PhoCo Box Clean-Up

Posted by: sleddriver

PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/20/14 01:43 PM

I've been using a temp piece of CAT5 from the router out the window to the PhoCo demarc-box as my cheap POTS 2-pair that's > 30+ years has aged so bad the insulation has broken down, causing shorts. It's not even suitable for the phone, much less ADSL.

Yesterday, I opened the box and noticed all the brass was very dull looking and there were signs of green corrosion in the threads. I began by removing all the wires, nuts, washers and spraying them with Cramolin Red (DeOxit) in a small container while I worked. I chucked a small wire-wheel brush into the moto-tool and used it to clean the threads and everything else until it was shiny brass again. Then applied Cramolin Blue (PreserveIt) before reassembly.

I also wanted to run a new line into the attic space where I could distribute it as needed. I discovered the 1/2" pvc conduit would fit perfectly inside the half-collar fitting on the bottom of the box and could be held in place with a couple of zip ties. I used a couple of 90 elbows as I didn't have room for sweeps and ran the conduit up the wall.

Climbed into the attic with two CAT5 cables where I plan on the home-run location and routed them through the trusses to the hole I made through the siding. (This is the time of year to work in a central Tx attic!). That done I slipped them through the outside conduit and into the box. I left it all unconnected as it was quitting time.

I need to locate a punch-down block and a phone/ADSL splitter to wire in at the home-run location. I have a centrally located closet where the upflow HVAC unit is so I think I'll use a wall inside for it. It will be nice to get this job behind me.

I've removed the lightning arrestor to clean the terminals. The main ground is still attached at the bottom of the brass buss bar. Note the installation of the 1/2" pvc conduit on the bottom left, held in place with a zip tie. Using conduit looks nicer and will protect the CAT5 cable from the elements and Sun.

Here's a close-up of the conduit connection. This looks neater than individual wires/cable exiting. I search for some sort of strain-relief to adapt to this fitting, then realized that the conduit itself might just fit.

A bit dark as I underexposed to compensate for the direct Sunlight. Note the now shiny brass connections.

Ready for hook-up.
Posted by: OVERKILL

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/20/14 01:49 PM

Very similar to how I have mine setup. My run is short (maybe 2ft) into my basement, where it runs into a Corning VDSL2 splitter. I'd recommend the same unit for you.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/20/14 01:51 PM

Thanks for the advice Chris!

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/20/14 02:08 PM

Found this page helpful for DIY'ers.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/20/14 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Very similar to how I have mine setup. My run is short (maybe 2ft) into my basement, where it runs into a Corning VDSL2 splitter. I'd recommend the same unit for you.

Next time I see an ATT truck in the neighborhood, I'm going to ask if my Demarc Box can be upgraded and an ADSL splitter installed in it. I've heard they do this for U-verse subscribers.

I'll also call ATT tomorrow and ask about getting this upgrade. They may do it for free. Then I could use part of a block for voice and the rest for data.

What do you think?

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/20/14 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Next time I see an ATT truck in the neighborhood, I'm going to ask if my Demarc Box can be upgraded and an ADSL splitter installed in it. I've heard they do this for U-verse subscribers.

I'll also call ATT tomorrow and ask about getting this upgrade. They may do it for free. Then I could use part of a block for voice and the rest for data.

What do you think?

I think that's a great idea. I bought the splitter ($20.00) because Bell wouldn't have done that for me since I don't use their service wink That and I figured I'd do a better wiring job.

Buying a NID with a built-in splitter was a lot more money, so this route made the most sense to me.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/22/14 02:40 PM

ATT wants $100 to come out and install one of these splitters in the NID so I told them no thanks. Been calling around locally and can't seem to find them in-stock. Have yet to encounter an ATT truck to ask for one. May not be worth the hassle!

