Fuel System Cleaner in a DI engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always used Techron System cleaner in my cars with injected engines. I now have a Mazda CX7 Direct Injection engine. Do the experts still recomend a fuel system cleaner to clean DI injectors running at 400-1600 PSIG?

hahahahahaha
popcorn.gif

Quote:

I was hoping to obtain an answer from a knowledgeable person but, no luck yet I see.

Eddie,

I know from experience that Regane is very good as well. I use that and might give my CX a treat pretty soon!

I can see your concern with spraying Techron into the cylinders....especially after seeing how fuel-dilute prone this things are.

Yes Last Z. I question the need and possible issues with Technion being injected in this DI engine. I also noted that Mazda states NO fuel Additives in the manual. I know most manufactures do not recommend any oil or fuel additives but, Mazda seems to be more adamant about no additives. Might be interesting to hear from the Audi people who really seem to have DI fuel issues.

For a DI engine, I'd use FP Plus or Lucas UCL EVERY tank - they will keep your fuel system clean, while adding some lubricant to your cylinders; which seems very desirable in these DI engines.

Dumb question I think but, the Lucus web site does not list a FP or FP+ or UCL. Have we congered up new names for Lucus products or ?? Inlighten me please. Ed

Only reason not to use a solvent cleaner would be if there was some special kind of seals around the injectors that might swell. With UCL or FP you wouldn't have to worry about that, FP has a very light solvent and UCL has none, wereas Techron is mostly solvent. In any situation FP and UCL are going to be fine, even add MMO to that. Even with a solvent cleaner if you use it occasionally you will be fine. Manu's are big babies, they never want you to do nothing to their cars, even putting in less restrictive air cleaners is never recommended but yet is one of the best things you can do for your engine.

Does the engine require premium fuel? If so it might be they don't need additional cleaners. If Mazda says you shouldn't use fuel additives I would follow their advice. I have never seen a manufacturer say anything about fuel additives before. What issues are Audi owners having?

John K: The Mazda CX7 requires 91 octane fuel. I read from this news group that the direct injection engine produced by Audi are prone to fuel dilutions issues.

You might give the people at RLI a call about their fuel conditioner. They do have some experience with DI and the RI_RS4 project thread on this site. At least you can ask questions of the actual people that do the formulations.

Quite a few Audi RS4 owners have been using FP60, FP Plus, or RLI BioPlus in these engines with good results, under Terry Dyson's guidance. I've used all three in mine and currently have 30K miles on my engine, 15K of which was with BioPlus. When I pulled my plugs at 25K miles there were no signs of any combustion chamber issues. Those plugs could have easily gone to 50K miles.

Quote:

Quite a few Audi RS4 owners have been using FP60, FP Plus, or RLI BioPlus in these engines with good results, under Terry Dyson's guidance. I've used all three in mine and currently have 30K miles on my engine, 15K of which was with BioPlus. When I pulled my plugs at 25K miles there were no signs of any combustion chamber issues. Those plugs could have easily gone to 50K miles.

I plan on going with FP Plus here shortly.

Quote:

RS4, I have a few bottles of the BioPlus. What is the regime you are using? Do you run one ounce every fill up or do you just do the 2 ounce cleaning every few thousand miles?

Quote:

RS4, I have a few bottles of the BioPlus. What is the regime you are using? Do you run one ounce every fill up or do you just do the 2 ounce cleaning every few thousand miles?

I use one ounce every fillup.

I purchased a gallon of the stuff, and then looked around for a good measuring bottle for it to carry in my trunk. Finally I found a bottle of Stabil in my local Autozone store that was perfect. I dumped the stabilizer into my snowblower and pressure washer, rinsed it a few times with FP3000, and then filled it with Bioplus. It has a 1/2 ounce measuring compartment and is easy to fill.

Stabil_r4_c2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back