royal purple haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm goin to change my oil either tonight or tomorrow. I've ran RP since new, so we will see. It's a honda, so if the UOA is good people will say it's because it's a honda.

Originally Posted By: torrin
ive read the [censored] out of this site since i found it a week ago awesome site.

there are a ton of royal purple haters and bashers on here.
just wondering if people actually have stories about how royal purple caused damage to there engine diffs or tranny caused by royal purple. personally i like and heard all good about royal purple from people who use it. and personally would use it over amsoil because of the nuts who use amsoil. kinda like the nuts who worship obama like a god its repulsive.

just wodering if people have experienced first hand royal purple actually causing some kind of mechanical failure. i had a 65 pontiac tempest with a 326. the oil made a tremendous difference with engine noise and knocking and performance.
the onlt negative i have 2 say is its over priced .

thanks

There have been a few instances where RP did not perform well in a specific application. There is a guy on here with an extreme Hi-Perf HEMI engine that had bad luck with it as one example( think it was the race formula though not the regular street stuff? ). I believe there is a guy with a Buick GN turbo engine that has not had good luck with it either. However, they are the exception and not the norm.

No one has had any failures directly related to using RP on this site to my knowledge( or any other oil that I know of - if so it is rare ). It has also performed very well in the UOA's despite claims to the contrary. The overwhelming vast majority of those bashing RP fluids here have never even tried it. There are a few who tried it once on short OCI's and then ran UOA's and got poor results but that is to be expected. I wonder what they were thinking would happen? For those who have used it long term it has done very well.

I don't get this "shady marketing" or "no info given on the product" stuff either? They are one of the most straight forward and honest companies out there when questions are asked. They will even be completly honest and tell you if you should not use their product for whatever reason( ie; not compatible, not warranty acceptable, etc... ). They do very little marketing where they talk about the competition unlike other companies that make a living off tearing down the competition to try and pump their product up. That is NOT how RP does things. Recently RP made a simple comment about wear vs the new castrol Edge. Now they are shady marketers??? WTH is that about? They are actually a very honest and stand up company. They are not going to give you their secret formula but they will answer questions with a good faith effort.

I have run RP in a ton of vehicles( oil, tranny, diff's, t-case, coolant additive )and have had nothing but excellent results. For some reason on THIS site it is hated. Only place I have ever come across it. Every other place it is one of the top 2-3 talked about.

As to cost. Yes, it is over priced at many parts chains like PepBoys and Advanced Auto. What oil isn't overpriced these days though? $4 for conventional oil? PUHLEASE! As much as I like it there is no way in heck I pay $9 p/individual qt the way PepBoys charges. NO WAY! However, you can get it for a very competitive pricing if you shop around usually. I pay just $5.75-$6.25 p/qt for it depending on where my speed shop guy gets it. Penzoil Platinum sells for $5.97 p/ individual qt at Wal-Mart around here and it is $6.50-$7 at the parts stores. So, I can get it for less than those other oils in single qt bottles.

RP is a great company that makes great fluids. They are just one of many to choose from. Not the best( there is no such thing )and certainly not the worst as so many make it out to be. They are my 1st chocie whenever possible and I have never had a bad experience with their products despite a variety of uses/applications.

IMO the one big negative facing that company is their inflexibility and refusal to deal with changing API standards. They either need to reformulate the current oil or offer a second line to supplement their best line( similar to Amsoil's XL line )that can meet the most current API Service Level requirements and new vehicle warranties. Sticking with API SL, with API SN coming out anytime, just because they feel it is better is going to result in a ton of lost sales. Adapt or die. I hope they adapt because it would be a real shame to see them fade away.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
ive read the [censored] out of this site since i found it a week ago awesome site.

there are a ton of royal purple haters and bashers on here.
just wondering if people actually have stories about how royal purple caused damage to there engine diffs or tranny caused by royal purple. personally i like and heard all good about royal purple from people who use it. and personally would use it over amsoil because of the nuts who use amsoil. kinda like the nuts who worship obama like a god its repulsive.

just wodering if people have experienced first hand royal purple actually causing some kind of mechanical failure. i had a 65 pontiac tempest with a 326. the oil made a tremendous difference with engine noise and knocking and performance.
the onlt negative i have 2 say is its over priced .

thanks

There have been a few instances where RP did not perform well in a specific application. There is a guy on here with an extreme Hi-Perf HEMI engine that had bad luck with it as one example( think it was the race formula though not the regular street stuff? ). I believe there is a guy with a Buick GN turbo engine that has not had good luck with it either. However, they are the exception and not the norm.

