Opinions about my car's previous owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I hope this post doesn't sound too strange. I purchased my car from a dealer who had it traded in from an elderly lady, who absolutely loved the car. He said that she was given the car to her by her husband, and when he passed away, she was too saddened by it to keep the car, as it reminded her of him. He actually said that she cried when she handed over the keys, and judging by the mountains of maintenance records I have from him, given to him by her, that she really cared about the car. It was in almost perfect condition with relatively low mileage for the year. I happened to be looking through the glove box and found one of her old insurance stubs, and also her phone number/address. Do you think it would be strange for me to call her and ask if she'd like to see her old car again, and all of the work I've put into restoring it, and taking care of it? Or should I just avoid the situation altogether? Any thoughts? She apparently lives in a nearby town that I happen to drive through pretty often, and it wouldn't be out of my way.

Its not uncommon for the buyer of a used car to search the title records and contact the prior owner to obtain service and other info. Just call her and introduce yourself and ask a few questions, if she wants to see it she will bring it up. But the dealer may have lied to you, she or her heirs may have gotten rid of it because someone died in it.

It's a 1995 Acura Integra LS, it has 131k miles on it right now. I spent about $1800 on bodywork. Tried to have the rear quarter panel rust fixed, but to no avail, it's starting to come back, and also replaced the front fender which had a dent and some corrosion, and also one of the inner fenders, and had the rear panel beneath the hatch sanded down and repainted because of a tiny little rust spot. I think I'm just going to write her a letter with a picture of the car, and call it a day. If she wants to contact me, great, if not, that's fine too...

Last edited:
Quote:

It's a 1995 Acura Integra LS, it has 131k miles on it right now. I spent about $1800 on bodywork. Tried to have the rear quarter panel rust fixed, but to no avail, it's starting to come back, and also replaced the front fender which had a dent and some corrosion, and also one of the inner fenders, and had the rear panel beneath the hatch sanded down and repainted because of a tiny little rust spot.

Quote:

elderly lady, who absolutely loved the car. He said that she was given the car to her by her husband, and when he passed away, she was too saddened by it to keep the car, as it reminded her of him. He actually said that she cried when she handed over the keys, and judging by the mountains of maintenance records I have from him, given to him by her, that she really cared about the car. It was in almost perfect condition with relatively low mileage for the year.

These two statements don't jibe in my mind.

I'm pretty sure the dent in the front fender/bumper was from when the dealer's son was using the car (he was also the one that put the stereo into the car), and the rust wasn't really a big deal but I'm a big time perfectionist. I have a stack literally an inch thick of all the maintenance she had done to this car..

I would have to say no as well. When I worked at a dealership, we never gave out personal info about the previous owner without their knowledge. If you really want to do this, contact the dealer and see if they would contact the previous owner and ask her if it would be OK for you to have her info. I know my wife would be creeped out if some dude she never know contacted her in anyway without her knowing it might happen.

ref

Go for it. Mention that you are sorry about her husband's death. But make sure you tell her you appreciate the car and are appreciative of the care she gave it.

BTW the salesman who sold me my Forrester has an 1990 (I believe) Integra with well over 224K miles on it. Just basic maintenance.

She might have changed her mind by now and offer you $20 grand to buy it back!

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R, 135k-3rd owner, bought from Ebay.

I'd say no. I have a hard time bringing up sore subjects to say "sorry 'bout that". It's easier for them to move on w/o reminders, despite how good-intended. Remember, you are a total stranger. IF you ever did contact her, just stick to easy questions about the car. Let her mention any personal history, if she wants to talk about it....THEN ok. I'd be sure to ask questions which flatter her/him like "how did you keep the ____ so good?"

As far as contacting the POs in general- My MiL bought a lot car and looked at some papers in the glove, getting the PO info and contacting her. It was an affulent woman her age, so it actually worked ok, the woman gave a good review of the car, making MiL more comfortable w/ the purchase.

No, dont muddy up the present with her past. Nice thought but its better off she not know.

I've decided to just let it be for now, if I ever have a change of heart, I might just send a letter instead. Thanks for all the tips though, it's been eating at me for a while now.

I wouldn't bother. It doesn't matter, really. You can obviously see what you have sitting in front of you and tell whether you got a good buy or not.

If the story is true, why bug her. If the story is just a story, it won't change the car any. That there are a lot of maintenance records is good, but what does it matter where it came from or the story behind it?

$.02

Don't do it.
1995 isn't exactly vintage and bring back floods of memories from days truly gone by. It is too new with potential bad memories associated with it.
Also, what if its a case of the kids taking moms car away because she was not fit to drive anymore? How will you deal with a possible negative response? It would be rather rude to just hang up at that point, better not to find out the point to begin with.

Alex.

Well I'm aware that she now drives a brand new Honda CR-V, so I know it's not the latter. But I'm letting it be for now, I don't want to make any more problems than there needs to be. Sure she might appreciate it, but I don't wanna risk her not appreciating it either. I'll just have to take care of it and know in my heart that I'm doing the right thing anyways
smile.gif

I don't know, a letter and picture showing the great care you're taking care of it and how much you're enjoying it doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Maybe the thought that the car is bring joy to someone else will give her a little boost, UNLESS the car has bad memories for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back