Picked up both a 66 & half-of-a-110 block yesterday. The 66 block is cert 5e and made in the USA by Seimon, the 110 cheap asian. So I'm leaning towards the former. I don't have a basement, so I'll install the block in the HVAC closet. Also wondering if I should move the router into the same area instead of the floor behind the desktop confuser?

I'm looking at maybe three points of distribution: office, kitchen, living room with voice + data at each.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/22/14 03:13 PM

ATT wants $100 to come out and install one of these splitters in the NID so I told them no thanks. Been calling around locally and can't seem to find them in-stock. Have yet to encounter an ATT truck to ask for one. May not be worth the hassle!

Picked up both a 66 & half-of-a-110 block yesterday. The 66 block is cert 5e and made in the USA by Seimon, the 110 cheap asian. So I'm leaning towards the former. I don't have a basement, so I'll install the block in the HVAC closet. Also wondering if I should move the router into the same area instead of the floor behind the desktop confuser?

I'm looking at maybe three points of distribution: office, kitchen, living room with voice + data at each.

Here's the one for inside the NID:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corning-SPS-SA1-...=item19e53d8016

Here is the one I have:

http://catalog.corning.com/CableSystems/...0&vid=23291

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/22/14 03:59 PM

where did you buy yours? I've called several distributers locally who Corning lists on their website and they don't have a clue nor stock these. Can't even give me a price. It's getting to be more trouble than it's worth. I can always wire the punch block so to add one later as this is holding me up. Thanks for chiming in.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/22/14 04:01 PM

where did you buy yours? I've called several distributers locally who Corning lists on their website and they don't have a clue nor stock these. Can't even give me a price. It's getting to be more trouble than it's worth. I can always wire the punch block so to add one later as this is holding me up. Thanks for chiming in.

My local ISP stocks them, LOL! They are around $20.00.

Can't you just order it online?

They also carry this one: TII 80-410V

Which works just as well.

You could buy it on-line from here:
http://www.shop.dsl-filters.com/product.sc?productId=77

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/22/14 04:16 PM

My local ISP stocks them, LOL! They are around $20.00. They also carry this one: TII 80-410V Which works just as well. You could buy it on-line from here:
http://www.shop.dsl-filters.com/product.sc?productId=77

Wow your ISP stocks them? No joy down here from ATT. I may get lucky if I see one of their service trucks stopped.

I'm not exactly expecting an improvement over what I currently have as its a 10ft piece of Cat5 from the MODEM to the demarc box! So I want to re-route it through the attic and down the wall to replace the old 2-pair. My medium speed dsl 6Mb/sec down works fine for me and is only $20/month. Thanks for the link.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/22/14 06:46 PM

Update: Plan C brought me luck...

I decided to go for a bike ride to get away from the confuser and lo and behold, I came across an ATT U-verse truck in the neighborhood. The tech walked up 5 min. later. I asked if he happened to have any of the ADSL splitters that go in the NID and he replied SURE!!

He gave me an updated model of the one I'd been searching for: Tii95S-1-12

He also gave me an AFL DM000535 NID VDSL POTS splitter and mentioned that it probably wasn't compatible with ADSL.

Not sure which is these is 'better' as I don't have VDSL or ADSL+ service. However, my thanks to the generosity of the U-verse installer I came across. So I'm back in business with no further delays. Whoo-Hoo!

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/22/14 08:30 PM

Fantastic thumbsup Great score! And I would bet either will work fine with your service.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/23/14 10:36 AM

The cold Canadian air arrived on-time this a.m. and looks to stay around a few days at least. Now I can get back up in the attic and do some work.

That was a great score. The truck guys have always been helpful.
Cheers2
Cheers & Beers

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/25/14 01:49 PM

Update:
Decided to go with a 100-pair 66-block for connection/distribution use. I'd also like to mount the ATT-supplied 7550 router next to the 66B for convienence. This will also place it higher off the ground, so signal strength might improve. Maybe. I can easily run a 110Vac outlet as well to provide modem power.

