High VI PAO (that's "six") SpectraSyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike, I think it was like $19.9x (thus over $21 w/ tax).

I plan to get my money's worth out of it (long drain) and to conduct high fluetent science in the process. My Mazda hasn't put an oil drop on the ground since 1999 (not one. - and the last time it did, M1 15w50 was in the crankcase.) I can't believe M1 would put out an HM oil that returns to those leaking (weeping, whatever) ways. We'll see.

SpectraSyn Ultra is what XOM used to call SuperSyn. When they renamed their entire line of PAOs what was SuperSyn became SpectraSyn Ultra. Confused? I'm sure XOM hopes so.

Look at the viscosity of SpectraSyn Ultra: 150 to 1,000 cSt at 100°C.
shocked.gif
This stuff is not just high VI, it's extremely high viscosity. It can only be used in small doses in PCMO and HDEO blends, and that's what it's for. It's meant to be used as one component in a blend of base oils which may include lower vis PAO and/or Group III.

Don't go flipping out thinking that XOM is keeping the good stuff secret. I'm sure Amsoil and all the other companies that buy PAO from XOM use some SpectraSyn in their base oil concoctions.

Try this link for potential formulations.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...e=26#Post257442

Not too long ago a patent was posted which showed new potential formulations using small percentages of high viscosity PAO's and large percentages of low vis PAO's. Using small percentages of high vis PAO's in a formulation yields better shear resistance and lower wear.

Also bear in mind, EM is reducing their selection of Esterex Esters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back