Castrol GC 0w30 4K miles, Subaru WRX, 69K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
5092_1192392729403_1215930194_533333_1782091_n.jpg

Let me know if this is hard to read. This is a report using GC for 4,000 miles over the winter, so reasonably tame driving. The car is running an upsized turbo (18G), so making about 100hp more than the stock 233hp.

This fill was the first after an EngineRX treatment cycle, which you'll also see in the report. I used Castrol dino 10w40 for the "rinse" and Pennzoil Platinum synth for the "wash" phase (I ran the Pennzoil for ~2K miles, then added the EngineRX). I filled up with the Redline 5w40 again this time -- I had posted a couple UOAs to this board using Redline a while back where the lead had spiked a bit, but was told by Redline and others that was normal for a first go-round with RL.

Ted

Yeah, they must not have picked up on the fact that it's GC and not the US stuff. It ended up exactly where I expected it to.... Though I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Castrol dino held up, though it was only in there for 3K miles.

I agree that the GTX 10W-40 did very well for a modified engine. The GC did really well also - engine seems to like Castrol oils!

I think if you even stretched your GC runs to 6-7k, it would still do well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why they're flagging the viscosity escapes me.

Blackstone's typical boiler plate comments.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
So, the lead at 13 and copper at 50 was "normal" for redline? Why?

I think it is from the leaching caused by their esters.

If I weren't so lazy I'd dig up my old report, but IIRC, when I spoke to Redline they mentioned it was typical for lead to temporarily jump due to the cleaning effect from the oil, which tended to remove surface oxidation from bearings, etc. He said it generally stabilized a low levels after another change, but I went from Redline over to the EngineRX cycle and have only now put Redline back in.

EDIT: Here's a link to my old UOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=3&Number=1081183

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why they're flagging the viscosity escapes me.

They're just used to seeing so many subie turbo uoa's where the oil has sheared to a 20 grade.
55.gif

Ted, how many miles are you going to run the Redline? Push it to 6k.
grin2.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Depends on time as well as mileage, but if I can do 4K miles on Redline with 10-15% of those miles going WOT on the track and have virtually no oil breakdown (as my prior UOAs indicate), I wouldn't see an issue going 6000 miles on this fill....

Hows that 18g feel on the low-end?

Bryan (BNR Turbos) just created some bolt-on versions of the VF40/46 series using an Evo 16g wheel, an 18g, and two variations of 20g. He fabbed them up to bolt-on to the Legacy GT/Outback 2005-2009 models.

I'm thinking the 16g will be right for my desires and it looks plenty good for 300whp, but I'm always curious about people's experiences with the next step up (i.e. 18g) :)

Joe

What happened 2 oil changes ago that made you have 50 in copper? What the heck oil was that? I want to know so I can stay away from that, that was a terrible UOA for you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back