I'd like to distribute a CAT5 cable to each of 5 places. The modem has 4 10/100 ports with RJ45 connectors. From what I understand 10/100 = ethernet, which means it needs all 4 pairs to function. Correct?

So the DATA signal from the DSL splitter in the demarc box is connected to the modem through the 66B. Then the 10/100 ports will each need to be run to 4 of those locations, leaving one out. So I'll need two CAT5 cables to each jack: one containing VOICE and the other 10/100. Correct?

I understand that all LT's now have wireless ethernet cards and maybe still have 10/100 wired ports. But not a DSL modem inside. So I can't feed it a 2-wire DATA line from the splitter and get DSL. Instead it needs either a wireless ethernet or to be plugged into a 10/100 outlet. Correct?

The first round of figuring I thought I'd just distribute VOICE and DATA to each location. But a modem would still be required at that location to enable DSL. Further, these 'isolated' modems wouldn't communicate with each other either.

So if I put the 4-port modem next to the block, then I could distribute an additional cable to each jack and the 4 of them would be on the same network.

Most of the time, I'm using a single desktop plugged straight into the modem and I keep the radio disabled. Occasionally, I light up another desktop to do some Autocad/photoshop work. When I need to transfer files or to print, I plug it into one of the 4 10/100 ports. Nothing in the media center uses ethernet (yet), but perhaps I should plan on a cable there.

I can always have more 10/100 cables than ports, and either get a switch or just move them around as needed. I do have a spare Netgear N150 wireless router (WNR1000) that might be able to be used in dumb mode as a switch, not sure.

Before I start punching the block, I want to lay this all out first. While I can send DATA through the same cable as VOICE to each jack, I'm not sure what good it will do as I'll have to install a modem at that point to use DSL.

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/25/14 02:58 PM

You want the data port isolated BY ITSELF, with no other loads on the line. The lesser the load, the better the signal. That's what the DSL splitter does, it isolates the DSL line from the loads inside the house (every foot of cable counts as a load) and you are supposed to put the modem as close to that isolated connection as possible. Mine is about 2ft away over CAT 6+. The ONLY thing that is supposed to connect to that port is a DSL modem (or modems if you are using link aggregation and multiple pairs but I'm assuming you aren't, LOL!)

Essentially, you want your DSL modem at the splitter, which you want close to or inside the NID. The whole idea is to reduce loop length and loads to get the best signal and thus the best negotiated link rate without drops. The clearer the line the higher you can push the sync rate RCO before drops happen. I'm at 99% RCO (24/4Mbit) but I never have any drops, ever, because of how clean the line is and how I have it setup.

From that point you can distribute using Ethernet. If you want to light up internal jacks for data use, assuming you have a router, you'd have it at your distribution point and plumb runs to the jacks you want live. My distribution point is my office desk, which then has the CAT 6+ plumbed back from my switch to the various distribution points in the house.

I can put it in a VISIO diagram if that helps you at all?

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/25/14 03:02 PM

Also, on a 4-pair cable, only two pairs are used for data with 10/100, to use all 4 pairs requires Gig-E.

What this translates into is that if you wanted to run data from a switch or modem with an integrated switch over the same CAT5/5e/6/6+ cable as the POTS service you could.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/25/14 03:56 PM

OK...got that. I'll have the splitter in the NIC. The DATA pair will go to the 66B about 20' away where it'll go into the modem. From there it'll be ethernet CAT5 to jacks around the house.

To be sure I'm clear re: your second post....ethernet is only 2 pairs. So I could run a pair for VOICE over the same cable? Really? Didn't think that would fly. It might be more work though trying to integrate it into one cable, than pulling two.

Else I'd have to take a cable, put an RJ45 on it to fit the jack on the modem, split out the two pairs on the 66B, run a pair over for VOICE then take that out on a new single cable. Punching isn't THAT much fun....still I'll think about it though it might be best to keep the two systems separate and run one color CAT5 for VOICE and another color for 10/100 ethernet.

