Bought a MANN, received a Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a MANN filter for my Subaru off Amazon looking for something new to use and seeing what a German filter would be built like. Well, unfortunately, the ML1018 is just another Purolator Premium Plus/Classic, made in the USA. Noting really wrong with that, of course, I'm just getting a little disappointed that all the filters I'm seeing for my car lately are either Purolator or Champ clones. How boring is that?
wink.gif

Pics maybe later if there's any interest.

+1 interest.
Problem is the German cars have much higher bypass valve pressures than what we run over here on the American and Japanese cars.
Pretty hard to find a Subie filter that's made to run 0W-40 for two years on the same filter.
I'd run a genuine Austrian made Mahle OC-47 filter on my truck but I'm a little afraid of the 30 psi bypass setting...Plus the truck is still under factory warranty.

New pics.

xmannside.jpg

xmanntop.jpg

For comparison, here's the MANN along with a standard Purolator PremiumPlus and a Motorcraft, all the same filter unless the media is different somehow.

xallthreeside.jpg

The Motor craft should at least have a dome end bypass. It might be interesting to measure from the base to the far end of the element.

I have a Purolator, Pronto, and STP laying around, PF 9 equivalents. The Purolator was cut open and found to have a 1 1/4 high element. Can't tell exactly until I cut them open, but I think the other 2 have a 1 3/4 high one.

Very difficult to assess the quality of media.

Answers the question I had on the filters which Amsoil sells for $4.35 for my Toyota. It says a lot for Purolator. Mann may have specified a higher grade element, but maybe not.

Purolator is owned by both Bosch and Mann. Hence why Mann is breaking into the US market, big time.

Bosch box ones are still a tad overpriced although it is no longer a Champ clicker filter.

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago Mann-Hummel bought the Purolator factory in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

It has actually been many years since I've found German made Mann filters for my cars. My wife's BMW uses a Mann cartridge (HU925/4X) but they've been made in Mexico for many years now.

Regardless, they're a good filter and I've never encountered any issues with quality. It is boring if you're wanting to try something new and you get rebadeged products.

Nice pics, and yes they all look very similar. Boring perhaps but all look like decent quality.
21.gif
It appears that now (as Pablo linked) Purolator is making Mann in addition to Bosch in the US. What's wrong with that?

All of those posted appear to have dome end bypass which is ok. The whole dome end, base end bypass discussion is much ado about nothing, IMO. Motorcraft makes apps with both types.

Thanks for posting the pics. Sorry you're bored, I'd use it, no problem.
21.gif
Like someone said, you could try Japanese. I wouldn't pay more though.

FWIW, after you use the Mann, cut it open, if it's got the "45 adaptor looking thingy" bypass, it's made by Purolator.

I noticed that the Mann label looks like it MIGHT be covering the Purolator name on that filter.

Just for kicks could you try and peel that Mann sticker off and see what if anything is underneath it?

Originally Posted By: labman
The Motor craft should at least have a dome end bypass.

They all do. I'm sure you meant base end, but either way, the Motorcraft has its bypass in the dome end just like the others. You can see in the picture that it lacks the base end bypass that some other Motorcraft filters have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back