2005 Acura TSX with 272k miles - 9k interval - Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30

I’m the original owner of my 2005 Acura TSX 6MT with nearly 272k miles. Average oil change interval throughout the life of the car averages to be about 7,500 miles mostly using Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and quality filters such as Fram Ultra Synthetic. Car is driven about 70/30 Hwy/City. And runs absolutely perfect. Prior UOA was at 100k which is also listed. This is my most recent UOA which lists lead and copper as concerns. Are these values something to be concerned about, or normal for this mileage? I appreciate you opinions…

ECA99792E9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be that you are seeing some wear of bearings from a very high mileage motor. I would adcocate 4-5k oil changes as one method of ensuring better numbers. I don't think you need to be doing more UOA's. You ask if you should be concerned. Even if someone could tell you definitively that your bearings are on their last legs, what could you possibly do with this information?

You've gotten 272,000 miles out of this car. It even showed some slightly elevated Pb early on at 100k & has increased with almost triple the mileage on the car which is expected for the mileage. I would continue to run it just like you have but you could try to bump up to a 10w-40 or a 5w-50 to get a little bit more protection from the lead wear. All other metals are showing low so that's great!

Oil pump. Engine is probably save-able. Pump is weak, screen clogged or relief valve stuck open, or a combination. That’s my bet. If it were mine, I’d be looking further to try to keep it alive. As it is now, you are probably on your last OCI, without intervention. There’s probably lots of Honda guys with this engine that can chime in with the probable failure mode.

Last edited:
Oil pump. Engine is probably save-able. Pump is weak, screen clogged or relief valve stuck open, or a combination. That’s my bet. If it were mine, I’d be looking further to try to keep it alive. As it is now, you are probably on your last OCI, without intervention.
If the bypass valve was stuck open, weak or clogged oil pump we'd see elevated wear across the board.

My guess would be that you are seeing some wear of bearings from a very high mileage motor. I would adcocate 4-5k oil changes as one method of ensuring better numbers. I don't think you need to be doing more UOA's. You ask if you should be concerned. Even if someone could tell you definitively that your bearings are on their last legs, what could you possibly do with this information?
You've gotten 272,000 miles out of this car. It even showed some slightly elevated Pb early on at 100k & has increased with almost triple the mileage on the car which is expected for the mileage. I would continue to run it just like you have but you could try to bump up to a 10w-40 or a 5w-50 to get a little bit more protection from the lead wear. All other metals are showing low so that's great!
With the mileage, I’ve considered bumping up the viscosity, however, these VTEC engines have very tight tolerances and many oil controlled solenoids, therefore, I’m concerned that this may cause issues. I think we agree in that I should just keep running it like I have. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. I guess I’ll plan to do another UOA at 300k and see where it’s at then. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oil pump. Engine is probably save-able. Pump is weak, screen clogged or relief valve stuck open, or a combination. That’s my bet. If it were mine, I’d be looking further to try to keep it alive. As it is now, you are probably on your last OCI, without intervention. There’s probably lots of Honda guys with this engine that can chime in with the probable failure mode.
Last OCI? 🤔

This oil starts off at 11.9 cSt and your flashpoint indicates little-to-no fuel in the oil, so the fact the oil's viscosity has dropped to 10.0 cSt indicates a lot of apparent shearing. Maybe that is a further clue as to what is causing the high lead.

I recently ran this same oil in my 03 Civic for 3500 miles and even with 2% fuel (gas chromatography) the viscosity ended at 11.4.

nothing like condemning anything via the internet or one oil analysis.. yall know oil pressure can be checked with a mechanical gage and by their very nature, oil pumps very rarely wear out..

No at that mileage I’ve seen several pumps wear out or are otherwise malfunctioning. Lack of oil flow will show up at the bearings first, not across the entire engine. Especially if it’s a brief loss. The valve train will be next. Do what you want, of course, my view is the engine will not be running much longer unless the issues are addressed. Like I said if it was mine, I would look into it. Oil pressure gauge sometimes will not show where the issue lies. It might read slightly low at normal temperature and give a false negative. But that would be first to try, from cold start to full temp. I’ll bet the relief valve is sticking at some point and bleeding off too much pressure and flow. You may see that behavior on a gauge, you may not. It depends how long the valve is stuck and where the pressure tap is on the engine, and other variables. Having seen enough of this myself, I’m pulling pump and oil pan if it were my car, or one I was responsible for maintaining. It’s worth it because the engine may be able to be saved with minimal cost. Also, I am sure some Honda guys experienced with your specific engine have seen this before and can point you towards a cause. Check the Honda forums.

Last edited:
Also, I assumed that this engine has an automatic spring loaded accessory belt tensioner. If not, and its manual adjustment type, check the belt tension. If someone replaced the belt and its drum tight, it can cause bearing wear as you have here also. Not this much, I think, but worth ruling out as a potential cause. Any clutch work done recently?

So now it's burning a little? Shorten the oci, use the Honda oem filter, and try an oil with more moly.

With the mileage, I’ve considered bumping up the viscosity, however, these VTEC engines have very tight tolerances and many oil controlled solenoids, therefore, I’m concerned that this may cause issues. I think we agree in that I should just keep running it like I have. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. I guess I’ll plan to do another UOA at 300k and see where it’s at then. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I run 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40 in my Element K24 just fine, the VTEC won't mind

Rod bearings are going. Just google K24 rod bearings. Started at 100k. Find someone to do a bottom end rebuild….or find a used engine.

Back