Magnesium 882
Phosphorus 855
Zinc 1058
Barium 0

Sus Viscosity@210F 65.4
cSt Viscosity@100C 11.72
Flashpoint 405F
TBN 10.4

This oil also contains Monolec, a patented LE, inc. AW additive.

I know it's supposed to be a good oil, but this number concerns me.

Calcium 972

Run it for 5K then do a UOA on it. I do like their gear oils and their 3752 Almagard Grease.

Yes, the Ca number surprises me too. So does the FP of 405F. LE says it should be 420F on their literature. I sent Blackstone an email to help clarify.

Does the extra Mg number compensate for the lower Ca? In other words, is it a stronger oil detergent than Ca? I've noticed a trend towards increasing Mg and lowering Ca lately by other oil companies. Maybe it's just a cheaper alternative...

Originally Posted By: bruce381
Lab error or TBN is being boosted with a aminc AO or just other stuff in there.
bruce

LE advertises a TBN of 10.0 for this oil, so 10.4 should be pretty accurate from Blackstone I would think.

Here is a response that I received from LE back on 10/27. I forgot to add it to the thread. I really like how this oil runs in my Tundra V-8 in the Texas heat this summer. Very quiet, evem with headers and dual exhaust!

Jack,

You asked a question about an oil analysis of our 8130 Monolec Ultra-Blend Engine Oil that was performed at Blackstone Labs. Your question was on the Calcium level in the 8130. The result reported was 972ppm’s of Calcium. Our approval range for Calcium based upon formulation is 950 to 1250 ppm’s, so their result on Calcium is within new lube range. The Calcium is part of a detergent-dispersant package that also includes Magnesium which is in there at 1000 to 1200 ppm’s.

You also asked about the Flash Point, which is performed according to ASTM D92 Standard Test Method for Flash Point and Fire Point by Cleveland Open Cup. In that standard, the repeatability between the same operator at the same lab on the same equipment is 15 degrees F. The reproducibility between two different labs is 30 degrees F. The result you received was 405F and our reported value is 420F, so their number is within an acceptable range between two different labs and would be acceptable even if it were performed at the same lab by the same person.

The batch number, 102307279, which you found on the quart container means that that bottle, was filled on October 23, 2007 and the 279 is part of our tracking system on the manufactured products. Our outside laboratory testing is called LEAP and the tests are done by Polaris Labs. Their closest lab is in Houston. The tests are sold in ten packs and an Advanced Mobile Kit is $190.00.

We thank you for using our products and if we can help you with anything, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Steve Mauritz
Manager Technical Services
Lubrication Engineers, Inc. 300 Bailey Avenue
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
817-537-7683 Ext 3260

My first fill of this oil has been in there for 3500 miles/5 months so far. I'm not sure whether to sample it at 5k or 7.5k. I'm leaning towards 7.5k and then base my OCI's off of the UOA from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back