Properties of Basestocks - Effects on Lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
good stuff has been around for years they did not show aromatic oils they are way higher in EHL film formation than napthenics.
bruce

JAG good stuff there. Will have to go over it several more times to get it all.

The one about the Thermal conductivity was most interesting to me. Terry has posted that GrpIII/IV dissipate heat better than other oils and it kinda made me
confused.gif
, but this chart is showing exactly that (for GrpIV anyway). Might be why some people report lower engine temps with these oils and why they are so much better for gear oils.

Also at the very end: "Cleanliness is one of the most important parameters for long operational life!"
grin.gif

Quote:

aromatic oils they are way higher in EHL film formation than napthenics

Alkylated Naphthalenes? Any other examples bruce?

Bruce is right. They did not include aromatics which are great film formers. Of course they have huge downsides too, most importantly oxidative stability. Aromatics and napthenics are good in certain areas that the more processed oil are not, and vice versa.

I wish they had tested more than one type of ester as well.

Yep, Tempest, the Group 3 and 4 basestocks have significantly better thermal conductivity than the lower group basestocks. Terry has brought that up a lot recently. As you can see from some of the other charts, Group 4 (and 3 to a slightly lesser extent) oils have weaknesses in some other areas, most disturbingly in film forming ability. They discuss shock absorption and I think (correct me if wrong) it indicates the higher group number basestocks don't do as well in that area. Noisy engine, anyone?

The effect of shear rate on viscosity cracked me up. A Newtonian fluid has same viscosity as all shear rates-shown as flat line. Look at the 20W-50 vs the straight 30 wt viscosity. At some shear rate, the 20W-50 viscosity takes a huge dump and eventually goes below the 30 wt! Same type thing as discussed in my other recent thread. The polymers also decrease film strength when high pressures are applied. SO high shear rate and high pressure combined really puts an oil with lots of polymers at a disadvantage in film strength. I wish I could get away from M1 0W-40 because of that but it's just too good at other things that I have not found a suitable replacement yet.

All this once again shows that great oil must be tailored to the application, with compromises always being made. No ingredients are just right in all ways.

Dad2leia, a chef is a food engineer, isn't he? Sort of?
smile.gif

Alkylated Naphthalenes?

No not them

Any other examples bruce?

No web search monsanto, Santo trac?? forgot name but has the highest EHL film thickness and is used in CV transmissions or something wierd like that
bruce

Could that particular ingredient that the names slips you bruce possibly be used in a crankcase oil configuration, or is it strictly reserved and or have the properties confined to transmission lubrication soley?
dunno.gif

Quote:

As you can see from some of the other charts, Group 4 (and 3 to a slightly lesser extent) oils have weaknesses in some other areas, most disturbingly in film forming ability. They discuss shock absorption and I think (correct me if wrong) it indicates the higher group number basestocks don't do as well in that area.

Seems to correlate well the Coefficient of Traction of the oils which was my original theory.
smile.gif

Quote:

SO high shear rate and high pressure combined really puts an oil with lots of polymers at a disadvantage in film strength

This is right in line with what Bruce posted about gear oils not "seeing" the VII and only protecting as well as the actual base oil.

Quote:

I wish I could get away from M1 0W-40 because of that but it's just too good at other things that I have not found a suitable replacement yet.

Rotella T syn 5W40? Seems to have some of the best VII out there.

Tempest, yes and yes to your first two comments.

I have considered Rotella T 5W-40. I will try to find a quart of it and test its deposit resistance and volatility. If it looks good, I may give it a run. If not, in the lawn mower it will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back