Where do you get your cabin filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ford F150
Here it is a $10 + at Amazon

It is $20 - $25 at local retail.

Originally Posted By: oilnoob425
Originally Posted By: Lost Pup
I buy my Cabin Air filters from Amazon. Purolator Brand goes on sale quite often. Last price paid was $4.50 a piece.

I track favorite items with Firefox and the Pricedrop extension.

How much your Purolator cabin filter would have costed you at the auto store? I mean $4.50 a piece is quite a stretch from $25.88 I paid for mine. What car you got?

For me, I get the Filtrate air conditioner filter at Walmart, (the one with the highest filter efficiency)

I took out my OEM filter, used a sharpie to outline the dimensions on the big filter, and cut out the filters with scissors.

To install I just "flare" out the width (to ensure the best fit possible, since mine doesn't have a tray I can tape to ensure a seal), and just slide it in there.

Always becomes discolored very quickly and fills up with dirt, which is why I change it out quite often. But for the cheap price of making your own, its worth the little work to make them!

Originally Posted By: xBa380
I make my own for my Scion xB.

I bought a filter at walmart for $8-$12 or whatever it was, and was able to make 6+ filters out of it. Dealer wants like $50 for one... It does it's job though VERY well. I replace it every other oil change or so (just because its so cheap) and the filter is quite dirty with bugs and other random [censored] by the time I change it. Plus, my car has VERY slow dust build-up, which is nice...

Make your own! Save a lot of money that way.

Another xB owner here.

Heres a link to the DIY: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20753

I buy a brand that comes with a plastic grid on the top and bottom (good for holding the filter "sandwich" together), then filter material, charcoal filter and more filter material on top. Works like a champ and the charcoal helps eliminate ododrs as well. Almost eliminates any dust coming from the vents.

I found the furnace filter on clearance for under $3, so I bought 5 filters, and each package gets me about 6 filters.

In my 03 Buick, I had always used Purolators. They were around $14. However, I've never been that impressed with them. They are slightly too small for the "basket" the filter sets in. They also lack any kind of additional foam strip around the edges to ensure a better fit.

I just picked up a Fram Fresh Breeze (activated charcoal and baking soda). It was manufactured to original spects as far as size and the foam surround was concerned. The media is also much denser than the Purolator. The best part is that at WalMart they are only $15 for my application.

This new line of cabin air filters may be something that Fram got right for once.

Last edited:
I buy my cabin filters (and all filters - oil, air, fuel, and trans) from filter1.com. I like the one-stop shopping, fair prices, no tax, and free delivery to my door. This way I don't have to drive to the Volvo dealership, Mercedes dealership (neither of which are convenient), and Murray's to get what I need.

Amazon.com is carrying the new Fram Fresh Breeze cabin air filters which have carbon and baking soda embedded in them to absorb odors. I got one for our Honda on sale for $13 which seemed like a good deal. I'm very pleased with the construction quality. Note that the "Wix" cabin air filters I purchased in the past are pretty clearly just a reboxing of generic filters from a third party supplier.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I buy my cabin filters (and all filters - oil, air, fuel, and trans) from filter1.com. I like the one-stop shopping, fair prices, no tax, and free delivery to my door. This way I don't have to drive to the Volvo dealership, Mercedes dealership (neither of which are convenient), and Murray's to get what I need.

They got free delivery all the time for everybody? Thanks I will check them out. I just bought some more cabin filters from Napa for Civic and Elantra. Cheaper than from dealer or AAP but still kinda pricey. Good quality though. Boy Howdy changing filters in Elantra is a pain! Civic is way easier.

Thanks to everybody for your useful input too!

Free delivery with filter1.com if your order is over $50.

Fleetfilter.com has cheaper product prices, but they charge for shipping and are limited with their product line - they don't carry everything I need. I would go with them if you have bulk purchases of the same product.

Thanks for the info but it's kinda too late now. LOL! Next time I need filters I will go online shopping first.

There are air filters that do a good job at removing dust, bugs and leaves. There are also the more expensive Hypoallergenic filters which have very small pore size that trap mold and very small allergens like goldenrod. People with asthma problems need the better filters. I think part of the additional cost is the lower production volume vs the engine filters. JMT ed

Last edited:
32.gif
People mistakenly blame goldenrod for allergies when it is really giant ragweed. The two bloom at the same time, plus it's easier to blame goldenrod when seeing the prolific yellow color during bloom, a color that reminds people of pollen.

I make my cabin air filters for $3 each. It takes half an hour to measure and cut the first one. I use bits of cotton to seal any leaks around the edges and where the a/c pipes go, though someone who uses the a/c a lot would want to use polyester pillow stuffing. The official Subaru air filter makes no attempt to seal the large holes around the edges, so about 5% of the air passes by unfiltered.

This 3M media does an excellent job during pollen season.

3167.jpg

Raising this thread from the dead!
Has anybody used the 3M Filtrete Ultimate Allergen Reduction Filter, 1900 MPR? I found some 14x25 on clearance for $6.12 a sheet. Since it is so cheap I like to use it in my cars. Just wondering if this is too restricted for cabin filter.

This size is too small for my furnace. Would've been nice. Furnace uses 16x25. Just missed by a few inches.

I just bought a pair of cabin air filters for my M5 from bavauto. They were a tick over $20.00 for the set. They were MANN and made in Germany.

I got 2 CAFs from Rockauto for my Mitsubishi. I got MANN filters and I think I paid $15 for each of them.

The MANN filters were made in the USA.

I'll be buying one soon from Napa. It looks like it has not only the filter, but the plastic frame it slides into. (From a search it looks like half may come this way). The seal on the frame in there now has deteriorated, so I'll just replace them both. Good enough for $16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back