High VI PAO (that's "six") SpectraSyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three observations from the link provided below -

1.) I was of the (mis-) understanding that PAOs were near the performance limits and wouldn't be improved on significantly.

2.) I was of the (mis-) understanding that Grp IIIs were near or passing PAOs in multiple metrics.
(Qoute from link below - "Since PAO-based products significantly outperform mineral oil and enhanced mineral oil (Group III) based products, we can provide you with a superior PAO that will solve your specific lubricant needs."

3.) It would appear that ExxonMobil has another category of Synthetics (SpecraSyn) that is categorically better than SuperSyn - and it's not being used in their automobile oils - telling me we auto users are related to second tier. They have developed SpectraSyn, SpectrSyn Plus, and SpectraSyn Ultra. Meanwhile our one option - SuperSyn.

(I was aware of SpectraSyn, and some of the above issues, but had thought about it and forgot about it.)

http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Public...adeOverview.asp

Ok, my bad - just re-read the article and it's definitely High Visc. Index - I realize that PAOs are IV and esters V (hopefully I got this right). But I was thinking perhaps there was another category thrown into the mix. Wrong.

Quote:

1.) I was of the (mis-) understanding that PAOs were near the performance limits and wouldn't be improved on significantly.

2.) I was of the (mis-) understanding that Grp IIIs were near or passing PAOs in multiple metrics.
(Qoute from link below - "Since PAO-based products significantly outperform mineral oil and enhanced mineral oil (Group III) based products, we can provide you with a superior PAO that will solve your specific lubricant needs."

I'm not sure why you thought this - probably posted by the same gang who think the ONLY way for synthetic oil to show good wear numbers is to make them mostly conventional blends!!
liar.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
puke.gif

Anyhow, you need to dilute Mobil marketing noise in that link. I mean it's not wunderjuice, but still the properties are better than hydrotreated crude.

There's nothing funny about using SuperSyn when we could be using SpectraSyn.

Seriously, perhaps the issue with SpectraSyn is that its VI index levels are essentially not applicable/usable in an auto engine (or more likely just doesn't make sense from a pricing standpt to intro this to the auto market). I'm ignorant here (and many other places), but just wondering - where is SpectraSyn being used and why is not available to the auto market. (?)

Mobil 1 Supersyn motor oils contain Spectrasyn Ultra PAO. Says so on the bottles.

Some of Mobil's PAOs used to be called Supersyn. That's how the motor oil's got their name. They changed the name of their PAOs to Spectrasyn. They didn't change the name of their motor oils, I'm guessing for customer recognition purposes.

so basically its just a marketing tool used to "fool" us into thinking they just came out with some fancy out of this world lubricant?

I realize that a high VI would be "usable" in an auto engine, but perhaps an auto engine would not be an environment that would task such an oil to the pt of making it worthwhile.

I just went read the text on my newly acquired jug (5qt) of M1 HM 10w40 (soon to be tasked with my Mazda engine). I saw text for SuperSyn but nothing for SpectraSyn. (?)

Quote:

Quote:

Mobil 1 Supersyn motor oils contain Spectrasyn Ultra PAO. Says so on the bottles.

Trivia question - are you saying all SuperSyn lines necessarily contains some of the Ultra PAO ?

Appears so to me. Every bottle I've looked at recently mentions the "high viscosity fluid" or whatever the wording is. Plus, the Supersyn lineup was built on this formulation approach. To change the approach would likely coincide with a new name for the motor oil. Used to be ??, then it was Tri-Synthetic, now it's Supersyn, next will be __.

Ok, return trip to the garage - the text does say ".. formulated with SuperSyn, an extra high viscosity fluid.."

(It would really cool to have the M1 HM jug sitting here as a paper wgt, but my wife might start telling my friends.)

Quote:

I just went read the text on my newly acquired jug (5qt) of M1 HM 10w40 (soon to be tasked with my Mazda engine). I saw text for SuperSyn but nothing for SpectraSyn. (?)

SpectraSyn Ultra is the "high viscosity fluid" or whatever it says on back of the the bottle. It doesn't explicitly mention Spectrasyn Ultra. No telling what kind of confusement that would cause Joe Bloe picking an oil at Wal-Mart.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back