I bought a 2010 GTI 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Dino oil cannot be used in any recent VAG engine (the past 10 years), and certainly not any turbo'd VAG motor, gas or diesel. Both VW and Audi have TSBs on the subject. Those that do become their own warranty, and, after the warranty. VAG engines run with dino are subject to stuck rings, deposits and turbo issues (if applicable). My information comes from many dealer and indie techs, some with 30 years experience.

That sounds a little preachy considering the vast range of experiences represented on this forum. There are plenty of oils that work in VW engines. What someone chooses to call them is unimportant. You're going to tell me 15w-40 HD is going to hurt my V6 Audi or VW 2.Slo? That Mobil Clean with solvent dewaxed Gruppe III base oil is not technically "synthetic"? I don't know if a new car thread is the place to get into it, but there are few absolutes, like was stated.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Mobil 1 0w-40 at 5k intervals.

Every 5,000 miles, be sure to run a can of Seafoam or Amsoil PowerFoam through the intake to clean the intake valves. The 2.0T is direct-injected and has a lot of issues with massive deposit buildup. If you start early and clean the intake valves frequently, you may not need to manually remove the intake manifold to clean 'em.

That's fine for older FSIs, but a number of changes were recently made to the intake system and fueling. I would skip that process until 30-50k.

Whether a certain oil *would* work or not, and I agree the delo or TDT would work fine, a new car should run spec oil to avoid warranty issues. The cost difference is minimal and it just makes sense when you just dropped a load of cash on a new car.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Well, I must be stupid. I bought another VW after a 6 year break from them.

Congrats! Did you end up ordering it or did you pick up something from the lot?

I sat in one recently (did not drive it). Definitely something I could get used to, alas, I'm not planning to buy another car for some time. But if I was, the GTI would be high on my list.

One of my local dealers had a 2 door with all the options I was looking for. Cloth, 6 speed, 18 inch wheels, xenons, Dynaudio, Carbon steel color.

I got it for invoice through my work, supplier program.

This is what VW dealers are using now. I think they don't even carry the Castrol 5W-40 anymore.

CastrolLSX_5w30.JPG

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Mobil 1 0w-40 at 5k intervals.

Every 5,000 miles, be sure to run a can of Seafoam or Amsoil PowerFoam through the intake to clean the intake valves. The 2.0T is direct-injected and has a lot of issues with massive deposit buildup. If you start early and clean the intake valves frequently, you may not need to manually remove the intake manifold to clean 'em.

That's fine for older FSIs, but a number of changes were recently made to the intake system and fueling. I would skip that process until 30-50k.

From all I've read on vwvortex, those changes have not eliminated the problem with valve deposits, alas, it's still relatively early to pass final judgment I suppose.

The TSI and FSI are different engines from what I read. I will fill up with Shell V Power every tank. Then I will use Redline fuel system cleaner the tank before the OCI.

I love where they put the oil filter on the TSI.

Page-23.jpeg

Yikes! You'd better have a filter with an *excellent* ADBV with it upside down like that.

I guess you won't be using any aftermarket filters as this looks like a custom fit. In which case, they probably have the ADBV all figured out.

One of my local dealers had a 2 door with all the options I was looking for. Cloth, 6 speed, 18 inch wheels, xenons, Dynaudio, Carbon steel color.

I got it for invoice through my work, supplier program.

[/quote]

Nice car. I've been an Audi/VW fan for ages, though I've only ever had experience with a 2000 Beetle 2.0 and a 2003 Jetta 1.8T. You may want to invest in a VAG-COM if you like playing around (and clearing check engine lights).

Good job finding one with cloth. I'm not a big fan of leather, though the last two cars I've owned have come with it by default (i.e. you want the NAV, you get the leather..sheesh).

Then I will use Redline fuel system cleaner the tank before the OCI.

Considering the fact that in a direct injection engine the valves aren't washed off by fuel, I wonder how helpful this will be.

Considering the fact that in a direct injection engine the valves aren't washed off by fuel, I wonder how helpful this will be.

my exact thoughts.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I guess you won't be using any aftermarket filters as this looks like a custom fit. In which case, they probably have the ADBV all figured out.

Wix, Purolator, Baldwin ..they all have this filter.

Hi,
Finklejag - IMO you would be best served by living with the free service arrangement and so protect your Warranty. There is no need for an early OC

VW-AUDI Dealers here use Castrol synthetics!

Your car has been well received down here. I have a couple of friends that have had 944S2 Porsches from new - both are about to buy one!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I did not know that
grin2.gif

One of the main reasons I'm addicted to BITOG... new info!

Originally Posted By: Rand

my exact thoughts.

+3

Not all dealers are using the SLX 5w-30. It's quite a bit more expensive than the 5w-40. The dealers around here are still using the 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I did not know that
grin2.gif

One of the main reasons I'm addicted to BITOG... new info!

Oh ..it's "new". I think it's been in the oil filter section for a few days. Don't feel like you missed last ice age or anything like that.
55.gif
All of those filter manufacturers may not in fact have them to sell yet. They do have the part numbers for them. It was the same when GM went to the 22x1.5mm thread with in filter bypass valve. The information was in advance of availability.

Finklejag,

You have bought one of the most fun cars on the planet IMO! I preferred driving the GTI over my boxster S which is the primary reason I sold it. This car will treat you well if you treat it well and pay attention to the weak spots of DI engines (fuel dilution and valve deposits).

I have been studying these engines and oils used in them for quite a while now and here is my advice:
1) Absolutely do not use dino.
2) Absolutely avoid the dealer unless you have no other choice.
3) Use a shear stable, low volatility oil.
4) I would not go over 5000 miles unless you are driving nearly all highway miles.
5) Re: DI valve deposits would suggest either solving the problem directly (not treating the symptoms) or resolve to use a good maintenance regimen as shown in some of the threads below. The shell gasoline and fuel injector cleaner won't buy you anything in terms of the valve deposit problem.

We have over 50 UOAs on the 2.0FSI engine which gives a very good indication for the TSI, although they are of course not the same engine. The DI, valve deposits, and oil issue have been discussed at great length here and on VW vortex.

502 oils are not cutting it in the FSI and it's a good bet they won't cut it in the TSI. I don't have time to hunt down all the threads relating to oil and this engine but here are a few tidbits:

Here is what happens when you simply take it on authority that the owners manual is correct. Those recommendations are based either on European testing where these engines run in lean stratified mode (thus having vastly different fuel diltion issues)or based on marketing or both. For example this U.S. 2.0FSI ran 502 approved M1 0W40 according to the manual, changing every 10k miles:

glivalves.jpg

Here is a recent 2.0 FSI UOA w/ discussion:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1694792#Post1694792

A few direct injection valve problem threads and related:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1574495

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...445#Post1660445

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...263#Post1414263

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1590056&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1517690&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1325647#Post1325647

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...469#Post1171469

I am absolutely nuts for the MKVI GTI, but the DI/Oil/Dealer problems have me very nervous. Too many risks for a brand new car.

Keep us updated on the maintenance and experience with this vehicle. I have a feeling that being proactive is they key to these vehicles.

Enjoy the new GTI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back