Semi synthetic vs regular 2 cycle oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the insane prices of Mercury brand oil I will be using Pennzoil 2 cycle oil in my antique Mercury outboard this year mixed at 32:1. Pennzoil semi synthetic is $15/gallon, Pennzoil regular is $12/gallon. May not seem like much of a difference, but I will be burning a LOT of it, and the premium gas already hurts bad enough.

So my question is, what extra good is a semi synthetic in an outboard motor? Usually I consider synthetics better for cold starts and longer OCIs, but obviously that doesn't apply to a 2 stroke. Will the semi keep the engine cleaner? Less smoke? Or will I proably not notice a difference at all?

If you live near a Bass Pro shop they have the Mercury Premium Plus (which is the synthetic blend) on sale for about $15 from time to time. In the last 2 months I have picked up 6 gallons. Any good TCW3 oil will protect your engine just fine - especially at 32:1. I run the Mercury Premium Plus because it has less smoke and oder than anything else I have tried. Pennzoil also makes an oil for older outboards called XL I believe. You can get it at Wal-Mart. The XL has more additives and is about the same price as the synthetic blend. If I was going to use Pennzoil I would use the synthetic blend or the XL.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Due to the insane prices of Mercury brand oil I will be using Pennzoil 2 cycle oil in my antique Mercury outboard this year mixed at 32:1. Pennzoil semi synthetic is $15/gallon, Pennzoil regular is $12/gallon. May not seem like much of a difference, but I will be burning a LOT of it, and the premium gas already hurts bad enough.

So my question is, what extra good is a semi synthetic in an outboard motor? Usually I consider synthetics better for cold starts and longer OCIs, but obviously that doesn't apply to a 2 stroke. Will the semi keep the engine cleaner? Less smoke? Or will I proably not notice a difference at all?
Many years ago Trailer Boat Magazine did an article discussing among other things, using current oil in older engines. To the best of my memory this was the jest of the deal. Back in the 40's, and 50's the ratios were in the area of 16-1, 24-1, and 32-1. These ratios were with current technology 30w motor oil. They didn't even have a dedicated two cycle marine oil. At the time of the article I think that TCW-2 was the standard. Now I think we are still at tcw-3. I'm not up to date as I don't run outboards anymore. Anyhew, any of the older engines regardless of manufacturers recommended ratios can be run at a ratio of 50-1 due to todays oils being superior to what was available at the time of the engines manufacture. Trailer Boat magazine may be able to help you with a re-print. Perhaps you can find it free on the web with some searching. Phillips Injex is a low smoke high performance oil that is low smoke, and I think re-packages for OMC/Bombardier. I bought my Phillips at http://www.harveyoil.com Pennzoil Premium Plus may the the source for Mercury Premium Plus, and performs great as well. Remember that the marine engine manufacturers are just that, and they are not in the oil business. If you don't feel safe with the 50-1 run where you feel comfortable. A modern outboard with the carbs set up right, and a 50-1 ratio will usually only smoke when cold. A modern outboard will usually need the choke when the engine is cold. If it does not, you are probably too rich, stinky, will smoke, and probably add carbon to the combustion chamber. It has been my experience that the leaner you can set the mixture screws, the more crisp the throttle response will be. I hope this is of some help. I don 't think that you need a semi, but whatever makes you comfortable.

if you idle and troll the boat you might??? notice a difference in how clean the topend stays with semi or synthetic. Depends on the product and your pump mix ratio though. There are difference in tcw3 oils but they all meet the spec, which is more than adequate IMO, or at least the testing is more severe than we would ever run our motors. penz and merc don't look the same on paper FWIW, this is an VOA, and products change. Appears merc is a 20w with more additive, penz choose to be a 30w with less. I won't speculate which is better.

Pennz Premium/Mercury Premium Plus
Copper - 0/0
Iron - 0/3
Chromium - 0/0
Aluminum - 0/6
Lead - 0/0

Additives(PPM):
Molybdenum -2/1050
Phosphorus - 9/32
Zinc - 15/39
Magnesium - 0/0
Calcium - 38/120

Contaminants:
AntiFreeze - 0/0
Fuel - 0/0
Water - 0/0
Silicon - 0/4

Viscosity@100C - 9.44=SAE 30/7.062=SAE 20

Sulfur - 72%/0
Oxidation - 11%/0
Nitration - 5%/0
Soot - 0%/0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Have you checked Wal-mart?

Lol...Walmart? What's that? We don't have those stinking things around here.
56.gif

I know that the "recommended" mixture for my motor from Mercury with modern oils is 50:1, but after spending over $2000 to rebuild an oil failed motor, I won't budge from 32:1. Plus I like to run at high RPMs for extended periods.

Can't go wrong with 32:1 but with modern oils,50:1 should be fine. It is normally not the oil that causes the problem with the lack of oil, it is just that.... the lack of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back