Engine Oil Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Members,

I bought used 1998 Camry XLE. I want's to clean my engine crankcase by using the Enigine Oil flush.

Please advise whether this procedure good for my car engine health or not. Otherwise advise me with different options.

Thank you

Chand

canada.gif

Check out the oil addatives section. Lots of info on "flushes" there. Not a good idea IMO.

Think about it. How do you dissolve/loosen/remove laquers, varnishes, gums, etc.? Strong solvents right? What do strong solvents do to oils and greases? If you do succeed in dissolving sludge, varnish, gum, etc., where does it go? Circulates in the oil and gets trapped in the filter? You hope. Does it pass over/through wear surfaces or friction points on the way to the filter? How do you know? Does any engine manufacturer recommend using motor flushes and the like? Have you read your owners handbook? If so, what does it say?

My best option is to follow the manufacturers recommended service schedule using the recommended products. Probably your best option too. If the owners handbook says use API SL rated (for example) motor oil in 10-30 grade for your type of service, then why would you do anything else? If it says to "flush" the engine with XYZ every x number of miles (bet it doesn't) then that's what you should do.

Like the guy before me implied, if it ain't broke; don't fix it.

Short answer: "flushing" an engine out with some kind of solvent product in addition to the oil is silly.

My $0.02

The Auto-RX product that gets talked about a lot here is very good and there is not the danger of breaking up big chunks since it works slowly. Change your oil and filter, dump in the stuff, run it 1500 miles, change oil and filter, run it 2000-3000 miles on just plain oil, change it again, and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back