the corolla, and it has better interior quality than the corolla.

What I dont like about the civic is the high dash for less visibility up front, and the more costly 16" wheels and tires on the EX. The LX would be fine with its 15" wheels if they didnt have the painted driver mirror and the black passenger mirror which is ridiculous. The 197hp civic SI would be fun and you can still get 30mpg with it but sticker is $21k.

Its probably just me being use to forums where thread on stuff that have already been posted are locked and have a link pointing to the old thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Now here's my thought on the topic. The Cobalts have struck me as somewhat odd since they replaced the Cavalier. They're nice little cars (I've had one as a rental), and would seem to be a fine competitor in their segment. But I could never understand why they always lagged way behind the competition in fuel economy. The pre-XFE Cobalts FE numbers were pretty much the same as those for the Camry and Altima (I-4 versions, of course), which made me think, gee, either buy a competitor if fuel econ is your big issue, or just get a base Camry or Altima instead and enjoy a larger car. Now suddenly the XFE appears, making it clear that GM could have done this, easily, all along. So on one hand, good for GM; on the other, why didn't they just do it in the first place???
54.gif

GM always seems to trade fuel economy for a car that has a little more torquey feel. Which was nice when gas was below 3 dollars a gallon but now people are looking more for that extra few miles a gallon.

Does that Si require premium fuel?

My dealings with Ecotec engines have found them to be durable, but not the greatest on fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical

My dealings with Ecotec engines have found them to be durable, but not the greatest on fuel economy.

Yes, it does require premium fuel. And get this -- 5w-30 oil! I guess you could call the Civic Si a car where the modern and retro combine together into one...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: MrCritical

Yes, it does require premium fuel.

Yes I forgot to mention that, which is another reason I'd get the EX that runs on regular at 140hp. Preferably the 2500lb 2dr coupe if the insurance wouldnt be too much more expensive than the 2600lb 4dr sedan.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
put a hybrid system in the cobalt, 50mpg..GM I would buy it!

If GM smartened up and put a diesel ecotec into the cobalt I'd buy it. We were supposed to get a diesel astra but who knows?

I'd like to know more of the specifics to the magical fuel sipping properties to the Cobalt XFE. Low rolling resistance tires? They must be pumped up to 45psig! I do enjoy my Cobalt enough that I would buy another. Currently averaging 31mpg per tank running 5w20. (2007, 2.2L, auto).

Joel

Originally Posted By: rationull
The Civic EX coupe is a little heavier than that. The curb weight is listed at 2695 lbs. I think only the DX is really close to 2500 lbs.

Oh ok. I read that off a review site not honda so it appears that some of their info is a little off.

Originally Posted By: leftlane
I researched the corolla civic and cobalt the other day and liked the cobalts hp and tq but they have no power windows and Im spoiled on those so I'd go with the civic EX since it has the coupe option, has more hp with the same or better mileage as the corolla, a better suspension than the corolla, the coupe and sedan both weigh less than the corolla, and it has better interior quality than the corolla.

What I dont like about the civic is the high dash for less visibility up front, and the more costly 16" wheels and tires on the EX. The LX would be fine with its 15" wheels if they didnt have the painted driver mirror and the black passenger mirror which is ridiculous. The 197hp civic SI would be fun and you can still get 30mpg with it but sticker is $21k.

Any particular reason you didnt look at the Focus or Mazda3i? Both should be cheaper than a civic, great gas mileage, and more fun to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back