2005 Nissan Titan 8200 miles Mobil 1 EP 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to compare the 5w30 EP to the Truck/Suv 5w30 and here are the results. All other samples were the M1 TSUV. I use a Mobil 1 filter. Lead was high. I discovered a loose clamp on my K&N intake that was not making a good seal where the cone filter meets the intake. I think that is what caused the high lead. So if anyone was curious as to how these compare, hopefully this helps.

I also had my fuel injectors professionally cleaned before this sample.

Last edited:
Good diagnosis - extra dirt intrusion is causing elevated bearing wear. The fuel injection cleaning might ave elevated levels slightly, too.

Thanks,Tex. I think the FI work and the AF issue causes this run to be not comparable.

The M1 5-30EP has performed great in my two Fords. I did a UOA last year on the Focus at nearly 10,000 miles and it had plenty of life left. 3.6 TBN as I remember it. Try 10,000 next time.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The M1 5-30EP has performed great in my two Fords. I did a UOA last year on the Focus at nearly 10,000 miles and it had plenty of life left. 3.6 TBN as I remember it. Try 10,000 next time.

I know it could do 10,000 miles. But I do pretty severe driving around Houston. At least 8 stops per day. And it gets nice and hot here in the summer, so sitting in traffic can really do wonders to oil.

I normally used the TSUV M1, but Advanced Auto had a deal for 5 qts and m1 filter for $30. That deal included the EP, so I gave it a try. The moly seems much higher that the other oil.

I can't see the Pb being from the intake. It should be accompanied by elevated Al, Chromium, and Fe. They're not present in elevated numbers.

It may have some other cause. I expect it to return to normal when you don't have so many variables throw in the mix.

I am not knocking M1, and this has nothing to do with iron...

But just as a reference, is there any UOA of regular Mobil 1 (xW-30) on a Nissan V engine without high lead?

I know this isn't a VQ engine, but look at Mobil 1 UOAs on VQ engines if you think it relevant.

Maybe the injector cleaner is the culprit.

I do not think the lead is different enough from the previous UOA to indicate it as the cause of the lead and their is no iron or cromium inhere so it is not the intake! I am going to guess that it was a streak inthe bearing maybe from some dirt maybe not. Their is no way this is a visocity issues either. Normaly if the lead is higher then iron it tells us that the viscosity was not high enough to keep the crank and bearing seperated but we have seen too many 5W30 and 10W30 M1 UOA of this engine that looked fine.

Try it again. Did you use any fuel additives or get gas anyplace thatmight have questionable fuel???

Oh and for all those knuckle heads that think M1+high iron how come he does not have high iron? Also take a look at Schaffers 5W40 9000 formula or what ever in the 4Runner if you want to see high iron!

JB, it would take two dozen M1 knuckle heads to balance the posts of tig1
grin2.gif

The other M1 reports on this chart have low lead, but are a different formula.

Of course, Mobil surely updates their formulas on a regular basis.

Nobody complained about iron here. I was pointing out regular Mobil 1 producing high lead in Nissan VQ engines.

That Schaeffers 9000 for 11,112 miles on a 4-Runner had 24ppm iron for comparison.

I expect more iron in a UOA than lead. But seriously, I am no expert in this field. Most BITOGers know the M1 line are fine engine oils.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I can't see the Pb being from the intake. It should be accompanied by elevated Al, Chromium, and Fe. They're not present in elevated numbers.

It may have some other cause.

Bingo. Elementary TooSlick UOA reading ca 2003.

Hopefully it's just a fluke. I am going to pull a sample after 5k just to see how it looks. If lead is low, then all is well.

You can see this has never been a problem. If not the air intake, what could be the cause? I usually put Chevron or Shell gas, not much on the no name gas.

I was thinking that all sorts of crud came out when I had the injectors and intake/throttle body cleaned. It had never been done and the tech said the ethanol in the fuel makes all sorts of mess inside. Who knows....

To my eye the 2 different oils look almost identical.
The EP just has a bit more Moly?
I just poured M1 TSUV in my truck for the first time.

My main point is every beat up on M1 like mad you would think it was the worst thing since sliced bread yet it seems to be preety consistent even taking second place to Amsoil in their own testing when looked at from an over all prospective. I have not seen anything from Penzoil or Valvoline that just blows the doors off M1. Sure AMsoil,Redline and a few others do preety consistently but look at the price difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back