Subaru oil crush ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the size and where I can get them?? Subaru wants $1.25 for a tiny aluminum ring, it seems very expensive to me.

Any parts store should have a generic pack of assorted drain plug crush washers. You don't have to get one exactly like the OEM crush washer, as long as it is similar to the stock one you will be fine.

Also, remember that as long as you do not overtighten the washer, you should be able to use it 2 or 3 times.

Take it to a store that specializes in fasteners and industrial fittings. You might be able to buy a while bag of them for a few bucks.

I wouldn't use a crush washer unless the manufacturer specifically mandated it. I don't like crush washers because they are too sensitive to torque.

Year - ?

Make - Subaru

Model - ?

Engine - ?

I have two Subaru, and I've bought the small bag of rings from Advance Auto. Every last one of them leaked. I buy a small bag of rings from Subaru for 0.89 cents each, they never leak. I think a standard crush washer would work just fine, too. Mine are 2006 and 2007.

Quote:

I have two Subaru, and I've bought the small bag of rings from Advance Auto. Every last one of them leaked. I buy a small bag of rings from Subaru for 0.89 cents each, they never leak. I think a standard crush washer would work just fine, too. Mine are 2006 and 2007.

I have a 97 Outback Sport that I bought new. Have changed the oil and filter around 4,000 miles for the last 10 years and have never replaced the crush washer and have never had a leak. I think its a parts resuability / marketing issue.

I had a '04 Sentra Spec V. Got them from the dealer for 79 cents. Didn't reuse them.

Subarugenuineparts.com includes them with filter purchase.

I instead use a fumoto drain valve w/ blue ring, and I never have to change a crush ring again.

Fumoto drain valves are the way to go if you can safely run them on your car. I ran one on my Subarus, but not yet on my current car. On my current car I have reused the crush washers 3-4 times and not had any problems (and they are like $.21 from the dealer). I do religiously use a torque wrench (Craftsman Digital) and torque the bolt to the 33lb/ft specified in the manual but who knows how much of a difference that makes.

Jon

Use the OEM washer. Buy a dozen from genuinesubaruparts.com My dealer used to give me a few when I bought filters. I guess your parts dept is not one of the friendly type.

Quote:

Fumoto drain valves are the way to go if you can safely run them on your car. I ran one on my Subarus, but not yet on my current car. On my current car I have reused the crush washers 3-4 times and not had any problems (and they are like $.21 from the dealer). I do religiously use a torque wrench (Craftsman Digital) and torque the bolt to the 33lb/ft specified in the manual but who knows how much of a difference that makes.

Jon

At the very least it will save the threads in your oil pan. My truck had the drain plug overtightened when I got it...I mean I had to use a hammer on the wrench to get the slightest bit of movement out of it. I had the threads chased, but I always torque the drain plug down to factory spec now to avoid damaging the threads since they are probably weakened.

Quote:

Get a drain plug with an attached rubber gasket.

Yes, those are very nice.
smile.gif

yes i bought a $30,000 + tribeca I have owned 6 Subarus to date. i Dislike spending $30,000 + on a car and to spend $1.25 on a $.05 crush ring is simthing i can understand. Fortunately My brain can'tr quite synthisize any purchase over about $500. I however truely undersrtand $1.25.

Okay, we're starting to make some real progress here. Now we know it's a Subaru Tribeca; by chance would you know the year the car was produced sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back