Auto-rx and LC mixtures, long-drain interval dosing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I just bought a few bottles of auto-rx. I want to use it in my saab 9-3, which is only specced for running on a full PAO synthetic (m1 0w-40 is the only one available in NA).

Since my driving style enables me to go over 15k miles betweeen changes, I plan to bolster with LC (which I always use in my other vehicles), and auto-rx.

I have a couple questions: First, should I be wary of any issues arising from mixing rx and LC?

Second, Id like to know a good RX maintenance dose for OCIs of, say, 10-15k miles, which is likely around when Ill plan to do it. The sump is 6 quarts, and it seems to me that maybe Id want to dose slightly higher since the usage duration is longer, so there are theoretically more things to pull from the oil (if auto rx lasts in the oil for that long).

Finally, can anyone give insight on the resultant effects if rx is competing with the esters in the oil Im using? Remember, its only a maintenance dose, so surface concentrations cannot be as high as in a true cleaning dose. Id guess that it would remain in solution and 'last' longer in a syn oil, since there is the competition for surface , and then the rx component be able to selectively remove items that show up, as they do. Is there any potential issues to having RX in the syn oil? I wont be changing to dino for the sake of Auto-rx usage, and since the engine is new, Ill only be doing a maintenance dosage to keep things clean. I just want some assurance that Im not screwing up my oil's chemistry, destroying its ability to go 15k+.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Hi,

I just bought a few bottles of auto-rx. I want to use it in my saab 9-3, which is only specced for running on a full PAO synthetic (m1 0w-40 is the only one available in NA).

Since my driving style enables me to go over 15k miles betweeen changes, I plan to bolster with LC (which I always use in my other vehicles), and auto-rx.

I have a couple questions: First, should I be wary of any issues arising from mixing rx and LC?

Second, Id like to know a good RX maintenance dose for OCIs of, say, 10-15k miles, which is likely around when Ill plan to do it. The sump is 6 quarts, and it seems to me that maybe Id want to dose slightly higher since the usage duration is longer, so there are theoretically more things to pull from the oil (if auto rx lasts in the oil for that long).

Finally, can anyone give insight on the resultant effects if rx is competing with the esters in the oil Im using? Remember, its only a maintenance dose, so surface concentrations cannot be as high as in a true cleaning dose. Id guess that it would remain in solution and 'last' longer in a syn oil, since there is the competition for surface , and then the rx component be able to selectively remove items that show up, as they do. Is there any potential issues to having RX in the syn oil? I wont be changing to dino for the sake of Auto-rx usage, and since the engine is new, Ill only be doing a maintenance dosage to keep things clean. I just want some assurance that Im not screwing up my oil's chemistry, destroying its ability to go 15k+.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JMH

I believe the maintenance dose of Auto-RX stays the same regardless of drain intervals. I don't think there will be any conflicts with the LC.

Hammer

Auto-Rx will liquify any solvents and they will go into the filter. Don't mix chemistries at best it is a waste of your money at worst it can cause a reaction effecting you oil's performance.Complete your Auto-Rx cleaning first.

I have no need to do an auto-rx cleaning, the engine is new. I want to ensure minimal buildup from the start, considering that this engine is designed for long OCIs.

I like LC and use it in all my cars. Ive been happy with it. Is there any real benefit, given what youve said to using RX over LC? Since it is semi-apparent that I don't want to use both, I need to make a decision of what to use. Id lean towards LC, given the engine is new and clean, but if you can advise me to the ability of a maintenance dose to remain in the oil long-term over an extended OCI, and its ability to perform over that duration, I may reconsider.

Thanks,

JMH

I have done some searching on this subject last week , found the most reasonable dose was one of our guys uses 1/2 a bottle of ARX every 9000miles ...for the average consumer this is very few $$ per year .. you may want to change your oil and start with 3-4 oz then @ the 45oo mile mark add more ???
I personally use LC for continuall cleaning ...though I did just buy 4 bottles of ARX for other purposes ...not and ARX hater here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back