Where do you get your cabin filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dam the prices of cabin filters! Just changed mine. New Puralator cabin filter at AAP costed $25.88 for my 02 Civic! That's higher than air filter at $10.88 and will only last for about 6 months. Where do you get your cabin filters and how much they cost you?

Thanks, I heard about this site but never visited it. I checked your link and they do have good selection of cabin filters that are cheaper than I paid, although I don't know how much shipping cost. Some of those filters I can get localy, but didn't want to drive to Autozone and Napa. AAP is very close to me and open late, so it's most convinient to shop there and I needed it right away, so I had no choice at that moment. Well the filter is in now, so I guess I'm gonna bite the bullet this time, but will definetley shop around in advance next time. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: oilnoob425
Dam the prices of cabin filters! Just changed mine. New Puralator cabin filter at AAP costed $25.88 for my 02 Civic! That's higher than air filter at $10.88 and will only last for about 6 months. Where do you get your cabin filters and how much they cost you?

Somebody who used to post here and is no longer around suggested a couple of years ago that you buy a 3M Filtrete furnace filter and cut a new one. These are about the same thickness as the factory filters, are pleated, and have a plastic mesh to retain their shape.

I've done it on a number of brands of cars and so far it works great. My filters work out to about $3 each.

I made my last ones Rolfs idea. I found a cut to fit filter @ Lowes that came with a plastic grid and had a thin layer of activated charcoal on one side. It cost me $9 and I got 6 filters from it. Cheap replacements run about $14 for my car, and the local dealers get around $27 for the OEM.

Regarding the cost of cabin air fitlers.

Air filters are made of paper, not very technical, made to fit and filter dust and dirt.

Cabin air fitlers are usually made of a non-wovens material and fitler down to the mold, bacteria, and pollen level. They are also water resistant and some are electrostaticly charged.

I am not an expert, but I did read the back of a micronAir cabin air fitler box.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
The Contour guys make their own from bulk filter material at Lowes. I need to pull my filter and see for myself.

I make my own for my Scion xB.

I bought a filter at walmart for $8-$12 or whatever it was, and was able to make 6+ filters out of it. Dealer wants like $50 for one... It does it's job though VERY well. I replace it every other oil change or so (just because its so cheap) and the filter is quite dirty with bugs and other random [censored] by the time I change it. Plus, my car has VERY slow dust build-up, which is nice...

Make your own! Save a lot of money that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rsmky
..... Cabin air fitlers are usually made of a non-wovens material and fitler down to the mold, bacteria, and pollen level. They are also water resistant and some are electrostaticly charged. ....

The 3M Filtrete furnace filters are non-woven and filter down to the mold, bacteria, and pollen level. And they are electrostaticly charged.

Originally Posted By: xBa380
I make my own for my Scion xB.

I bought a filter at walmart for $8-$12 or whatever it was, and was able to make 6+ filters out of it. Dealer wants like $50 for one... It does it's job though VERY well. I replace it every other oil change or so (just because its so cheap) and the filter is quite dirty with bugs and other random [censored] by the time I change it. Plus, my car has VERY slow dust build-up, which is nice...

Make your own! Save a lot of money that way.

I cut a furnace filter with sheet metal cutters. Used scotch tape to seal sides. But its never a perfect fit. So I went back to the original filter. I would like to know how you made your filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
I cut a furnace filter with sheet metal cutters. Used scotch tape to seal sides. But its never a perfect fit. So I went back to the original filter. I would like to know how you made your filter.

It depends on how the OEM filter was made.

In my wife's Camry it is nothing more than a rectangle and if you cut it just a mite (1/16 inch) oversize, it seals when you slide it in without any gaskets.

On my Hyundai the OEM filter has a plastic front and seals on the sides. I simply cut the OEM filter material out with a sharp knife leaving the sides, front, and back intact and cut a filter to fit the space.

Since the 3M Filtrete I am using is rigid and braced top and bottom, a simple loop of 20# test monofilament around it locked the newly cut rectangle into place with no problem.

I suppose there are some OEM filters that are really unusual shapes or designs that could be a bear to work with, but so far I haven't had any problems.

I buy my Cabin Air filters from Amazon. Purolator Brand goes on sale quite often. Last price paid was $4.50 a piece.

I track favorite items with Firefox and the Pricedrop extension.

Originally Posted By: Lost Pup
I buy my Cabin Air filters from Amazon. Purolator Brand goes on sale quite often. Last price paid was $4.50 a piece.

I track favorite items with Firefox and the Pricedrop extension.

How much your Purolator cabin filter would have costed you at the auto store? I mean $4.50 a piece is quite a stretch from $25.88 I paid for mine. What car you got?

From the dealership, my cabin filter costs about $33. I purchased a micronAir filter for about $11 on ebay... not sure if one is available for your '03 Civic. PM me if you want the name of the eBay store where I purchased it.

A/C filters are nowhere near as important as engine air filters, so I don't care if I get what I paid for. But as far as I can tell, this cheaper filter is identical to the OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back