No one has had any failures directly related to using RP on this site to my knowledge( or any other oil that I know of - if so it is rare ). It has also performed very well in the UOA's despite claims to the contrary. The overwhelming vast majority of those bashing RP fluids here have never even tried it. There are a few who tried it once on short OCI's and then ran UOA's and got poor results but that is to be expected. I wonder what they were thinking would happen? For those who have used it long term it has done very well.

I don't get this "shady marketing" or "no info given on the product" stuff either? They are one of the most straight forward and honest companies out there when questions are asked. They will even be completly honest and tell you if you should not use their product for whatever reason( ie; not compatible, not warranty acceptable, etc... ). They do very little marketing where they talk about the competition unlike other companies that make a living off tearing down the competition to try and pump their product up. That is NOT how RP does things. Recently RP made a simple comment about wear vs the new castrol Edge. Now they are shady marketers??? WTH is that about? They are actually a very honest and stand up company. They are not going to give you their secret formula but they will answer questions with a good faith effort.

I have run RP in a ton of vehicles( oil, tranny, diff's, t-case, coolant additive )and have had nothing but excellent results. For some reason on THIS site it is hated. Only place I have ever come across it. Every other place it is one of the top 2-3 talked about.

As to cost. Yes, it is over priced at many parts chains like PepBoys and Advanced Auto. What oil isn't overpriced these days though? $4 for conventional oil? PUHLEASE! As much as I like it there is no way in heck I pay $9 p/individual qt the way PepBoys charges. NO WAY! However, you can get it for a very competitive pricing if you shop around usually. I pay just $5.75-$6.25 p/qt for it depending on where my speed shop guy gets it. Penzoil Platinum sells for $5.97 p/ individual qt at Wal-Mart around here and it is $6.50-$7 at the parts stores. So, I can get it for less than those other oils in single qt bottles.

RP is a great company that makes great fluids. They are just one of many to choose from. Not the best( there is no such thing )and certainly not the worst as so many make it out to be. They are my 1st chocie whenever possible and I have never had a bad experience with their products despite a variety of uses/applications.

IMO the one big negative facing that company is their inflexibility and refusal to deal with changing API standards. They either need to reformulate the current oil or offer a second line to supplement their best line( similar to Amsoil's XL line )that can meet the most current API Service Level requirements and new vehicle warranties. Sticking with API SL, with API SN coming out anytime, just because they feel it is better is going to result in a ton of lost sales. Adapt or die. I hope they adapt because it would be a real shame to see them fade away.

Whatever makes you happy, makes us happy :)

Originally Posted By: c3po
I think that some people do not like it because of the UOA's that have shown some shearing and maybe the wear numbers were not that impressive.

I would look through the used oil analysis section and unless I am wrong isn't Royal Purple a Group III oil.

My searches say it is definitely a Grp. IV with some Grp. V esters

I do not consider myself a RP "basher" by any stretch....
But my engine had lousy UOA's (multiple) and reflected shearing to a 20 weight (Racing 40 RP). So I don't use it nor recommend it. Simply put...I have much better results with much less expensive oils.
Some folks can have wonderful results with RP. I didn't. Doesn't make it a bad/or good oil. Just not good for me.

Originally Posted By: john1944
I think that some people do not like it because of the UOA's that have shown some shearing and maybe the wear numbers were not that impressive.

I would look through the used oil analysis section and unless I am wrong isn't Royal Purple a Group III oil.

My searches say it is definitely a Grp. IV with some Grp. V esters

^^That`s what I`ve read as well. It`s a grp VI/grp V (Synerlec being an ester based additive). Can`t remember if I read that here awhile back or somewhere else. Imo where RP really shines is during wot runs. Talk about some smooooooth upper level rpms!!! To me it seems like an excellent oil if you like to pound the heck out of your engine.

If I can remember to do it,I`ll do a uoa on my next run with their 20W50 street oil.

Last edited:
I love the fact that the oil's "performance" is being judged based on information provided by a testing method (UOA) that is meant to gauge contamination levels and lubricant longevity and not engine wear.......

Last edited by a moderator:
according to royal purple your first 2-3 oci are supposed 2 be 3k-4k miles because the oil is cleaning and flushing the engine. then after that your ocis can be 12k miles. your uoa would be poor the first ane or 2 then should get better anyone actually do this and what were ur results

Wonder if there are any material data sheets on their oils? I looked on their site,but couldn`t find any.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2003f7
Yes the M.S.D.S. are on the RP wes site.

Found them
11.gif

They`re on their Industrial page.

Funny how at a bunch of other car sites, I see the banners: RP Increase Horsepower, blah blah. At Bob's, an oil site, I see none.

A fellow posted a spreadsheet with over a hundred UOA's on Subaru s.

I eliminated the data with less than 20,000 miles (break-in) and OCI less than 4000 miles to get rid of short OCI's. I was left with 90 samples.

