How much better is Schaeffer's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would appreciate your guys advice on this one. I have this salesman that's trying to get me to sell me Schaeffer products for use on our farm. I mean he had some demonstrations and it does seem like a much better product, but costs more than twice what we are paying for oil and grease products now. He said we'd be able to run twice as long change intervals, but when the alternative is half the cost, does that really make it worth it? I'm already doing some pretty long change intervals, generally 300-400 hours and get back goood oil analysis results. On some equipment, I'm already running better than 600 hours with great analysis. Blackstone advises going further on most these but haven't got that far yet. If oil has a decent additvie package that can hold together, seems like most engine wear comes from contaminants more than anything else. Currently we're running Service Pro 15w-40 CI-4 Plus.

Many folks on the board swear by Schaeffer's, and I'm sure it's all that and then some. Twice the price and you're doing well with your present lube? Not a bargain IMHO. You should ask Blackstone if they think you'll have different results with CJ-4 oil, as it will push CI out of the market in the near future. THEN maybe it's time to rethink Schaeffer.

In your case, I would just stick with what you have.

I find it interesting that it is citgo-based Service Pro that is doing so well....

It's really up to you, sounds like either way would be a good plan.

I use Schaeffer's in everything and my vehicles run better with it vs. other products. I also get it for a great price, which helps.

Schaeffers is a very well respected product line, for good reason.

That being said, I also like the fact that you're looking at this from a truly analytical view, and from the proper perspective.

You question "is it worth it?" to switch, is only anwerable by you, not us. As you've indicated, you would be able to double your OCIs, but at double the cost. So, fiscally, it's a wash. You neither gain nor lose in that perspective. It's unlikely you'll get "better" wear reduction from Schaeffers; you likely will get LONGER wear protection. So the OCI determins cost factor. If the relationship is proportional (2x $ = 2x OCI, etc), then you can and should use other factors to help determine. But, don't ONLY look at the oil; there are other costs to each type of plan.

For example, if the oil can go 2x further, what about your filter plan? You'll either have to match up "better" filters, or plan to change the filters at mid OCI. If you filter longer, you might look at bypass systems. But again, you're adding costs that have to initialized and amoritized.

Also, what about your effort level in the maintenance plan? How much of an inconvenience is it to OCI often, or less-often? Some people (including myself) like to PM our equipment; helps us feel "in touch" with the machinery. If you can't keep your hands off the wrenches, then changing oil too often will ultimately not help the pocket book. OTOH, if you find OCIs as a burden, the longer OCIs with a premium oil will help you out.

Don't forget about the cost of UOAs along with longer OCIs as well. At some point, you do have added costs, even with the longer PM plans.

It's not for us to tell you which is "worth it"; it's our opportunity to help you analyze the pro's/con's and make your own determination.

Last edited:
Have you factored in fuel economy? Hydraulic leaks? Grease? What about Wet-Sol? The whole package comes into play.

I have used schaffers, it is a good product but I use servicepro now it is a great oil for the money! UOA are just as good with servicepro for less than half the cost.

Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with the Service Pro product. I really liked the way that the Schaeffer's grease looked so I'm still a little uncertain on that one but I think I'm going to stick with the Service Pro engine oil/hydraulic oils. Thanks to all for their input.

Should probably have this over on the "oil additives" forum but I'll ask here since I've already started. What about using some of that Schaeffer's #132 oil treatment? Looks like it has much the same benefits as the Schaeffer's oil at a fraction of the cost.

132 is a nice product, but not designed to replace our oil. It is a Polymer viscosity improver with some moly and penetro, but not as much as the oil.

It might make sense if you can tell the reduced fuel cost. I just got back my Amsoil uoa for my pickup and the test says the oil is good for continued use but retest in 7k mi. The oil has 46k on it. Real synthetics is cheaper in the long run. I'm sure you will see easier starts in cold, a little less fuel and don't have to monkey around changing oil as much. I'm sure Schaefers is as good as Amsoil.

ihookem,

what has been the % change in viscosity over your service interval? While thickening is welcomed shearing is not. I do not like thickening as my gut instinct is that it can play with fuel economy as was my experience with German Castrol (GC) 0W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ihookem1
It might make sense if you can tell the reduced fuel cost. I just got back my Amsoil uoa for my pickup and the test says the oil is good for continued use but retest in 7k mi. The oil has 46k on it. Real synthetics is cheaper in the long run. I'm sure you will see easier starts in cold, a little less fuel and don't have to monkey around changing oil as much. I'm sure Schaefers is as good as Amsoil.
How many people run syn oils enough to get the advantages they pay extra for .

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Many:
Everyone who lives in a climate with winter temps below -15F., in other words virtually everyone in Alaska, Canada east of Vancouver, the northern Plains, New England, the upper Midwest, the northern Mountain states...

Charlie

Originally Posted By: ihookem1

Am I misreading this? 46K oci on Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: Steve S

Many:
Everyone who lives in a climate with winter temps below -15F., in other words virtually everyone in Alaska, Canada east of Vancouver, the northern Plains, New England, the upper Midwest, the northern Mountain states...

Charlie
what % is that? The ultra oils are there for those who have need for the ultra part.

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread. Yes, I had 46k on my Amsoil series 3000 5w30. The uoa said it was good for continued use but changed it anyway because some add. were getting somewhat low and the vis. was 12.3. So going into winter I changed cause new oil is 11.7 vis.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with the Service Pro product. I really liked the way that the Schaeffer's grease looked so I'm still a little uncertain on that one but I think I'm going to stick with the Service Pro engine oil/hydraulic oils. Thanks to all for their input.

I know I am posting this two months after yours but a possibility came to mind.

You could try changing over a couple of tractors/vehicles over to Schaeffer's along with doing an oil analysis. That way you can see first hand if there is a benefit in your application/situation. FWIW, Schaeffer's oil analysis kits run $11 and they give 3 free oil analysis kits for orders over $500 and any order over $350 is free shipping,something to consider. From a customer service standpoint - your Schaeffer's sales rep will also receive a copy of your oil analysis reports - so you will have the lab and the sales rep reviewing your UOA reports. Schaeffer's lab also has a very proactive approach - whenever a UOA report shows a severe problem they call the customer to make them aware of the situation before any further damage occurs.

In addition, Schaeffer's also runs a winter fuel program. I assume you purchase your fuel in bulk - you can send in a sample ($30) and have your fuel tested for the cloud point & cold filter plug point. Comes in handy when living in a northern climate. Here is an example:

2dieselwith137ULSW.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back