Found something interesting in my PP bottle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil the other night and put in some Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 for the first time. I was looking forward to trying it after hearing about how great it was on this site. Anyway, got all the way done and was pouring the last quart in when I noticed the bottom of the container. It had some brown looking sediment or something in it. I checked all the containers and they all had it to some degree, some worse than others. I had not poured all the oil out of the last quart, so I shook it up really well, then poured the rest into the engine. It still had the brown stuff on the bottom.

Apparently some of the additive or something settled out to the bottom. What could that have been and should I be concerned enough to drain it now, drain it early, or fugetaboutit?

Here's some pics I took.
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/theedge67/?action=view&current=P7310093.jpg

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/theedge67/?action=view&current=P7310090.jpg

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/theedge67/?action=view&current=P7310089.jpg

I'm sending an e-mail to Pennzoil today. Car is running fine, I'll see what they say before I do anything.

Also, the oil was not that old. I think the dates were from Dec. 06 - May 07...I'll check further on that later today when I get home.

Same problem - changed oil yesterday and noticed brown sediment on the bottom of PP 5W20 1 quart containers...
Not as bad as your pics though... I'll check date code tonight.

Check out this picture I took of some older Pennzoil I saw in a pharmacy yesterday:

oldpennzoilrs8.jpg

Seems like what you're experiencing but on a much grander scale. How would you like to put this into your motor?
laugh.gif

I've seen this in the past with many different oils. IMO it's from oil not being moved and the additives are settling out as many additives are heat activated.

What I've done for the past few years is to flip flop my bottles on a monthly basis. While this might seem rediculous to most, I've not seen any settling since I've adopted this practice.

I have used 15 quarts of 5W30 PP now and have yet to see anything on the bottom of the bottles...and I was looking to make sure.

It's just additive dropout... no really I dunno what this is, I have seen it before at the bottom of bottles. I would think it is better there than in engine I hardly doubt one could see additives...at the amount they are in oil ,parts per million, you have hit the jackpot! Me too...I have seen it in convetional and synthetic bottles I am glad somebody posted this so we can get to the bottom of it...
dunno.gif

FWIW, I have spoken to the Pennzoil techs about how long PP will stay "in suspension". The official answer is: "if stored indoors 5 years minimum".

Bruce should chime in here. I imagine (this is my imagination speaking here) that he would say that the carrier or additive content may have been off for that/those batches. That in a properly blended batch, assuming that the raw content is of the appropriate composite, that anything falling out of suspension was either excess additives ..or too little carrier oil to suspend it.

..keep in mind that my imagination can be full of 'stuff'.
grin.gif

Could it be rusty pipes or tanks dureing bottleing? Sediment for the above? I too have seen this stuff and it is rather large and dark I can not see the additives getting together in groups large enough for me to see with the naked eye!

I had the same problem with Mobil-1 5W-30 around 2002. I contacted Mobil several times by e-mail, snail mail, and by phone asking what the sediment was, and they never got back to me. So now I dont use Mobil-1

found same dark brown ring along the sides of bottom of bottle in the 5w-30 PENNZOIL PLATINUM dated from FEBRUARY '07 . Looked into bottom of VALVOLINE SAE 30 that's in the white bottle and no ring around the bottom sides . Was going to put the PLATINUM 5w-30 in the '07 PRIUS for next oil change , not so now , wait until this matter has got to bottom of things .
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back