I then sorted the data by ppm iron per 1000 miles.

Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple dominate the top performers.

I get very similar results for chrome per 1000 miles. Lead, copper and aluminum are more of a mixed bag.

See below for the iron ppm/1000 miles sort:

OCI.....iron/1000.......Oil Brand
13500 0.2 Amsoil S2000
12664 0.3 Amsoil S3000
5786 0.3 Amsoil
4982 0.4 Redline
4323 0.5 Amsoil S3000
6904 0.6 RP Racing 21
22000 0.6 Amsoil S2000
4871 0.6 Redline
7490 0.7 Mobil 1
7156 0.7 Amsoil
5022 0.8 Royal Purple
4983 0.8 Royal Purple
4963 0.8 Redline
7382 0.8 Amsoil
5592 0.9 Tech2000
7777 0.9 RP Racing 21
8800 0.9 Chevron Supreme
7521 0.9 RP Racing 21
5319 0.9 Pennzoil/Pennzoil Plat
5174 1.0 Amsoil ASL
4131 1.0 Redline
5012 1.0 Redline
4950 1.0 Tech2000
5800 1.0 Mobil 1
7579 1.1 Mobil 1
7504 1.1 RP Racing 21
6500 1.1 Amsoil S3000
4632 1.1 Castrol High Mileage
7230 1.1 Amsoil S3000
4407 1.1 Motorcraft
5200 1.2 Amsoil ASL
6840 1.2 Synergyn
7666 1.2 Mobil 1
6790 1.2 Pennzoil Platinum
5089 1.2 Castrol Syntec
5061 1.2 Castrol Syntec
5840 1.2 Pennzoil Platinum
4082 1.2 Castrol GTX
7100 1.3 Castrol Syntec
8332 1.3 Mobil 1, Amsoil S3K
7534 1.3 Mobil 1
5174 1.4 Amsoil S2000
8077 1.4 Amsoil AMO
6540 1.4 Synergyn
5023 1.4 Synergyn
5003 1.4 RP Racing 21
5000 1.4 Mobil 1
7000 1.4 Pennzoil
4888 1.4 Mobil 1
8843 1.5 Amsoil
10000 1.5 Royal Purple
8000 1.5 Schaeffers
5200 1.5 Amsoil ASL
7780 1.5 Mobil Delvac 1
7000 1.6 Mobil 1
4411 1.6 Motorcraft
5000 1.6 Mobil 1
4316 1.6 Mobil 1, Amsoil S3K
13500 1.6 Amsoil ATM
4906 1.6 Castrol GTX
4796 1.7 Mobil 1
4788 1.7 Castrol Syntec
5930 1.7 Castrol Syntec
7000 1.7 Mobil 1
4000 1.8 Mobil 1
6213 1.8 Mobil 1
6165 1.8 Mobil 1
6144 1.8 Castrol Syntec
6000 1.8 Amsoil ATM
7600 1.8 unknown dealer non-synth
7000 1.9 Royal Purple
5921 1.9 Castrol GTX
4284 1.9 Pennzoil blend
6362 1.9 Mobil 1/Amsoil S3K/Mobil 1 T&SUV
7845 1.9 Castrol Syntec (GC)
4046 2.0 Amsoil
6524 2.0 Motul 300V Chrono
5303 2.1 Amsoil S3000
6261 2.2 Mobil 1
9581 2.3 Amsoil S2000
4647 2.6 Mobil 1
6000 2.8 Amsoil
7566 2.9 Mobil 1
7183 2.9 Mobil 1
6470 3.1 Schaeffers
5083 3.1 Castrol Syntec (GC)
7505 3.3 Mobil 1
7433 3.4 Mobil 1
4100 4.1 Schaeffers

Original source of data:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1293170&fpart=1

Last edited:
I have friend who swears by RP ATF MAX, I tried finding more about whether or not it will be beneficial for me to switch from Amsoil ATF...but what makes me stick with Amsoil over RP and Red Line ATF D4...is that neither of these brands tell you exactly for how long is their product good for under normal service....but Amsoil does (25k miles or a year)!

I actually read somewhere on a Amsoil related website that RP is loaded with MOLY which makes it a bad for engines when used for an "extended OCI"...and most people are only willing to buy and use expensive oil mostly not just because syn oil give better protection but also for longer period of time...!!

at least that's what I was able to summarize from people who oppose RP!

On BITOG forums a lot many people found it to be bad oil than good...I believe you can find virgin and used Oil analysis on this forum...I for one have no opinion...

and your point.

An observation requires no "point", it's self-explanatory.

What's yours?

no point i guess you mean its just a observation you stated. you could say stupid stuff like that about any product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back