Purolator Classic vs. AFE Pro Dry S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my wife informed me yesterday that she ordered me a Pro Dry S filter for Valentines Day, so we'll see how it works when I get it. Is it strange that I'm excited about getting an air filter?:)

Not for this candied filter, bro. No way. +1 to the wife!

thumbsup2.gif

By the way, could you keep track of when you install the filter relative to any UOA you post? Definitely curious about your app with this filter. thank you!

EDIT: Also, with your current UOA to follow with the Denso, for however long you run. I've also considered going Denso in the short-term, that or Wix/Napa Gold.

Last edited:
Sorry, all UOA's are paper only, with the digital copies having been lost a while ago due to two HDDs (same RAID1 array) failing within 36hrs of one another. Fortunately, at least for me, I keep it all on a spreadsheet for easy recognition of trends/patterns, and that was on a thumb drive so the data itself lives on...

The Pro Dry S filter my wife got me for Valentines day finally showed up yesterday. Looks like a great, quality constructed filter. I'm excited to get it in and see how it fits. I'll probably get around to it sometime tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How much was the AFE filter ?

i don't know where she ordered it from, but I know amazon had my particular filter for $41 and some change, that was the cheapest I found. Actually now that I think about it, the box it was delivered in said amazon on it

Well I got it installed, fits very snug in the air box, how ever its the fitment to the top of it that concerns me, thats the "clean" side of it and where I had fitment issues with the purolator filter. This one doesn't seem to stick up above the lower half of the air box as far as the denso I had in it. I think its just the design of this air box, it doesn't seem to "squeeze" the air filter gasket like my past vehicles. I guess ill wait and see. Itook pics of the filters, ill post them as soon as we get our computer back

Last edited:
So far I'm happy with this filter. I wasn't expecting any better performance from this thing, but my throttle response does seem to have improved a little bit, but other than that, no power gains, atleast from the seat of my pants. I've definately noticed a difference in the intake noise as well.

Well, I just checked my Pro Dry filter after having it in my car for 4,000miles, which isn't much, but I've been through a lot of dusty areas lately. I'm sad to say this one is no good. Unfortunately my camera isn't working, so no pics. There is a raised ridge around the edge of the urethane part of the filter that fits inside a groove in the top part of my air box, the clean side of the filter. That ridge was covered in dust, but I did not see much past that point or inside the air box lid. I though, well, maybe the inner lip of the groove in the lid is still sealing against the urethane. I cleaned the dust off the filter, coated the inner lip of the lid with oil and put everything together agian. I removed the filter again and there was one spot about and inch long where the lid left oil on the filter. So, looks like I was right to worry about the AFE filter not seaming as thick as the factory Denso filter, so back in went the factory filter. This makes me sad, this is the first time I've ever had an issue with an AFE product. I'd like to contact them about this, but unfortunately I don't have any pics of the filter before I wiped the dust off of it so I'm not sure that they would do anything about it.

Last edited:
That's very disappointing. Good fit in the airbox is vital. A air filter that doesn't fit right isn't an air filter.

Nothing about the filter itself looked defective, and it seems like its real close to being thick enough to seal good, just not quite enough. If I don't have any luck with the factory filter sealing good, I may just eliminate the whole factory air box and make an adapter to use an AFE Pro Dry cone filter or run one of their intake kits with the same filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back