Any on-line guides wiring guides you could recommend? Thanks for your time assisting me with this!

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/25/14 04:04 PM

Here's one that shows the cable sets:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

I always use 568B just because it was the one I memorized many many moons ago.

I like to separate my services, so while I wouldn't run ethernet/POTS over the same cable unless I had to (and I have had to) I just wanted you to know that it was in fact possible smile

Personally I'd pick up a cheap patch panel from Craigslist or something and use that for your Ethernet distribution. I have a pile of them in my basement from wiring jobs, they come in handy periodically.

I like your idea with using the different colours. That's what we usually do. And then do different colours of Ethernet for different VLAN's, subnets or patches depending on the network.

I like using white for voice and then blue as the base colour for Ethernet. Mixing it up with red, yellow, green, baby blue, black.....etc as needed.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/25/14 04:39 PM

I use 565B as well. I just finished punching blu/org/grn/brn pair jumpers down the right side of the block to distribute VOICE. I only have one phone line, but wanted to punch all pairs to avoid complications later.

I'll be looking for a cheap patch panel. I'll post a note in my ham club.

I wonder what the speed degradation would be, or if it would even work, if I punched ethernet on a 66B? Never been there before. Just POTS. I'll have to 'break-out' two pair and try it on a block, check speeds then compare to an uninterrupted cable.

BTW, both ADSL splitters fit in my NID, so no worries there though I would have been surprised if they didn't. Not sure what the inside of one of the U-verse boxes looks like. Maybe the same.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 01/31/14 07:13 PM

Update IV:
Here's my 50-pair 66B so far:

The CAT5 blue cable on the left represents the four incoming pairs from the demarc box. Though all won't be used, I punched them down anyway for backup and to allow for future expansion.

The right side is looped down to distribute VOICE to five outlets. This is plenty for my small one-story house. I ran another CAT5 cable to the demarc box for the DATA line. I'll terminate the end and plug it straight into the Westell 7550 modem/4-port router ATT supplied. Then I'll terminate CAT5 cables with RJ-45's and run these with the VOICE cable to each outlet.

I also have a Netgear N150 Wireless Router I'd used in conjuction with an old Motorola ADSL modem..which expired after overheating itself too many times. Would have made a nice coffee warmer...in Alaska.

I can conenct the Netgear with the Westell and have four more LAN ports if need be, either at the hub or on one of the distribution points. Haven't decided yet.

I also discovered an unused 4-outlet RatShack 110 power strip in the junk box I'll use to distribute power at the hub. I've already found a piece of ply to attach to the studs in the HVAC closet. I also have some 2" pvc conduit I can use to bring the two cables into the closet. I've decided to extend the conduit high enough in the attic as I intend to run the cables up near the roof to avoid them being stepped on down near the insulation. I have some galvanized wire hangers left over from an old job I'll use to hang the cables.

I also discovered some RG-6QS cable guides that should work well in routing the CAT5 cables without constricting them. My roof is trussed, so I'll have to run the cable down the trusses and secure it in place. No doubt it would be far easier to just lay it down on top of the insulation, but it wouldn't be protected and sooner or later it would be in the way...just like the big 12ga Romex the electrician laid this way! What a PITA that is at times.

My secret tool for snaking a pull rope is ball chain. Very inexpensive and very...slinky...plus it's magnetic. I have a wand with a magnet on the end and you can hit any part of the ball chain and it'll follow the wand. No more trying to snag some wire you can't see inside a wall with a hook bent the wrong direction!

I'll post more photos as I progress.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/05/14 11:41 PM

Update V:
Spent several hours on this project this evening. It's a pleasant 35F in the attic, which is quite comfortable when wearing a bunny suit, headsock and a dust mask while moving from truss to truss.

I used a piece of 2" pvc conduit I found in my scrap bin that was just the perfect length to make a wire chase from the HVAC closet up through the attic floor. I carefully chose where to drill out the ceiling sheetrock as I didn't want to trip over any wires and I didn't want the conduit coming through the ceiling straight into an AC/heat duct.

