MC syn blend 5W-20 vs 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am currently running MC Syn Blend 5W-30 in my MINT 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS with 36,000 miles.

Would using 5W-20 instead be a better choice year around? I have read that 5W-30 may provide slightly better engine protection over the long term. I plan to keep this car for 200,000 miles and I live in NJ.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

What does Hyundai spec for this engine? Just use what is called for, which I 'think' is 5W-30.

Honestly, you're not going to see any engine life difference between a 5W-20 and 30.....

MC 5W20 is a very robust oil. If it's good for Ford's V8, imagine a 4 banger. The "thicker is better" is old mentality. Today's 20wt are year round champs.

'Thicker is better' may be the old mentality, but it makes me feel better. I'd stick with the 5w-30 if that's been giving you good service. Truth be told its a personal choice on that. Either would be a good choice.

MC Syn Blend 5w20 year round in Jersey will serve you well. And, the 5w20 comes in jugs at Wally, which the 5w30 does not, so there's an added savings bonus with the 5w20.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
MC Syn Blend 5w20 year round in Jersey will serve you well. And, the 5w20 comes in jugs at Wally, which the 5w30 does not, so there's an added savings bonus with the 5w20.

That is a good point. 5w-20 motorcraft is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
MC 5W20 is a very robust oil. If it's good for Ford's V8, imagine a 4 banger. The "thicker is better" is old mentality. Today's 20wt are year round champs.
Sorry, but if the "law of physics and hydrodynamic" is "old mentality" then ignoring that is done at your own peril. Ford did a great job designing the modular to run on thin oil - many other Asian cars and back spec'd cars will devolop knocks and piston slap oil burning on this oil. Its great oil - better than 5w-30 but just not appropriate for "everything". If 20 is good for everything - run it in your Harley knucklehead or you 500HP BBC;)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Hello,

I am currently running MC Syn Blend 5W-30 in my MINT 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS with 36,000 miles.

Would using 5W-20 instead be a better choice year around? I have read that 5W-30 may provide slightly better engine protection over the long term. I plan to keep this car for 200,000 miles and I live in NJ.

I would appreciate your thoughts!
A "bridge" ooption would be to use the excellent Chevron/Havoline DS 5w-30. Is very near 20 weight, stable and will give you a bitmore overrev protection than the 20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
'Thicker is better' may be the old mentality, but it makes me feel better.

confused2.gif
Do you think Ford, Toyo, Honda would advance if they think the same way "it makes me feel better" thicker oil? Heck, they back spec to 0w20!

It's called PROGRESS.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: shrooms
Sorry, but if the "law of physics and hydrodynamic" is "old mentality" then ignoring that is done at your own peril. Ford did a great job designing the modular to run on thin oil - many other Asian cars and back spec'd cars will devolop knocks and piston slap oil burning on this oil. Its great oil - better than 5w-30 but just not appropriate for "everything". If 20 is good for everything - run it in your Harley knucklehead or you 500HP BBC;)

Where in [censored] did I say 20wt is "good for everything"? The OP has a 4 banger and the manual calls for either 20wt or 30wt. And comparing to a Harley? WTFoot is that all about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Flinter : I have a 2010 Elantra which I believe has the same basic engine as your '06 . Oil cap states 5W 20 while manual states 5W 20 or 5W 30 . I have used 5W 20 QS conventional , 5W 20 Kyndal GT-1 Syn Blend and plan to go to 5W 20 MC Syn Blend shortly ...So far with 5W 20 my Elantra has run fine - no oil related problems what so ever . * Also as previous poster stated : MC Syn Blend comes in 5W 20 5 qt. jug is available at WM so you can save $$ versus 5W 30 MC Syn Blend (which is not offered at WM in a 5 qt. jug) .

Even if Hyundai specced a 5w-20 for that engine (which I suspect they did) I'd run 5w-30 in it.

Tomato, tomahto.

I had 2 engines "fail" on 5w-20 the first DAY of ownership in the past 3 years. This is MORE than coincidence in my book. One was a 1.6L Kia which I brought back. The other, my wife just drives and lets it knock away (or lugs it to stop the racket)(since the dealer wont acknowledge the noise IN-WARRANTY). 2009 Car gets traded next spring.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I had 2 engines "fail" on 5w-20 the first DAY of ownership in the past 3 years. This is MORE than coincidence in my book. One was a 1.6L Kia which I brought back. The other, my wife just drives and lets it knock away (or lugs it to stop the racket)(since the dealer wont acknowledge the noise IN-WARRANTY). 2009 Car gets traded next spring.

i`m sorry arco,and with all due respect,i just dont believe it my friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back