Kohler Command 10w30,anything special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In spite of all the web lore that talks about noisy Kohler lifters, in warm weather I don't think you are at the upper viscosity limit.

I've used Rotella 10W-30 in mine, a 11.9 cSt @ 100ºC oil. That's a similar viscosity to GC at the same temp. I've also used a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 products, with an estimated viscosity of 13.5 cSt @ 100ºC. I can't tell any difference in startup, noise levels, or performance in warm weather.

All of these oils along with many 10W-40's and 15W-40's are going to be similar in viscosity to the Kohler recommended 10W-30 all the way to 0ºC or slightly below.

I have to agree with Bob. I think it's not as critical as they make it out to be at Kohler, and their recommendations are mostly self serving.

"as the reports of lifter noise with the Command series seem to start with heavier 40s."

The "reports" I've seen seem to indicate using too thick of an oil and getting start noise in the lifters. That is until the lifters have beat themselves to death and are noisy ALL the time.

Late to this thread ... and my home machine can't open most PDFs.

Anyway, I agree that there probably isn't anything too special about the Kohler oil ... although their claim of shear-resistance intrigues me. I don't like the fact that PCMOs usually shear a full grade in normal use ... even some synthetics.

I'd use a 10W-30 HDEO in a heartbeat.

Yes, I thought it strange that a 15W-40 is recommended by JD (OK, not the engine manufacturer) for temps down to 0F ... a lot lower than straight 30. Now, I'm willing to bet that at those temps, it flows better than straight 30 ... but nothing quite that dramatic.

I agree that valve lifter noise is most likely to result from too thick and oil rather than too thin of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back