I found a suitable location, bored the hole with a 2" hole-saw bit and slid the conduit into the closet from above. I added a piece of 5/8" wood behind it on the closet wall, secured it to the studs, then secured the conduit to the wood using two half-rings. This provides surprisingly firm support from below as I would have to add several inches of blocking above between it and truss support.

I started with a common, interior wall between a bedroom and office to pull the first cables. I used a metal hacksaw blade in a very handy frame made by Lennox to cut through the nails attaching the electrical box to the stud. I needed access to the wall cavity and you don't need a box with a back for low-voltage.

I thought I might get lucky using the old POTS wire as a pull cable but no joy as it was nailed in place. I bored a new 5/8" hole in the (double) top plate while in the attic, dropped the ball-chain in, then made another trip down the ladder.

I tied a 10' piece of pull cord onto the ball chain, then tied the pull cord onto two CAT5 cables. Ball-chain really isn't strong enough to pull cable with. Attaching the cord between the two saves me a ladder round trip as I can pull up the ball-chain, grab the pull cord, then pull up the cable.

I ran a cable pair to the nearest truss chord, crossed some power cables at 90 and attached it to the chord with nylon zip ties and some RG-6QS guides designed not to pinch. Up at the top near the roof peak, I nailed in some galvanized wire rings to support the cable and keep it out of the way. Though this method takes longer, it's worth it to protect the cable, get it off the attic floor where it can interfere with adding insulation, can be stepped on, easily snagged, etc.

Once I had enough slack, I threaded it through, around and down the 2" conduit into the HVAC closet.

I'd mounted a piece of 3/4" plywood I had on hand to the wall, screwing it to the wall studs. Then I mounted the 66B, and an old Rat Shack 4-outlet power strip. Later I'll mount the Westell modem/router here.

Now that I have all the necessary tools staged, the other drops will go much faster. Stay tuned!

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/15/14 11:36 AM

Update VI:
The last few days have been rather warm...not to mention in the attic. Yesterday it hit 81F! I was sweating in the attic while drilling the top plate for the kitchen wire drop. Not used to that!

I had a heck of a time finding the right wall cavity and it finally occured to me to remove the fir-down (soffit) cover I installed a few years ago to block off cold/hot air from getting inside the open space.

Lo and behold, there was another "header" down below that my drill couldn't reach. I slid in a 6' glow-rod, and once downstairs found it in the opening. Success! I tied a pull cord to it then the PC to a pair of cables, climbed back in the attic, then pulled them through.

I added a few more wire rings where necessary to support the cables and extended it over to the wiring closet.

The top white jack is for Voice and the bottom red one for 100baseT LAN.

Today I plan on staying out of the attic (and heat), terminating cable inside. It'll be nice to have this all buttoned up.

BTW, any suggested tests to run (besides speed) to compare my temp wire to the new?

Thanks for reading....

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/15/14 02:56 PM

Depending on the modem, you may be able to get some useful statistics from it like RCO, attenuation, SNR...etc.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/15/14 04:18 PM

Depending on the modem, you may be able to get some useful statistics from it like RCO, attenuation, SNR...etc.

From your other post, I thought you might be out shooting today! I enjoy shooting as well...since I was about 5. No longer have any ranch land in the family though and I miss it.

Back to the topic at hand....just finished terminating several cables and I'm now connected via my new wiring/filter/connections, etc! All is working well. Now just need to hook up the Voice line.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/15/14 06:18 PM

From your other post, I thought you might be out shooting today! I enjoy shooting as well...since I was about 5. No longer have any ranch land in the family though and I miss it.

Back to the topic at hand....just finished terminating several cables and I'm now connected via my new wiring/filter/connections, etc! All is working well. Now just need to hook up the Voice line.

