Would You Use This Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Purolator Pure One today from AA thinking it would be King ©®@p of Turd Mountain, but I'm disappointed and thinking of taking it back even with the rebate. The material is not straight, the seam is cheaply put together, and it seems like there was little or no QC on this line or any other Purolator for that matter because they all had the same defects. I'll post what I'm talking about here. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The UAW is now at Purolator?
LOL.gif

Hmmm. I've been using the pre-canned version of these for my Honda's and obviously wouldn't know if they had a hole in them. But, my recent UOA suggested it was working fine.

The ACDelco for this app is made by Hengst and the Napa Gold is by Wix. It is possible that Wix pays a fee to be allowed to use most of the Hengst design.

I'm going crazy researching this application!

I use, and would use in you situation the Napa Gold.

That said. Pure one is a great filter. One of the better one on the market today. If yours is made poorly, that may be due to a problem at the production line.
Purolater is a fine brand.

Shouldn't there be a clip or something holding those seams together?

I hope you forwarded those to the company.

My e-mail to their customer service:

Hi,

I’ve written before with a previous question about the efficiency of the Pure One line. I went out and purchased an oil filter for a 2008 Cobalt with a 2.2L. Unfortunately I am disappointed with the quality, and how it was put together. I’m not sure what happened, but the filter media is not straight, and there is actually a hole where the seam is glued together. I’ve posted the filter online in PDF format at http://www.chrismaiers.com/filter/PureOne.pdf for your viewing.

Normally I would have dismissed this as a fluke, but I opened up boxes for seven other filters in the Pure One line and the tier below it, and all of them had the same apparent defects.

If you could please let me know if this is indeed a defect, because I am very concerned that something like this could hurt the oil pressure levels and allow some unfiltered oil back into the engine. As of this point, I have not installed the filter.

Thank you for your time, and your response is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chris

I guess if the bypass valve opens at times unfiltered oil is allowed back into the motor also.......:(

Hummmmmmm! Interesting. Are they now owned by botch? Maybe i didn't look carefully enough, but I never noticed those problems in the L15436.

I got a response from Purolator this morning. Here it is in its entirety:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your interest in our Purolator filters. I have contacted our Engineering Department with attached pictures for comment. I have received an answer back from them in which, they would like to get the filters in for testing. I will need to complete a quality concern. I have listed the information that I need below in order to complete this concern as well. Do you still have the filter/filters. You mentioned 7. I can request a call tag for all 7 in which is pre-paid at no charge to you. Please let me know if this is what you would like to do.

Name: (no Po box)
Address:
Phone:
Date of occurrence:
Filter number:
Number of filters:

If you have any questions, please let me know. As soon as you can get this information back to me, I can complete the QCR. Once I get it completed, it takes 2-3 days UPS ground to get to you. You would then just send the filters to the address provided. Once the claims lab gets the filters and completes their investigation, they will contact you directly from there.

Thank you,

Happy Holidays,
Katrina S. Hull
*rest of sig omitted*

In the signature line it did say they are part of Robert Bosch, LLC.

I have sent in my response with the pertinent information as well.

Hey, better than the response I got from Fram. Basically I worte them a few years back asking them to justify the use of cardboard endcaps on their filters that they charge more for tahn the competition. Their response was basically "Hey, it always worked fine so we're not changing anything. See ya around."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back