What is the best oil in harley 1450 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi is there someone who have some oil study about what is the best oil in harley 1450 engine , tranny and primary . Thanks

welcome.gif

hang on for the ride

IMCOMING...

haha, seriously, you will get several opinions. I suggest doing some searches on this and the motorcycle used oil analysis forums. Amsoil, Redline and Mobil V-Twin are all excellent. You will not find a consensus on which is "best" though.

Engine: Amsoil MCV 20W-50 M/C oil or TRO 20W-50 racing oil, Redline 20W-50 or 20W-60HD, or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50

Primary: Lots of options; Amsoil 10W-40 or 20W-50 or Automatic Trans Fluid, Redline MTL or ATF, Mobil V-Twin 10W-40 or 20W-50, or HD Formula+ or many others

Transmission: Redline Heavy Shockproof or 75W-90, Amsoil 75W-90 or 75W-110, Mobil 1 75W-90.

Best for one person is not best for another. If you change your oil often and don't stress the oil very much then a synthetic is probably not best. I change mine once a year and beat it up a little so I like the extra cushion of a good synthetic, especially in the engine and the transmission.

Last edited:
This is always a popular question - and very heated at times, too. Just do a search and you'll get all sorts of opinions. Anyway, I own 3 harleys, 2 of them Twin Cams like yours. I've settled on this combo which works well for me: I use Redline 20W/60HD V-Twin oil in the engines. I just started with it because I was given 2 cases as a gift. Prior to this I used Mobil 1 V-Twin with success. I just came back from a 3000 mile ride on the Redline and no issues, quiet engine and I noticed that the oil temp never got above 230 in the hot days of 95degrees. With the Mobil 1 I would see 240-250 all based on the dipstick temp display however accurate it may be. For the Trans I settled on Mobil 1 gear oil 75W/90 years ago, works well and shifts are very smooth and less clunky. For the Primary I stuck with the Harley Formula+, also stick with the Harley 5 micron filters. You cannot use an EVO filter on a Twin cam or vice-versa.

You would be well served with M1 V-Twin since it is easy to get, heck I used regular Mobil 1 car oil in my old Iron Head sportster for 30,000 miles w/o issues. Still runs great today. If you want the dino route, I hear that Havoline 20W/50 is great - see fueltankerman's posts and UOA's.

One thing I can say for sure - stay away from the SYN3 oil as it is overpriced for the performance it gives. It'll be one thing to run it in the engine but don't use it in the trans and primary! I already did it, it is awful. ROugh shifts, clunky, etc. Even my local HD dealer is steering customers away from SYN3 in all 3 holes.

There, here's my opinion and it doesn't make it the best - just what works well for me and that's what makes this board so great - sharing information with others.

BTW - enjoy that bike!

Quote:

Hi is there someone who have some oil study about what is the best oil in harley 1450 engine , tranny and primary . Thanks

cfromc (and the others) have summed it up nicely. No bullets, no arrows.

If you want to read the Amsoil study, look at the Amsoil recommendations, etc it's all on this page: Amsoil PowerSports All I ask is you contact me, or buy through my links, as proceeds support this site. Thanks and indeed:
welcome.gif
(This place is addicting and next thing you'll be thinking way too much about the oil in your car as well!)
tongue.gif

Thank you for the information , it's very interesting to get opinions on oil , right now i'm still on the harley oil , 20w50 non sinthetic in the engine , and for the primaru and transmission the same harley oil, i don,t like the clunk when shifting maybe going with the 75W90 will be better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back