Had two of the kids today (wife took the other to a party) and so we couldn't go out into the bush. Only ended up firing off the .22 frown

Wanted to take the .308 out today, so I was rather disappointed that I couldn't.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/15/14 07:24 PM

Had two of the kids today (wife took the other to a party) and so we couldn't go out into the bush. Only ended up firing off the .22 frown

Wanted to take the .308 out today, so I was rather disappointed that I couldn't.

The VOICE line is now hooked up and working! I'm currently paying for 6Mb/sec down, however a recent speedtest with new wiring indicates only 5.1Mb/sec. Would be nice to have it a bit faster...closer to 6.

I can quickly go back to the 'way it was' to do comparisons, which will be interesting. For now though it's great to be able to close the office window and remove the rotted foam and celebrate checking this task off of my 'get 'round to it' list.

Yee Haw!
Cheers & Beers!
Cheers1

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/15/14 08:06 PM

Appropriate, as I just cracked a Holsten, LOL! cheers

Do you know if your modem can give you any of the information I mentioned earlier? I think I asked you about the make/model before but I'm too lazy to go back and look grin

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/16/14 04:56 PM

ATT issued me a Westell 7550 ADSL2+Router. Model # is B90-755025-15.

I did check the 'tech info' tab inside briefly. I'll check again when I have more time and let you know.

Thanks for the support!

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/18/14 12:58 PM

Do you know if your modem can give you any of the information I mentioned earlier?

Current ATTN DR (Rx/Tx) 7644/996
___"___SNRM _________24.2/14
___"___LATN____________20/16
___"___SATN__________20.6/16
___"___TP____________15.7/11.9

Unable to find "RCO". What is it?

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/18/14 02:59 PM

RCO is the percentage of available line space you currently occupy. I'm at 99%, LOL wink

So for example if you are able to synch at 14Mbit but are rate limited to 7Mbit, you'd be using 50% RCO smile

SNR looks decent, I was able to drop 2dB with the install I did that was similar to yours. Any idea on what it was before the revamp?

To give you examples, here's my current sync (VDSL2):

Sync before I went VDSL2 (ADSL 2+):

I'll see if I can dig up the Cisco one, as it looks a bit different (when I was using an ADSL2+ HWIC instead of the stand-alone modem).

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/18/14 04:02 PM

140___Current Rate: ____6016
142___DSL Max Rate: 716029

My Max allowed speed is 6016. Speedtest reveals I'm getting about 5100 so RCO would be 85%. Correct? Not sure what line 142 is. 716Mb/s?

I did check some previous stats and they were very, very close. 6/8 were the same number. Remember that I previously used a straight CAT5 cable from the modem/router, out the window to the demarc box about 6m away. It would be very hard to improve on that.

I had to completely give up on the 33yr. old POTS 2-pair wire in the house as it began to short in places as the Texas heat & ozone degraded the wiring insulation. It would just crumble in your hands. Even a wired phone sounded horrible. My ADSL just went Tango Uniform one day, thus the quick, emergency wire-out-the-window solution.

I'll pull a few more drops for both Voice and LAN, though the former might be unnecessary. Might as well while I'm in the attic and have room on the punch-block.

I'll post more 'old' info if I run across it. Thanks.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/18/14 04:37 PM

Would make more sense if 142 was 7,160 shrug

You can't use the speedtest results to determine RCO. There's always some loss over sync speed vs observed speed due to the PPPoE encapsulation.

If we pretend the 7160 is your max line speed, that gives us an 84% RCO FWIW. smile

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/27/14 04:31 PM

When connecting a Netgear N150 wireless router to the above Westell, is it as easy as connecting the yellow "modem" port on the N150 to one of the 4 ports on the Westell? What I want to do is 'chain' the two together so I'll have 4 more wired ports via the N150.

I've been looking over the N150 manual and haven't seen this discussed. Then again I'm not sure what you'd call this either.

