Karate vs. Tae Kwon Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
TKD high kicks are not well suited to NHB fighting, but great for looking good and sport.

Quote:

Kinda silly. A .45 would have brought both down real quick.

Only true if you have one at the right moment. And can get it on target before getting your booty handed to you.
But that's kinda not the point. Notice the ring, ropes, ref, etc.? Not real life, just a contest of different styles of martial art.
grin.gif

Okay, I'm confused. Back when I was a student under (now) Master Pat Burleson he taught Tae Kwon Do which was considered a karate style/discipline. When did they become two separate martial arts? I guess competion also has changed in that length of time, because we were taught take-down techniques as a matter of course. None of that "grab each other and wait for the ref's call" nonsense. But then, Pat was the old school, real world type of fighting instructor. As he was fond of saying, "There's no such thing as a fair fight."

Well, all styles used to get lumped together as "karate" (usually pronounced kuradeee).
TKD has it's own competitions and rules, but many guys "fight" in open tournaments too.
These days, it's a game of tag, unless you find some of the AAU events that allow hard contact to the body.
I was lucky enough to encounter Joe Lewis several times. He's awesome, if you get past his arrogance.
These days, you can get a Black Belt in a year and a half...guaranteed.
I hate those schools.
Up to the time I made shodan, my instructor had only awarded 7 or 8 black belts in 20 years, and it was not pleasant when you were tested.

Ooops. The actual answer to your question is vague, but as you know, TKD uses a lot of high kicks, while karate guys usually have fast, powerful hand techniques--but this is a very generalized statement.
You can see this in the video. I think this was a karate guy fighting a TKD guy under World TKD Federation rules: full contact below the neck, no punches to the head, no stop and start, like ppoint tournaments.
My own Kenpo teacher insisted that we learn as many techniques as we could from other styles on top of the Kenpo stuff.
Funny, though, after all that, everybody usually winds up with 2 or 3 things that become their bread and butter.

I've seen some videos of Tae Kwon Do where the practitioners are virtually flying through the air with those kicks, it's amazing. Those are the guys you see doing reverse turning kicks to the neck that knock the other guy straight down

Quote:

I've seen some videos of Tae Kwon Do where the practitioners are virtually flying through the air with those kicks, it's amazing. Those are the guys you see doing reverse turning kicks to the neck that knock the other guy straight down

That takes a lot of skill and training.
But anybody who gets hit with one of those deserves what they get.

Good point. Flying and spinning kicks look good in the movies. A good karate man (or a boxer)will step inside when you turn your back to spin and tear your head off before you can come back around with the kick.

I trained with Lewis once, and one of his black belts for 5 years. He seemed to have difficulty breaking down his knowledge for intermediate belt levels. His pupil (my instructor) was great, though.

Quote:

Quote:

That takes a lot of skill and training.
But anybody who gets hit with one of those deserves what they get.

I suspect the chap that was knocked out will keep his hands a bit higher. Oow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37NOUTOoPg

Quote:

aikido guy would've ended it quicker.

Aikido always interested me. Probably those silly Steven Seagal movies. But the guy is really good. One of the few celebrities that could actually kick some major ----.

In the link you posted, in the real world someone would have locked him up, thrown him on the ground and it would have become a grappling match. IMO. That is how it always ends up in UFC.

Don't mistake UFC for real life either.
You're right, though, grab that leg, sweep the other and pound him, but don't wallow around with him on the ground. Very often the act of being slammed onto the ground(rather than a bouncy mat)will fix someone's clock without further involvment.

Don't be too quick to believe Seagal is all that. On movie sets he has the rep of not pulling his punches and hurting the stunt men.

On one set he was bragging a little too much about how good he was "Judo" Gene LeBell, a world class instructor in grappling happend to be working the movie as a stunt coordinator. Even though he's probably 20 years Seagal's senior, he put little Steve in a triangle choke until he lost consciousness and wet his pants.

That's a little misleading. Seagal was bragging that nobody could choke him out, so Gene put him in the choke hold and out he went. That's a bit different from actually fighting it out. Seagal is quite a prick, but his Aikido skills are there.
Another prick is Van Damme, but I've seen him get his booty kicked.
The action star you don't want to mess with very much is Wesley Snipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back