My office has a Dell dsktp I rarely use. When I do light it though and wish to print, I have to connect it to my main dsktp where the printer is. Previously, this meant about 10' of cable as the Westell router was close to the main dsktp.

Now it's away in a closet. I've considered pulling another cable to the office and installing another jack for it. Or I could set up the N150 in the office per above if it's possible to chain these two routers together.

Please advise.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/27/14 05:09 PM

No, you will want to disable the DHCP server on the Netgear, assign it an IP in the same subnet as the Westell, and then plug one of its LAN ports into the Westell, not using the WAN port.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/27/14 06:09 PM

OK. Glad to hear this is possible. Thanks. I have one more room to pull, then I'll be done and I can cross this task off of my to-do list. cheers

Then I can get back to more 'ceiling sealing' and laying down fiberglass in the attic. That'll really be nice to finish that one.

Received yet another cold front from your way last night...it was 28F here this morning...after being 75F a day or so earlier! Weather changes faster here than dogs run in West Texas...

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/27/14 10:30 PM

It is -16C here right now (3 degrees Fahrenheit), want me to send that down? LOL!!! grin

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 02/28/14 10:02 AM

You could put some in cold storage, then send it air-mail along about July! Talk about a breath of fresh (cold) air! It's always nice to have an unexpected cool front down here during the Summer!

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 03/03/14 05:16 PM

Update VI:
I've now finished pulling all the wire and terminating the ends. All outlets have been tested and work.

The last task was to tap into 110VAC. Fortunately, the door bell transformer was close at hand just above the inside AC unit in the same closet I was working in. By removing the transformer and installing an outlet, I'd be all set. Don't really need the doorbell anyway in a small house.

Here's my finished installation. I pulled cable to the entertainment center for future use, leaving it coiled up above. The punch block makes for a neat wiring installation and distribution of the VOICE lines. I can also easily add other drops as there's still room. I can also disconnect the house wiring from the PhoCo here to isolate any problems and during an electrical storm, simply by removing the two bridge clips at the top of the block and removing the cable to the modem/router.

For now I decided not to install the Netgear modem/router as the additional ports are not needed. There is plenty of room though 'on-the-board'.

I used up quite a bit of room in the 2" conduit. You can see I left a glow rod in place to make it easier to pull any additional cable through it. For now I've stuffed a piece of foam into the end to restrict airflow from the attic. Not sure if there's a better way to seal this open end.

Lastly, here's an updated photo of the DeMarc box showing the xDSL splitter installed. Pink is DATA and blue is VOICE. Very glad to have this project behind me, be able to fully close my office window and have new, updated info-wiring installed!
Posted by: antiqueshell

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 03/03/14 09:48 PM

Wow. Really nice work.

I've been trying to get ATT to repair my NID so that I can sign up for basic DSL.

I have tried and tried and tried, and even though this home is in the ATT ordering system and is in a residential development with lots of other homes wired for ATT service I CANNOT get them to repair the NID. I'v tried to get service twice over the past several years 2011, and currently.

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 03/03/14 10:04 PM

Thanks for the compliments!

You might have better luck contacting ATT's customer retention dept @ 866-240-7221. They have more 'pull' to make things happen.
Posted by: antiqueshell

Re: PhoCo Box Clean-Up - 03/03/14 11:01 PM

Thanks for the compliments!

You might have better luck contacting ATT's customer retention dept @ 866-240-7221. They have more 'pull' to make things happen.

Thanks for the suggestion sled.

I have been in contact with the Office of The President who supposedly was going to solve this issue. I was told to put an order in for service, which I did, the person told me I didn't have to prepay after initially being told I needed to provide them with a social security number...I offered to pay, but then the person says no you don't have to, wait until they repair the NID then pay and have the service started. I have an account number and an order number, but I call back and they claim there is something wrong with the account.

I'm going to send a return receipt requested snail mail to one of the top executives at the corporate HQ in TX this week. It is beyond ridiculous at this point.